1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lucky Shelf Pulls

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pecan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Where?
  2. tears are coming out... that reminds me im thirsty... i should drink something
  3. I'm a simple guy:
    FBS
    Abyss
    Serpents stout
    3f Oude gueze
  4. buckeyeboy

buckeyeboy Zealot (95) Idaho Jan 30, 2007

3 Cantillon beers and to think I was nice and left one for the next guy.
  5. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

With that I just shat my pants. Excuse me. Cleanup at my desk.

Cheers!
  6. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

A few years back, I found (8) Stone 10th Anniversary 3 Ltrs in the back of a liquor store. I bought them all at the original price of 59.95. At the time, they were a little over a year old and after tasting, they lost some hop bite but still pretty damn good. I still have 1 left and theyre drinking like a pretty damn fine barley wine.
    jebsinger likes this.
  7. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Scored 5 Cantillon Gueuze and 5 Kriek 750's. Since I bought them they will only be one per person if they ever get cantillon again. Was also getting 750 angels share in PA two years ago.
  8. Walked into a random distributor here in PA last year and got a case of Abacus 2011 for $75.
  9. how does one get access to a distributor's holding tank of goodies
  10. When I refer to that, here in PA, you can go into a beer "distributor" retail front and purchase only by the case.
  11. ijaap

ijaap Aficionado (190) Washington Jan 5, 2013

4 bottles of Firestone 14 at a local bottle shop. Randomly found an abyss in late December. In an Albertsons. Tucked behind Pyramid Hefe. I was pretty damn excited about that one.
  12. ahhh
  13. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Aficionado (160) New York Jan 12, 2012

While I was back in Milwaukee last April I went to stock up on some stuff I can't get here in NYC (Bell's, Three Floyd's, New Glarus...) before a road trip back east. I started talking with the woman that does all the beer ordering for the store (Discount Liquor). We talked beer for quite a while and then at the end she told me she had something in back I'd like that had just arrived that day but they weren't putting on the shelves yet. She came back with a bottle of CW 1414. At the time I hadn't even heard of it.
    adamcarlson28 and jebsinger like this.
  14. ZPag

ZPag Zealot (95) New York Dec 3, 2012

A few weeks ago I went into a store and they had 5 bottles of Bolt Cutter marked at $11.99 and 4 bottles of 2012 Sucaba marked $13.99. I bought all of the Sucaba and 3 bolt cutters. Considering the cheapest I found them anywhere else was $21.99. This store also had bottles of The Bruery Black Orchard and Orchard White which I also bought.
  15. 2012 BCBS for $3.99, got 8. Walked on and saw (12) 2010 Espresso Yeti's for $8.99, got 5 (One of my all time Fav's). Got to the counter to find 2 btls of BCBS Coffee just sitting there for $9.99. One of the best $100 purchases ever.
    Fluteswell, jgluck, ESeab and 5 others like this.
  16. i just happened to stop into a giant (grocery store) in pa because i heard that this specific one had a pretty good beer selection. much to my surprise i find the last 6 pack of hopslam that they had sitting on the shelf.
    Providence likes this.
  17. A 750 of Cantillon Classic Gueuze in a cooler at a liquor store in the San Fernando Valley.
    baybassboy likes this.
  18. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (200) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Tonight, i went to a bottle shop that i had never been to before and found 5 bottles of '12 FW Abacus. I did only buy one since i told the lady i would slow the beer purchasing. But for $11.99, i shouldve bought all 5.
  19. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

All Bruery special releases in December, although I knew what was there, It was still shelf, and I felt lucky :)
  20. $12.99? $9.99? This thread is making it really hard for me to decide on what $4$ value I should be placing on BCBCS! :p
  21. beefmental

beefmental Aficionado (215) Iowa May 26, 2005

Roughly a year ago I walked into a HyVee Wine & Spirits and found multiple bottles of BCBCS sitting next to just as many bottles of King Henry. I bought 4 of each, leaving the majority of bottles for the next guy.
  22. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Savant (400) Colorado Dec 15, 2009

A few months ago, I went into my local and found BCBVS on two separate occasions about couple months apart. Owner said he has a standing order and never knew when/if anything arrives; about 8 bottles total! Still got a few left :D
    I will add, when I was paying a guy coming through the door noticed them, so I let him have one, since these were the last few.
    Fluteswell likes this.
  23. Theses stories make me sad. Living in NH is great, except that I never find great bottles on shelves.
    mklisz and TheMonkfish like this.
  24. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

1) Back in early '04, I happened across (I think) 8 bottles of the '02 Southampton Peconic County Reserve Ale gathering dust at some beat store in Riverhead, Long Island.
    I bought one for the take home and try, and then came back and took the rest of 'em the next week, even being offered a $1 off per bottle if I took the lot of them.

2) Back in late '05, I happened upon a crappy now closed bevee with the usual micros and macros and a shelf of odds and ends. Hello, a single Liefmans Goudenband, thumb away the paper, and see the date on the cork as 1992. The same thing for the single Liefmans Frambozen alongside of it. Brought 'em up to the counter and asked "Do you know how old these are?" The guy replies, "Oh, those, maybe a year or two", and I show the corks and say "Do you when 1992 was?" But I pay full price on them at $4.50 a piece (a steal for 13 year old Liefmans 375's). The Goudenband was oxidized as shit but the Frambozen, oh, the Frambozen, my, the Frambozen, ah, the Frambozen, aye, the Frambozen, was wonderful. Went back to the store again a week later, and now they've got one more Frambozen out there and the Kriek in its bright red paper wrapper. Thumb the paper away, the Kriek is a '91. I take 'em both, again for $4.50 each. The Kriek has lost something on it, probably not what it was meant to be, but was still pretty damn good. The Frambozen, again, was wonderful. When I went back to ask about taking them all, I am directed to those 3 cases up there in the rafters (2 Frambozen, 1 Kriek). I say to the guy "You didn't have any Krieks out on the shelf the first time I was here. Would you have never put them out had I not taken the other ones you had on the shelf?" he just kind of shrugs, like a guy who has cases of old Liefmans up atop a shelving unit collecting dust would. Oh, and buy a case of 12, only pay for 11, so that's under $50 a case.
  25. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Yep. At least we can take solace that for the most part these beers never hit the shelf in the first place. Distro sure is getting a lot better - but we're going to need a lot of time to catch up! :)
  26. Not huge, but I frequent a restaurant that had (I slowly drank them all) Rodenbach Gran Cru's that were at least 4 years old, 1809's that were old enough to be kinda moldy (Outside... the inside was amazing), and they still have some 5-6 year old Samiclaus, Helles and Classic that are drinking amazingly.

Same place I got a year old Fantome Noel, 3 year old Avery Czar, and last year they had sucks waaay after it was long gone.
  27. DruRho

DruRho Initiate (0) Maryland Sep 3, 2012

Last summer I found 6 x 2007 DFH Raison D'Extras collecting dust in a case atop a shelf in a popular bottle shop. The owner forgot they were even there, despite the shelf being right in front of the register.
    Lantern likes this.
  28. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Would have to be the time I got the call the 2011 BCBS was in and along with my 4pk I bought 4 bottles of King Henry.
    Next best, muddling into 6 bottles of 2011 Raison de Extra in 2011 at a bit over $3 per.
  29. DruRho

DruRho Initiate (0) Maryland Sep 3, 2012

Last year Raison D'Extra was made was 2007.
    Lantern likes this.
  30. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

One of my favorite finds was a bottle of Guava Grove (sour version). Picked it up on a trip to NY this summer just because it was Cigar city. Didn't know that it was the sour version until I tasted it. Was very pleased.
  31. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

DruRho likes this.
  32. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (275) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

This thread makes me want to stop at every liquor store I see...you just never know!
  33. This may not be exactly what the OP was looking for since it was an announced event, but it was a damn good day (a few months ago at my local bottle shop) and all the beers were available for whoever wanted:

http://imgur.com/cxAhl
    Pecan likes this.
  34. jdhende

jdhende Savant (345) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

Nowhere near as crazy as lots of these stories, but 2012 Sucuba on clearence at a binnys in the western suburbs. $12.99 I grabbed the last bottle before I could even blink.
  35. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (410) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

Where is this!! I see your from Cape May, I am in Philly and have a house in OC, NJ
  36. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Two 4-packs of 2012 BCBS that were not priced on the floor and rang up at $ 15.99 at a shop I had never visited before. I asked the gal if that was their regular price and she said "YUP"! Needless to say....these were the last 2 they had.
  37. I'm not bull-crapping you when I tell you this: I went to Delaware for a wedding a few months back, and while I was there I went to a local store and brought up to the counter a 4-pack of World Wide Stout, and a 4-pack of 120 IPA. I was excited, I had never had it before. I was fully prepared to pay over $60 for the two, the guy rang it up and he said "$18". I looked at him confused and said, "for two bottles?", and he replied, "no, for both the 4-packs". I didn't argue, I paid $18 for both 4-packs and left promptly. It's not my fault he was incompetent.
    jgluck likes this.
  38. Found a 2012 Firestone Walker Sucaba for $14.99 yesterday! Got the last bottle. Definitely one of my best finds. Finding BCBCS was my next best find.
  39. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

The best ones I've had were Heady Topper, FBS, Backwods Bastard, & some Cantillon.
  40. nopucophop

nopucophop Savant (280) New York Mar 6, 2009

My friends and I went to Otter Creek Brewing back in 2010-2011. We had a growler of theirs with the hours posted on the growler. When we got there with in the posted schedule they were closed. All bummed out we were driving back and noticed a beer store. We stopped and a great girl working behind the counter cheered us up by acting like a tour guide in the store. She was actually pretty funny about it. Well to the shelf pull...I found 5 bottles of Oro de Calabaza at I think $6.99. These were actually the champagne style bottles. So this as awesome!!!! The only thing I can figure is that these had been sitting in the back of the shelf since Jolly Pumpkin was only $7 a bottle.