1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lucky Shelf Pulls

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pecan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2013

I live in Madison and have the same sentiments. Rare releases fly off the shelves in hours. I'm think I'm going to start hitting up the weird little BMC shops in odd locations to see if I happen upon something great. So far that technique has not panned out.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  2. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

I feel the same way living in San Francisco! That said, I'm living vicariously and enjoying the deals and steals everyone else posts. Happy hunting!

Cboat and mjshearer1 like this.
  3. Store had around 6 bottles of dogfish world wide stout for 4.99 each.

mtalley999 likes this.
  4. Rochefort 10 for $2.99

5. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

A little hole-in-the-wall I now visit regularly had 3-4 Bolt Cutters sitting around a couple of months ago. 3 are now in my cellar, and they still have at least 1 more on the shelf.

Not that spectacular a find since Bolt Cutter didn't exactly fly off the shelves here, but that's fine with me. It's really coming into its own now that the hops have calmed down.

6. sammy806

sammy806 Savant (325) Maryland Feb 29, 2008

Was at the local Total Wine a couple of months ago for one of their "Beer Classes" and walked through the store browsing after it was over. Came across some bottles (maybe 4?) of the Sam Adams Utopias 2012 Edition at "only" $199. Couldn't resist; had to have one. It's now sitting in my basement waiting to be opened.

7. I'm in bumfuck Maryland for my sister-in-law's graduation from the naval Academy. I hit up the first package store that I find on a rural highway outside Annapolis. I see several bottle of Bourbon Co. Bramble Rye. Several more in the cooler. I casually ask the clerk if I can buy a full case. He checks the inventory and says that they only have seven and that, "he's heard they're the only store in the state that still has some". Uh, no shit. I nod pleasantly. He offers a 20% discount on the bottles. I take it. I swear that I smoked my tires getting out of there. Bottle to my brother-in-law at cost. Two for gifts. Traded one to a guy in my tasting group for fresh Heady. Drank the rest with friends. Gotta love a good score.

8. Stopped at a store in Long Island last year:

-Rare x4
    -CBS x4
    -Better Half x4
    -Big John x4