1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lower Limits of US-05

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GreenKrusty101, May 4, 2013.

1. Just brewed 10 gals of Cali-Common...5 with WLP-810, 5 with US-05. Both were fermented @ 57*F and were identical beers.

The WLP-810 batch was under-hopped and over-malted, but the lager characteristics were smooth. The US-05 batch was a diaceytl bomb and is currently being blended with a Mosaic Pale Ale to make it drinkable.

BTW: temp was allowed to free-rise to 67*F on both after 4 days.

Yes, you can get diaceytl from US-05 : )

2. It is my understanding that you will obtain diacetyl from any ale yeast strain but with time (a few days of conditioning) the yeast will process the diacetyl and the resulting beer should have a low amount of diacetyl (hopefully below the taste threshold).

Chris White wrote a good white paper on the diacetyl timeline during fermentation:http://www.whitelabs.com/content/diacetyl-time-line

Note: it appears that White Labs ‘updated’ their website. The linked article doesn’t have the figures which I have on a saved/downloaded article I have on my PC (in pdf). Figure 1 is a graph which indicates that the diacetyl level will get down to 0.1 ppm when the fermentation reaches the stationary phase.

Cheers!

3. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

That surprising to me. I just kegged a blonde ale that was a repitch of US05 and it fermented right about 55-58 and no ramp up. Kegged after 10 days and it is great. No esters or anything almost, dare I say, lagerish

4. I'm thinking it's all relative...the WLP-810 was just sooo much cleaner (keep in mind this was a CaliCommon so I guess that's not surprising)

5. Mfedonczak

Mfedonczak Aficionado (190) Florida Aug 18, 2008

Did you notice any peach esters at that temp? I have always heard that it start to throw peach esters in the low 60s and below.

6. I've occasionally gotten peach esters at the high end of the band...72-75*F, but never in the low 60s...US-05 is normally very clean in the low-mid 60s...this was 57*F though.

7. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

You said it free rose to 57-67 over four days. How long after the fourth day did you give the yeast to take care of the diacetyl before deciding it was a diacetyl bomb that needed blending?

8. No, it fermented for 4 days @ 57, then I let it free rise to 67 over 2 weeks

pweis909 likes this.
  9. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

I got peach esters once when brewing with US05 fermented out at around 62F

10. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Out of curiosity, was the noticeably higher flocculation?

11. Maybe...but it has been floccing well in just about all beers lately. Kinda hard to tell as it bulk conditioned for over a month.

12. rfc2323

rfc2323 Zealot (85) Vermont Aug 4, 2009

You can find the PDF with the figures here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20101202093010/http://whitelabs.com/beer/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf