1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lucky Shelf Pulls

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pecan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Found a 4 pack of Narwhal just randomly sitting on a display case after having not seen it on shelves for a few weeks. Then stopped at another store closer to home and found some Beer Geek Breakfast Stouts and BCBS's collecting dust on a shelf. Pretty good recent finds if I don't say so my self.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. I work at a pretty big bottle shop and get excited when the truck comes on Thursday's. When I saw them unloading 4 cases of bcbcs, cherry, and bcbs I nearly cried tears of joy.

jzeilinger likes this.
  3. Skull40

Skull40 Savant (250) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

The last time BCBCS was released, I asked a store owner about it. They stated that they didn't receive any, but they asked me if I wanted to buy a King Henry. I did.

4. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (385) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

found these hiding at a liquor store recently

1 Bruery Fruet
    2 GI Bramble's
    1 2011 Goose Island Coffee
    2 FW Parabola's
    2 FW 15th

SkeeterBoganski likes this.
  5. GI BCBS Rare $42. I saw it out of the corner of my eye.

ChanChan likes this.
  6. JZ468

JZ468 Aficionado (225) New Mexico Jan 3, 2012

A case of Odell Mountain Standard for $11. Normally $11 a four pack

creepinjeeper and Skye1024 like this.
  7. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Today I found 2 bottles of Deschutes The Abyss at a local grocery store! (It's finally out in TX)

ChanChan and ddegennaro like this.
  8. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (240) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

42 12 oz bottles of BCBS with a generous case discount

semibaked likes this.
  9. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Winner, thats really really cheap

10. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (275) New York Jun 25, 2010

Probably 7 months ago I found 1 bottle of King Henry in a random grocery store in Brooklyn...ever since I've wanted to go into every random store, ya know, just in case...

plemori likes this.
  11. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Zealot (90) Wisconsin Jan 22, 2013

Walked into one of my local shops a few weeks ago, only to randomly find a few bottles of Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze just sittin' on the shelf! I was stoked because I haven't seen it around my area before & I love me some gueuze!

12. Found a case of 2007 and 2009 World Wide Stout in the back room of a store about 1 year ago. That's probably my best

Lantern and DruRho like this.
  13. Guy-T

Guy-T Disciple (60) Michigan Jan 21, 2013

A week ago I walked into a store looking for bcbs, said let me look in the back. Came out with a 4 pack of Backwoods Bastard. While buying it he pulled out a bottle of Frangelic Mountain Brown. Couldn't believe it, thought I was gonna miss out on both!!

14. not trying to be a dick but the store around the corner from my house at this moment literally has about 6 bottles of sucaba 12 and at least four bottles of bolt cutter and a few four packs of bcbs just sitting on the shelf i have bought all i can affford and thats whats left its like no one knows whats there

15. If you don't mind, what store?

16. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (420) New York Jan 13, 2010

They're sold out now but 94th and 3rd in Bay Ridge. If you're looking for BCBS Coffee check out the corner deli on 5th and Berkeley. They have about 6 bottles left at $16.99

beerchange likes this.
  17. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

In the fall I went looking for Stone enjoy by in Toledo and got the last 6 pack of Bell's This One Goes to 11. New Years Day I was at a Whole Foods and found three bottles of Bolt Cutter, but the wife was with me and she limited my purchase to one.

18. Time to make and agree on some New Year resolutions in your house! :cool:

Pecan likes this.
  19. I was in NY on business last year and hit up one of the stores recommended in the regional forums. Place had Kuhnnen 4D, Firestone XV, Frangelic Mountain Brown, a Blushing Monk, 30th anniversary Sierra Nevadas and flower power on draft. I had to drink like 4 bottles in the hotel when I realized I couldn't fit all of it in my 22 inch carry on.

20. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Theres a place I found with at least 2 Utopias bottles for $220 here in Chicago.
    If anyone needs it and trusts me with their money to send it!

Pecan likes this.
  21. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

A couple years ago, found a bomber of Imperial Stout Trooper 7 months after it hit shelves.
    Last week, I found a bottle of BCBCS and Black Ops.

22. LuisQ

LuisQ Aficionado (145) Florida Jan 9, 2013

Found a 1.5 yr old espresso oak aged yeti. Sure, not a huge find. But delicious, nonetheless.

ChanChan likes this.
  23. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (355) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Late last year I found 2 4pks of Founders Backwoods Bastard sitting on a shelf at a local shop long after I had given up hope of finding it. Nothing earth shattering, I know, but I was silly excited about finding it!

cnbrown313 likes this.
  24. king75

king75 Savant (420) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

Today I went into one of my local shops and found Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia 2011. Got two bottles for $16

25. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Found 4 bottles of BCBCS at a Jewel Osco in Chicago. Right place at the right time. Also snagged a Still Nacht Reserva 2010 off the shelf.

26. smithm1970

smithm1970 Aficionado (140) Ohio Jan 11, 2010

I choose to finally break my silence.

About 6 years ago, I was in Louisville Ky at a bottle shop. I found on the back of the shelf 6 bottles of Alexander Rodenbach. In literally one of my very first trades, I traded 3 of them to JoJoMa, and yes, I did get all the beers he promised..along with a Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde as an extra (I added a 2003 DFH WWS, among others).

Part of me will always believe I significantly contributed to the JoJoMa/tulip bulb bubble burst. If I only knew how rare those were then..or the storm it would create..I had no idea.

BTW..this really is a true story.

27. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (370) Germany Jan 22, 2012

I could have scored two cases of BCBS this year. After getting the first one and selling most of the 4 packs away the second case I saw on the shelfs I only picked up 2 4 packs. I would have kept both cases but I am moving to Germany.

Where this is not that big of a deal BCBS only made it to Central AR and never hit the shelfs in almost every store. Most stores had a list with a 2 bottle limit.

28. caseyoharaa

caseyoharaa Savant (280) California Nov 15, 2009

Nothing crazy by the standards set by some of you, but I was pretty stoked to find a bottle of Cantillon Classic Gueuze and Epic's First Batch NZIPA today at my local home brew shop.

29. Walked into a random store tonight and found a 2001 Lou Pepe Framboise. Best part, only $10. Lady said she pulled it out of her cellar to sell. Paid and ran as fast as I could.

30. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

A couple of days ago I found eight bottles of 2011 3 Philosophers sitting on the shelf of a local shop, he said "I found them in the back and just put 'em out a couple of days ago".

I picked up a couple and I'm debating about picking up some more for trades, anyone think it would be good trading stock?

31. Roger85

Roger85 Advocate (540) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I know this beer isn't well liked on this site, but when I went to a tasting at my local shop last night and saw that they had put a case of Frangelic Mountain Brown on the shelf, I bought two bottles of it. And it made my night.

32. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (725) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Sounds like you hit a grey market jackpot, Funkwerks and Dry Dock aren't even available everywhere in CO let alone out of state.

My best find was any time I found a gueuze on the shelf in CO in the last two years.

33. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I found this awesome and still working 1950's Jefferson gold-plated desk clock at a local thrift shop that was selling for only $5.... oh shit wrong forum.

34. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Two 4-packs of BCBS this week at JB Russo and sons in Grand Rapids, $5.49 a bottle too. Really thought I would see an inflated price tag like $10 much like when people slow roll their KBS around here.

35. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Coming back from Acadia National Park in ME last year, my wife and I were driving through Ellsworth ME, and she spots the words "Global Beverage Warehouse". We pull in and find lots of great beer, and then all of a sudden we spot them....4x Cantillon Classic Gueuze 375ml. With no limit.

Went to Brighton MA for a nice Irish lunch in the Green Briar pub, then went across to the liquor store on the street and found lots of Imperial Stout Trooper.

Visited my uncle in Fort Collins CO and found Supplication in the liquor store near his house. Almost fainted when I tasted it (it was my first RR).

Rutager likes this.
  36. Batch one Lebleu a good two or three months after release sitting on the shelf for $12.95. Snagged both bottles.

37. LSUPT

LSUPT Initiate (0) California Feb 3, 2011

Found a Stone 12th Anniversary a couple weeks ago. Also, used to see Cantillion LP's on the shelf, before I knew what they were, a few years ago.

38. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

You wouldnt by chance want to mention where this hole in the wall was?
    In return, Ill let you know of another hole in the wall that has cases of zombie dust!

39. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (475) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Was on my way home from picking up my marriage license last week and made a call to a (sort of) on the way hot spot to try and score BA Bigfoot. After I was told it was in stock, I made my detour to stock up. On the shelf next to the BA bigfoot was a slew of Eclipse's, including Elijah Craig 12 year. Left with 4 BA Bigfoot and their last 2 Elijah Craig's.

Never thought I'd be stoked after driving an hour to get my marriage license. Broke and stoked.

brikelly likes this.
  40. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Found a Bruery Fruet just yesterday at a store in Mass. Considering this store got a single case about 8 months ago, this was a huge find. After talking with the beer guy, he said the lone bottle just somehow got buried in back. Likely a held bottle that was never picked up, and just forgotten about.