1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lunch vs Hoponius Union

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by ceolach, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ceolach

ceolach Zealot (80) Massachusetts Nov 20, 2010

I, being Scottish, am always looking for great beer for a decent price. I've been complaining about Maine Beer Co. prices since they hit the market. Good/Great beer but overpriced. I've always bought MBC stuff when it comes out but generally don't buy it again because there are better/just as good options out there for less $. I liked King Titus but will move on. Hadn't had a Lunch from MBC since a couple years ago and put it in a head to head last night with fresh Hoponius Union and I'll drop the $ on Hoponius any day of the week before I'll buy Lunch again. Is it just me?
    AndyAvalanche likes this.
  2. Hoponius is super delicious and way more regularly available and cheaper so yeah, it's not gonna be just you
    Psychmusic likes this.
  3. Have to agree, hoponious is a better value and has better availability plus its flavor profile doesn't completely fall apart within 2 weeks of bottling. Wouldn't say they are comparable beers but after a decent sample size of both beers, I'll be sticking with hoponious in the future.
    Longstaff likes this.
  4. Hoponius is the winner.
  5. I love Lunch, but Hoponius is a better and much cheaper beer.
  6. Its only fair to say that these are two completely different beers. For price, of course Hoponius Union is the better purchase. That being said, Lunch is basically a perfect American IPA. If i had my druthers, I would be drinking Lunch all day...the only problem being that its impossible to find on the South Shore. Debucas in Raynham, Ma had about 8 bottles on the shelf and I bought 5 of them. Selfish? Perhaps. ITS SO GODDAMN HARD TO FIND!!!

If i cant find Lunch, i'll go Hoponius. Also, I think Baxter's Stowaway is an apt "replacement-level" IPA.

[​IMG]

THERE ARE NO LOSERS IN THIS DISCUSSION!!!
    IcemanCometh likes this.
  7. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (160) Maine May 22, 2012

Ive brought up this same discussion here in Maine where Jack's Abby is not available... Not sure I would buy Lunch very often if Hoponius 4pks were on the shelves around here !

That being said... A Lunch x 2 brewed with citra and simco is being poured tomorrow at Novare Res and Im hoping this beer is a game changer... just hope its not double the price if it ever makes it into a bottle !
  8. jaasen64

jaasen64 Savant (450) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2012

Kiwi Rising is where it's at. Had it on draft yesterday and it was absolutely amazing! It's one of the best hoppy beers I've had, I'd take it over Lunch or Hoponius any day. Bottles should be hitting shelfs next week. Should be around 500 cases at ~$5/bottle.
    standardcherry, Rekrule and Auror like this.
  9. ceolach

ceolach Zealot (80) Massachusetts Nov 20, 2010

Can't Wait. Every friend I give a bottle of Ginger and juice to is like WTF. It shouldn't work but its amazing. These guys are hitting it out of the park. Helps me deal with no Bruins.
    Dools9 likes this.
  10. badbeer

badbeer Savant (460) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

Hoponious wins for me. Wonderful stuff.
  11. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Huh, the bottle of Hoponius I grabbed from Julio's must have been old. Wasn't bad just wasn't anything special. So I guess I'd give Lunch the edge based on easy to find born on dates. Oh ya, Mo is better than Lunch anyways. Let that hype train keep rolling for Lunch though so I can keep drinking Mo.
    MarkF150 likes this.
  12. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aficionado (245) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

Hoponious Union has brewed dates on every 4 pack.

I claim as much Hop U as I can whenever I am up to the Cape (where it is hit or miss).
  13. Not wanting to hijack this thread but I agree that Kiwi Rising is the best local hoppy beer I have had in some time. Bought a growler and 4 bottles at Jack's Abby on thurs. Both were head and shoulders better than any NE hoppy beer I have had with the exception of Heady and HF
    Rekrule likes this.
  14. I just don't get the Lunch love. It's an excellent IPA, but we live in a world with a billion excellent IPA's, most of which are about 25% of the cost of Lunch. There's nothing unique or exciting about Lunch.

Hoponius Union, on the other hand, is something really unique, delicious, and extremely reasonably priced.
    Rekrule, franklinn and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. I think Lunch generally is very good. It's one of the best smelling IPA's ever IMO. But I do generally think part of it is a psychological "have to buy it when it's here because I won't know when it will be back" thing. That being said, I also buy a lot of Hoponius Union (and often extra it in trades), and it does have a higher rAvg on the site..
    Stormfield likes this.
  16. Yep. I tried Lunch twice, it's a solid IPA. But there's a handful of IPAs available, at least here in MA, that are just as good if not better to my palate. Therefore, if I'm craving an IPA, it's simply a matter of which is freshest. This list includes Union Jack, Flower Power, Sculpin, Racer 5, Green Flash West Coast, Stone IPA, Smuttynose Finest Kind, Red Betty.........get my point? I can usually find one of these within one or two months of bottling and buy a six pack of them (except Sculpin). Lunch at $7 per 16.9 oz........I can't justify it.
    paddyfitz and FrankLloydMike like this.
  17. I concur. Picked up a couple 4 packs at the Brewery yesterday. Just an outstanding hoppy beer although the price is straying a bit towards that of Lunch. Well worth it though imo.
  18. Kiwi Rising and Hoponius Union beat Lunch 7 ways from Sunday. It's not even close. Couple that with the price and availability and the winner is as clear as day. With as many great IPAs as there are out there I'm surprised at how much mouth service Lunch still gets.....but I guess scarcity adds to perceived value.
    Jnorton00 and SunDevilBeer like this.
  19. Jesse14

Jesse14 Savant (255) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2011

At the risk of sounding redundant, I bought some bottles at the brewery on Thursday and it blew me away. Just a notch below HT. Really impressed with how many quality beers these guys put out. So glad to have them local, fresh, and reasonably priced. I'll pay $5/bottle all day long for that beer.
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  20. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Pretty Things Meadowlark IPA schools Lunch all day and is a better value. I love a nice fresh Lunch, but its been inconsistent in flavors.
  21. dciBA

The hype train is about to leave Lunch behind anyways. Had a glass of a pilot batch double IPA that Maine beer did. Really, really good stuff. A classic west coast style IPA being made on the east coast. Light colored, no crystal malt sweetness and huge hop flavor and aroma.

Oh, thanks for the tip on the 4 pack dating.
  22. Hoponius Union 10000%. I picked it up for
    2.50 a bottle vs 7.50 for lunch. 3 times the beer that is just as good if
    Not better. I will not buy mbc unless
    It is for a trade
  23. levon15

levon15 Aficionado (190) Illinois Jan 19, 2012

Are these only available in Massachusetts? How far south can they be had?
  24. Hoponius > Lunch every time I see them. Availability, price and better tasting IMO.
  25. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Early batches of Lunch vs. Hoponius would be a tough call for me, but recent batches of Lunch have been really sub-par. Even if they were priced the same I'd still reach for HU until MBC can get Lunch back in order and back in line with that "tastes eerily similar to Pliny" deliciousness.
  26. Without any factors other than the beer itself, I'd take Lunch by a tiny margin. If it's fresh. And again, that margin would be a tiny one, just based on slightly more aggressive hop profile.

But, that said- when you consider all the other factors (which really have to be considered)... Hoponius by a mile. Easier to find, by FAR more reasonably priced. Hoponius at less than half the price of Lunch?

Easy call.

When I heard a new brewery call Jacks Abbey was opening right down the street from me, I didn't really expect much.
    One of the few times I've been wrong. Good on JA.
  27. OFF TOPIC: Can someone add the coffee S&D so I can tick it? Also I was at the brewery and they listed a SOUR coming up at some point. Excited.
    standardcherry and Jnorton00 like this.
  28. Jack's Abby is MA only. I have no idea what their expansion plans are, but they seem to be only just starting to be able to meet the Boston area demand.

Maine Beer Co is in a bunch of states now, but Maine is the only one where you can reliably count on finding everything available and fresh.
  29. MBC is great but their prices are out of control. I remember seeing someone say they picked up 12 for $72. That's a crime seeing you can get a case of HT for the same price.
  30. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

That DIPA tasted like hop pellets, i.e. gritty on the tongue. Really homebrewish, IMO. Great aroma, but too vegetal and harsh on the flavor. Didn't seem like a pro beer to me. Maybe they rushed it, but seeing as it was just one log of beer, it was probably made on a homebrew set-up and not their commercial system.
    jamvt likes this.
  31. dciBA

Your opinion on the beer is fine, but there is no difference between properly made beer on a commercial system vs. homebrew. You can't taste the difference in beer just because it was made on a small system. Budweiser would argue that MBC's full system is nothing more than a homebrew setup.
    LostTraveler and JCTetreault like this.
  32. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (455) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Is Kiwi Rising available at retail stores or only at the brewery? Would love to try it.
  33. Good question. Hopefully in stores too. It's top notch.
  34. It'll be in stores sometime this week in 500ml bottles according to the brewery, but it's already available there. I heard 2 batches totaling 500 cases.
  35. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Phew. What would have happened if thou with the Hill Farmstead avatar disapproved of my opinion? ;)

You're right, there shouldn't be a difference if the brewer knows what he/she is doing. You can screw up a beer on a 500bbl system as easily as you can on a 5gal system. I guess by "homebrewish" I meant that the beer was not very well-executed. And craft breweries often have pilot systems that do not offer all of the amenities or efficiencies of their full-scale brewhouses, so discrepancies in quality are common. Cheers
  36. dciBA

It's homebrew in that glass, but it tastes like commercial beer. :)
    dasenebler likes this.
  37. blt2646

blt2646 Savant (265) New Hampshire Mar 20, 2006

FWIW I thought that the most recent batch of Lunch I had last weekend, bottled in October was pretty darn awesome, better than any previous batch I have had and for the first time really felt it was worth the price. My brother in law, trying it for the first time, who literally lives within walking distance of Jack's Abby was blown away by it. Not to say Hoponius is not awesome as well and something that when I am down in Mass I almost always buy. I'm really excited to try Kiwi Rising this Thanksgiving....
    patrickcmcd and Massbmx like this.