1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lucky Shelf Pulls

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pecan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

A store that had 6 fou foune on the shelf. Easy and done. Next question?

MightySteede and ADTaber like this.
  2. case of brooklyn black chocolate stout - $30.99 :cool:

djsmith1174 and abkayak like this.
  3. 2 bottles of 2010 Bam Noir, 5 bucks each.

2 bottles of 2006 Calabaza Blanca, 10 bucks.

2 bottle of 2009 Maracaibo Especial, 10 bucks.

I love me some Jolly Pumpkin.

MightySteede, jbaker67 and nanobrew like this.
  4. Walked into a bar/restaurant today that had several BA Bigfoots for sale at $8.95 a bottle. Bought a few and left several more on the shelf for others.

5. This probably doesn't sound like much to many of the people on here, but I recently found a lone six pack of this year's Samuel Adam's Longshot winners in a random Kroger in rural West Virginia that I've never seen in the town that I live in, the biggest drinking town of West Virginia. It was sitting between a six pack of Budweiser and a six pack of Bud Light Platinum to boot.

6. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I pulled 2 2012 Sucabas at separate places. The first Sucaba was in a store I now frequent and this was in September of last year, about 6 months after it came out. And the next was at a store that I rarely go to and I found it sitting on the shelf in early November. Needless to say I immediately grabbed it. There were 2 more on the shelf at the same time in November but I decided to leave it for the next guy.

7. Got the last 4 pack of Great Lakes Alchemy Hour yesterday. Thought it was long gone off the shelves in Dayton, OH.

8. Went into a random beer store today. They had 2 cases of Doom. Asked what limit was, the guy didn't know, so he asked his manager. One case. Bingo.

dianimal and SadMachine like this.
  9. JReites

JReites Savant (405) Florida Dec 29, 2010

3 Marshal Zhukov's from 2011 hiding behind some CCB regulars about 2 months ago

ediaz and Powderhornphil like this.
  10. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Beer store in my town changed owners and the new guy is not educated on beer. 2 lou pepes just sitting on the shelf with no price tag. He said just give me $20! Lol

11. jessup

jessup Disciple (70) New Jersey Feb 16, 2009

scored a 23 pack of DFH immortale for $10!! distributor hooked up broken goods for cheap & guy didn't even know what he had :)

12. Just saw this post. Do you mind if I ask what store this was at?

13. I'm curious as well, any chance of revealing where in SoCal this was?

14. Found 2 bottles of pure hoppiness a week out side San Diego county

15. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (590) Washington Apr 30, 2008

local spot underwent a change of ownership recently, and the new owners started selling off the previous owner's supply of vintage barleywines. The new people have started asking my for recommendations because I come in so frequently to pick them up (I figure get a couple at a time, leaving enough for others who may be interested, then come back the next week and if they're still there, pick up some more).

Only takes them back a couple years, but I was stocking up on 2010 bigfoots (bigfeet?) before they sold out, and am currently packing away the 2011s (among other more local barleywine faire)

16. Were they still good?

17. Just found some 2010 Stone IRS and Batch 10 Supplication

18. Definitely.

19. Picked up a six pack of Founders Curmudgeon for 10 bucks at the mixed six section at the House of 1,000 beers. Was exactly all they had left and usually 12 dollar a four pack.

I sometimes luck out there since they had Bells expedition stout in the same mix and match for days. I only grabbed a few of those since I don't love it as much.

20. Where in NC?

21. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

Those need some age on them...

22. Charlotte

23. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (340) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Hoppin Frog Hop Heathens and Frosted Frogs being cleared out at a Woodmans near me for $1.49 each.

24. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I found three bottles of LP Frambroise dated 2006 about six months ago in NEPA. I've never seen Cantillon in that shop prior to that (or since). Had it for my 800th.

SadMachine likes this.
  25. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Found King Henry on the shelf about 6 months ago

26. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (585) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I dont know how I forgot about this, but I was at a spot in the Midwest over Thanksgiving last year and they happen to have 4 bottles of Abyss sitting on the shelves. They didnt even have a limit so I proceeded to ensure there were 0 bottles on the shelves

dianimal and ygolordned like this.
  27. God you're such a greedy bastard. Why not save some for a BMC to experience???
    (BTW I would have done the same thing :))

28. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

My first time getting BCBS. I was walking down to the pony bar in hells kitchen, NYC, on my way down I noticed a deli had a sign outside it saying they had BCBS for a limited time. I stoped in and they had 6 left, so I grabed them all, then went to the pony bar as planned, and while I was there, BCBS came on tap! It was an exciting day.

Cee-Poe likes this.
  29. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (585) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I really did feel somewhat guilty. Hate that all the type 3's get most of these beers, but a spade is a spade

30. Last weekend I asked if my local store had any KBS left and the manager walked to the back and handed me a bottle from 2011!

Cee-Poe likes this.
  31. Bottled 4/19/12 so pre-aged too! Don't worry about "aged" beers in PA most of the stuff sits around forever if it doesn't sell. Good for some beers though!

32. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

i can walk into my bottle shop right now and get cold double crooked tree, gumballhead, stone IRS and Espresso IRS, PF, Toxic Revolution, and ITNOS

33. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (705) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

$1 bottles of Stone Ruination and Sublimely Self-Righteous...can't say I left any behind for anyone else

dianimal and mtmonroe9 like this.
  34. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Advocate (625) Illinois Jul 17, 2012

Sculpin $1.99 a bottle

Cboat and LuisQ like this.
  35. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Savant (335) Washington Dec 24, 2012

The first time I stopped in my local bottle shop I saw PtE on the shelf and decided to get one. A year and a half and nearly 300 bottles purchased from them later, I haven't seen a bottle of PtE in person. (Yes I know RR stopped distributing here months ago)

36. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (460) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

Walked into a random store yesterday and saw 3 bottles of Enjoy By 5/17 on the shelf marked as Stone IPA and priced 4.99. That beer sold out everywhere here by the day after it arrived, so I was shocked to see these. Bought two and left one for some other lucky person who hopefully hasn't gotten to try it. Same store still had a bottle of 11.11.11 vertical epic randomly on the shelf.

37. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

These types of threads sadden me, because it either shows that the Grand Rapids area is too informed as to where good beer is that everything good is cleared out immediately, or I have a serious lack of knowledge as to where the hidden gems are in the area. I always try to walk into seemingly off-the-beaten-path liquor stores in the hopes that 4 packs of BCBS are waiting for me, but alas...they are not.

38. yankeepride

yankeepride Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 16, 2011

A little bit off-topic, but kind of in the same vein ... in the shop I frequent the most, and the beer manager is busy up at the front so I don't bother him. After a few minutes up and down the aisles, he flies by, sees my wife and I, hits the emergency brake, points and says, "wait right there, I have something for you." Comes back in a few with a bottle of BCBS Cherry Rye that I didn't even know had gotten to our part of the state. He had even told other people who asked about it that he didn't have it in order to save that last one for us! As if I wasn't already loyal to that place, that sure sealed the deal.

gcamparone likes this.
  39. Randomly traveled to chicago for work and found a rare at a store downtown. Didnt even know what it was and thought it was a ripoff. but, split it with a buddy because we were curious what could possibly merit a 50 dollar price tag and also bc we were pissed we didnt get any normal bourbon county.

40. LuisQ

LuisQ Aficionado (145) Florida Jan 9, 2013

just left my local hole in the wall liquor store. The owner is pretty cool. He knew I was looking for some white oak jai alai. He took me behind the counter and showed me 4 4-packs sitting in the case and asked me how many i wanted. I said 3 and left 1 for some other lucky bastard who hasn't tried. But in all honesty, NOBODY knows about this place, so I may just end up with that 4th 4-pack if it's not gone by the time I'm done with the 3 I have.