1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Luxembourg on Monday 17-9-12

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by adkieffer, Sep 13, 2012.

1. adkieffer

adkieffer Member

I am flying to Luxembourg for business and have 3 full days. What bars are a must hit? Mainly looking for Belgian beers as I will be making a short jaunt through Germany and getting my fill there. Also I will be checking a bag back to the States and need to know what bottle shops to look through. Hoping for the regulars as well as a couple hopeful gems.

Didn't have much luck with my searches, just need direction. Cheers
  2. ggaughan

ggaughan Member

Nice to see someone visiting Luxembourg. My wife and I lived there for 3 years although I haven't been there since June 2010 so new bars may have opened since I was last there.

In Luxembourg City there are bunch of bars but none that have a crazy selection of Belgian beers but several that have a decent selection like Orval, Chimay, Westmalle, Duvel and other commercially available beers. The Cactus and Auchan supermarkets have decent beer selections (Belgian and Luxembourgish mainly) and the Delhaize supermarkets have a better Belgian selection.

Mousel's Cantine in the Grund area of Lux City has traditional Luxembourgish food and a few of their own beers including a zwickle which I really enjoyed. Try to get there for a great meal.

If you have time to get over the border to Belgium, I would highly suggest shopping at the Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon beer store in Arlon Belgium. Easy to reach by car if you have a rental or you can take a train from Lux City to Arlon and then it is maybe a 1/2 mile or less walk to the store. Mi-Orge has one of the best selections of Belgian beers in the country in my opinion including a great selection of lambics. He also has a few beers made for him by La Rulles and one by ST. Helene. Chris the owner is a really great guy, speaks English well and is a fan of craft beer. I would check his website www.miorgemihoublon.be for opening times as he is not open every day.

There are also a few pubs in Arlon that may have nice selection of Belgians to try.

Enjoy Luxembourg!
  3. adkieffer

adkieffer Member

Thanks for the info! I found a Delhaize store today on accident and bought a case of beers. Drinking a Cuvée Rene right now. The prices and beer are soo great. I may just have to try and get to Arlon. I don't have a car but could train or may try to rent for the day. Especially if I can get there and to Orval in the same day. Thanks again for the advice, my 1 day so far has been great.