1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mackeson

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BruChef, May 18, 2012.

1. BruChef

BruChef Savant (295) New York Nov 8, 2009

So my local beer store just put out a post saying they received a shipment of Mackeson "Tree man" stout. Anyone know what this is? Love the xxx stout and know it's not available here anymore. Hoping this is just a new name for it.

2. Carib USA out of Miami (aka as DCI-Miami) got a TTB label approval in April of last year for the Mackson XXX Milk Stout that Carib brews in Trinidad. "Tree Man" probably refers to the logo of 3 figures in a reverse pyramid on the label (?)
    [​IMG]

Chaz likes this.
  3. "The Original and Genuine" brewed in Trinidad? Which part of original or genuine don't I get?

4. Ha, yeah, well... beer marketers.

But, I did not mean to imply that that crown was from the current version - I only added it for the "3 men" logo example.

OTOH, below IS the US label from the Carib Brewery Trinidad - and "Original and Genuine" remains...

[​IMG]

5. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

I had a bottle last week, I thought it was good. But it's been years since I've had the "other" Mackeson so I have no idea how the 2 versions would compare with each other.

Chaz likes this.
  6. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

It was a great milk stout. Hope it remains one...

7. Was it the above discussed version from Carib in Trinidad?

Which "other" version are you comparing it to? The UK export, or the brewed-under-license versions from the beginning of the 2000's from BBC in Cincinnati or The Lion in Wilkes-Barre, PA done for "Royal Imports"? I was pretty disappointed in the Cincinnati brewed version (never tried the bombers out of The Lion).

8. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

In addition to the two brewed-on-contract (BBC/Lion) versions and the British import, I recall there as having been another packaged version of Mackeson XXX available in the U.S. over the years -- one with a different % alcohol listed. This one seems close to the original British import, but I believe there is (or was) a also one at 3.5%?

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how this develops, as there were plenty of disappointed people when it left the market (2004?)

9. The labels in the US when the beer was still brewed and exported by Whitbread in the UK didn't list ABV (at least, the example I have doesn't. The label design probably might pre-date the change in the labeling law?). The two US brewed-under-license versions were both said to be 4.9% (nothing on the TTB labels or application that I see, however). In the UK their current version is still in the 3% range- I always thought that's why the "export" version we got in the US was labeled "Triple stout - XXX" to distinguish it from the domestic version.

I'm guessing that at one time, based on old sales sheets and ads, the US once got the lower alcohol version? I've got a US ad, circa 1958, in which the label looks like the current UK can with the "churn", and no mention of "Triple" or "XXX" or the "3 figures" logo. Interesting trivia- "Imported by Van Munching & Co.".

I always remember it disappearing, along with the Cincinnati "importer" Royal Importers LLC (which somehow grew out of the dissolution of Hudepohl-Scheonling), around the time of the A-B - InBev merger. (So, when was that- 2008?) Since InBev owned the brand there was some speculation (never confirmed that I found) that that wasn't just coincidental.

10. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

These dam mergers, dissolutions and consolidation buy-outs. Anybody know where I can find me some Augsburger?

Chaz likes this.
  11. Chaz

The last batch (under contract at Stevens Point...) was brewed in 2002 :(

kingofhop likes this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Who brewed it from 2002 til 2006?

13. Last I heard, Pabst still owns the Augsburger label (via their purchase of the Stroh brands, the ex-Pabst execs that were running Huber in the mid-80's sold it to them. How's that for "dam mergers, dissolutions and consolidation buy-outs"?)

And the SP Augsburger was just a lease/license deal then, I guess?

So, I suppose one could write the Metropoulus boys and request that Augisburger be pushed up their "retro revival" list. Maybe they can make an Augie Blast -flavored line.

kingofhop and Chaz like this.
  14. Chaz

Yeah, this U.K. version (in a can, no less!) was imported at one point; I have an old can in my collection with the importer's info stickered-over the domestic info on the can -- must be late 1970s (steel can ;).)

For what it's worth, I recall the bottle size as being different in the older, imported version. It was smaller than the familiar 11.2 oz longneck we most frequently see.

I didn't see it locally after 2005 at the latest -- not fresh stuff, anyway! I did see a lot of 12-packs wherever I went in the midwest for a few years afterward (and yes, I checked the dates :cool:.)

15. kingofhop

Thanx, Chaz. Honestly, when sumpin is brewed "under contract" it seems like a brewery just sticks a name on it. Never is quite the same.

16. Well, I'm sure the ex-Huber née "Minhas Craft" brewery would gladly take on yet another contract and return the brand to it's home during it's glory "almost national" days of the early '80's. Unfortunately, "Monroe, WI" on a label doesn't mean what it did back then...

17. Chaz

Wikipedia lists Augsburger* as one of Stevens Point's "Active" brands (in the column off to the right), having been purchased in 2003. Strangely, we're in Point's active distribution range, and the labels seemed to dry up around that time; fall of 2002 was the last fresh batch we stocked of the "Regular" and dark at Surdyk's. I even asked about it on the tour I took of Point in 2009, and was told that the brands were "defunct."

Now, to extend the OP's query, can anyone tell me if we're gonna see Mackeson's Triple up in the midwest?

(*There used to be a lot of labels coming out of "Stroh's".)

18. kingofhop

Did not know Huber wuz nee Minhas. Thanks for the info. Man, Monroe Wi used to put out some good beer. I remember Jos Huber, fondly.

Chaz likes this.
  19. Chaz

Please, no! Let Augsburger rest in peace, and let not The Cybermen sully it!

20. The Berghoff* brands (which they no longer own, but [still?] brew under contract) were reputedly based on the Huber's Augsburger recipes- is that right, Chaz? They certainly sound better than Minhas' goofy "faux" craft brands, high gravity malt beverages or their Canadian cheap-o labels.

* (Never saw Berghoff on the East Coast that I recall, but we got Augsburger back in the late 70's-early '80's).

21. Ah, so as Thomas Wolfe (not to be confused with his brother [?] Joseph) wrote, even a once classic beer brand "can't go home again"...

22. kingofhop

Jess, they claim to base the beer on original recipes, but I find this slightly bogus. For example, the Schlitz 60's Gusto is not nearly as nasty as I remember it to be.

23. Yeah, well, when I read "(based on) the original recipe" I assume they mean they still brew it with water, barley malt, [sometimes an adjunct], hops and yeast. So, basically the same as it was 20-30 years/a century ago.

Yeah, Pabst pick to revive Schlitz was perplexing to me (I supposed the huge amount of ready-made promotional material helped- Schlitz was a heavy advertiser). I thought they should advertise it as:

Schlitz Gusto
    based on the classic 1960's recipe
    (notable because it wasn't nearly as bad as it would become in the 1970's!)

kingofhop and Chaz like this.
  24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

When I moved to Casper in '80, Augsburger and Berghoff were on the shelves.

25. Chaz

Interesting (I forget where you moved from ;).) Those Huber labels had a lot of range back then!

26. That would have been Huber's Augusbuger but who owned Berghoff at the time? IIRC, that brand bounced around (Falstaff bought the brewery in Ft. Wayne- but not sure if they ever used the brand name) but it was brewed in CO by Walter and even Pearl in TX at some time.

27. Chaz

Minhas still brews the Berghoff labels, but finding them at retail can be a little tricky... Not sure that they were based on Augsburger (maybe the Original and the Dark were), but Berghoff Bock was very much akin to Huber Bock as I recall, and Berghoff Red seemed close enough to Augsburger's red lager ("Rot") frm Stroh's! I'd have to dig out my tasting notes from 1993 to know for sure, heh!

They did come out with a number of new brands before the Minhas purchase and before the Berghoff name and brands were sold, including a Belgian-style Wit.
    Augsburger in New Jersey, but no Piels in Minnesota? I call shenanigans!

28. kingofhop

and, naturally, the Pearl stuff was, shall we say, god-awful.

29. I can still buy this (the 3% ABV version) in cans at my local supermarket. Good beer and certainly quite different from usual heart attack inducing super imperial Russian quadrupel stouts out there. Certainly worth a go.

Chaz likes this.
  30. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

Yes, the bottle I had recently was from the above discussed version from Carib.

To your other question, I really can't answer for sure. I've enjoyed Mackeson over the years (well, since the mid 90's anyway), so I'm sure I've probably had both the BBC and Lion versions at some point. I'm just not sure if I've ever actually had the UK export one or not.

Chaz likes this.
  31. Rumour has it that it's now 2.8% to take advantage of the lower duty rate.