1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lucky Shelf Pulls

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pecan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Not too long ago, I was going around searching for a bottle of 10th Anniversary Utopias. I missed the release by months and was just hoping to get lucky. After 3 stores, I was getting pretty pessimistic and considered skipping the last store on my list. Sure am glad I didn't!

I asked someone if they could check to see if they had any, so while they went in back to check, I decided to look around a bit. As I passed a shelf, I noticed a 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek 750 sitting on the shelf. Jackpot! I thought I'd at least be getting something if they were out of Utopias. When I got back to the front, I was greeted by TWO Utopias boxes.

After confirming I would indeed take both, the girl behind the counter asked if I'd be interested in anything else. As she asked, she pulled out an Ivan the Terrible. Apparently they had just gotten it that day and had a very limited supply.

So overall, my lucky shelf pulls on a stop I almost didn't make:
    3F Schaerbeekse Kriek
    2012 Utopias x2
    Ivan the Terrible

So what are your luckiest unexpected finds?
  2. Damn, that's an expensive endeavor! I thought I was the luckiest man alive when I went into a random bottle shop, off of a random highway, in a town I didn't know the name of, in a state I've never been to, only to find a sixer of Hopslam!
  3. Four Four packs of 08 BCBS in 2010. Changed my life.
    Hopsiam14, dsal89 and aasher like this.
  4. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (395) New York Jan 13, 2010

A case of KBS
    A case of BCBS Coffee
    FW Parabola

All wayyyyy after they'd been released and sold out elsewhere, at this random new 24 hour beer deli in my sleepy neighborhood of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
    Pecan and JxExM like this.
  5. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

4pk of 2010 Ten Fidy and a FW 14 a few weeks ago.
    Eriktheipaman and afrokaze like this.
  6. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Went in to a small shop yesterday to pick up a sixer of ruthless rye. Ended up with Backwoods Bastard, Black Ops OPS, and BCBS.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Not a shelf pull, but on two separate occasions over the last two years I just happened to walk into the same bottle shop right as they were tapping Pliny the Younger.

Not all that lucky since I wasn't all that overwhelmed by the beer, but I'm glad I had a couple chances to try it to decide that for myself—especially since I didn't really have to go to any extra effort to do so.

Same store also opened a magnum of Deviation and passed out free pours, right when I was standing right near the bar.
    jnoble and podunkparte like this.
  8. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

A few years ago heading home from a meeting I went into a liquor store I heard had a good selection, but had not been to, since it was nowhere near where I lived. The fact I was unfamiliar with the place made me look through the doors more carefully. The final door I was looking in (30+doors), on the floor tucked behind a small vertical metal bar, I saw my first Pliny in person. 4 bottles there, so I took 2 and left 2 so someone else could score. Brought it to the register and cashier asked "where the hell did you find these?". Love that beer.
  9. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

Found a four pack of 2011 BCBS in saline Michigan before BCBS was much easier to get.
  10. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I too once found 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek on the shelf. I didn't consider myself lucky to be facing a world renowned beer that costs $35 for a 750. I didn't buy it.

Luckiest was last year when I walked into Whole Foods and there were cases of Hopslam. Sadly, I only bought one six pack.
  11. 510a

510a Savant (345) Washington Jan 12, 2013

I recently found 2 bottles of Abyss, FW 14 and 15 at different small , off the beaten path bottle shops.
  12. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I never have this kind of luck, so I was pretty surprised on a recent once-every-couple-months stop at Bevmo to find a full line of BA Bigfoots on the shelf. I bought a few, but not all of them! Hopefully someone else had a similar experience after me.
  13. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Probably not the luckiest I've ever been but I snagged FW Sucaba off the shelf 6 months after it was released. Since I don't live in the sticks and FW is locally distributed to my area, it's not all that surprising but I'd be lying I said it didn't make my day.
  14. I see the 3F schaersbeeksee all the time. My lucky one was a 2TD on the shelf last week.
  15. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

My brother in-law on Friday going into some random store and finding 2 bottles of Bourbon County Coffee and Cherry Rye. He called me and goes "Yahtzee MotherFuc$#R"! I almost fell out of my chair. lol
  16. I snagged a Fantome de Noel, and 2012 Sucaba about 2-3 weeks ago... I was stoked.
  17. chetw

chetw Aficionado (170) Pennsylvania Jan 24, 2013

Walked into local my Wegmans supermarket twice over the last two weeks first week Nugget Nectar and the second Hopslam.
  18. chetw

chetw Aficionado (170) Pennsylvania Jan 24, 2013

Just thought old one over ten years ago. Went to a store in NY and found King and Barnes Festive Ale. Still one of my favorite beers of all time.
  19. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I was in the Cranford, NJ area for business a few weeks ago and was visiting a friend who works at one of the better bottle shops there. We were chatting in the back and I saw they had some Lagunitas Sucks. He said they'd only gotten 2 cases. Well just then another employee comes back to ask if there was any Lagunitas Sucks left because some other beer geek really wanted some. We told him no then bought the rest of it up and had a good ol' time drinking it over the next couple nights.
    oregone, MisterGrizz, j47paco and 5 others like this.
  20. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I've been in search of Parabola as of late (got into BA stouts this winter and never had it and really want to try it) and couldn't find any anywhere, so I figured it was a lost cause and I'd get some in May. Well after a movie last week I went to a diner near me saw a bottle of it staring me in the face. It was a 2011 bottle and I kindly asked the young waiter to wrap it up, she was coming home with me. That was a great find and only $20 at a diner
    4kbrianb likes this.
  21. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Indirect find...I asked a friend in SoCal to stop at a liquor store and look for some things for me recently, he finds Beatification B2 for $20.
    PlinyBeMiney, JustXBeer and semibaked like this.
  22. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

What you did there? I see it.
    accordselux and leedorham like this.
  23. Bolt Cutter and CBS.
  24. FIVE BCBCS bottles at $12.99/bottle last week. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time!
  25. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

A while back I went to my usual shop where I'm on a first name basis with most of the employees, and I was looking for Hopslam since I knew it was about that time. I asked the manager if they had any in, but he said it wouldn't be there for another week or so. He then quietly slipped me a bottle of Enjoy By, and showed me the only case of it they received, and I was holding the second to last bottle. It was a good day : )
  26. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Im a little leary to believe this one. Living in So.Cal myself. I highly doubt ANY Beat would be left. left alone a B2. Reciept or it didnt happen. Not being a dick, but this would go down as one of the greatest finds EVER.

Cheers!
  27. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Lessee, how about walking into a place a couple years ago and found FSW 13 marked to the price of the regular FSW offerings. Checked with the staff and it was correct. A friend and I cleaned them out.
    A few weeks ago walked into another and found they had Brooklyn Black Ops and BCBS available.
    Lastly, walked into yet another today and found out they got a shipment of Bourbon Barrel Bigfoot.
  28. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

In my very busy local beer shop on sat, I managed to walk in JUST as they were unpacking their entire stock (a whoppin' 6 bottles) of barrel-aged bigfoot. No, not as phenomenal as the above stories, but considering it was sold out in an hour, still a remarkable coincidence.
  29. I walked into my local store a few weeks ago and they had 3 bottles of 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek, so I picked up a bottle.

Today I walked into my local Total Wine and they had 2 bottles of Bolt Cutter just sitting there; I bought them both.
    Pecan likes this.
  30. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know the receipt simply says "BEER" but it is what it is. Nothing to gain by making shit up! The vig was purchased with it (it was under the counter and only produced when asked if they were getting any Cantillon, and that is all they would sell).
  31. I walked into a store, a shitty one mind you, asked if they had any BCS Coffee... was answered yes and.. guy brings out a case of cherry rye, I only had enough money to buy 4 bottles :'( he was doing his damn best to make me buy the whole case
  32. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Got lucky enough to buy Funk Werks Solstice and Bligh's Barleywine....in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I was also able to grab a bunch of Bourbon County Coffee from a little-hole-in-the-wall liquor store. Cheers :)
  33. 3 weeks ago I found a 2011 BA Old Ruffian, 2012 Sucaba and a Cuir from the bruery...and in Phoenix, this never happens.
  34. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Found 2 bottles of Double Crooked Tree in a small town IGA - Vintage 2007 over the holidays. OMG what 6 years did to this beer. Had the last one just this past Friday.
    craigo19 likes this.
  35. loafinaround

:eek:
    SixPack6 and MisterGrizz like this.
  36. i know, and fuck me if i bought a bottle of coffee instead of a CR because i had no clue if i'd like the CR..
    MisterGrizz and loafinaround like this.
  37. I actually found a store with Cantillon on the shelf before.
    darky and drperry11 like this.
  38. loafinaround

I did that too the first time around. I'm an idiot.
  39. being a good person i told the rest of chicago about it after i checked my bank account and realized i could infact get one more cherry. i ended up with 4 total... two are already gone... "(
  40. loafinaround

I only managed to get 2. And one (along with a barrel-aged bigfoot) I'm giving to a very close friend. Only one for greedy bourbon girl. Please cry w/ me.