1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Macro cravings...?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Dec 1, 2012.

1. I never said it was a crap beer, just that I have better beer to drink than that. Living in the Allentown/Philly area my whole life, I have had my fill of Yuengling Lager. Always a go to if it's on tap a restaurant that has nothing better to drink on tap. I prefer the Lord Chesterfield anyway.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  2. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I used to drink bmc when I was poor and couldn't buy my own beer. Since then I haven't had the itch to go back. Luckily there aren't many situations where BMC is the only option these days. I keep a six pack of DC brau pale around for when I want a refreshing beer.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

There was a time when beers beyond 50 IBUs were too much so I would have a "warmup" beer. Now a warmup would be a nice brown ale or a wit but never a macro.
  4. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I have never ever craved a macro lager. I drink them occasionally, but never because that's what I felt like drinking.
  5. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

6. This is like saying, "this steak I am eating is great, but I'd really love that dog turd on the ground over there!"
    Bitter_Echo, robinsmv and 2beerdogs like this.
  7. Yuengling Bottles help keep my fridge cold.
  8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

No way, I find it so hard to drink these beers as it is, let alone crave them!!!!
    Unless I'm hanging out with a bunch of young college girls at a sleepover, or each weekend I spend with NFL cheerleaders. Oh, and there ws as that time when a frosty Silver Bullet train passed down the middle of my street and a party miraculously appeared, hot chicks and all...
  9. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

When I feel like an AAL, only a Narragansett Tall Boy will do.
    Rekrule likes this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Since macros got me on my beer journey back in the 60s, yes. I do crave a macro every now and then. I was impressed with Schlitz 60s formula but..they are now all well past their best by dates so that's a no go until fresher stock shows up. Olympia 95% Malt was darn good but it's no longer in town. I'd drink Narragansett but, obviously, it doesn't get distributed to me. The best I can get for an AAL is Coors' Batch 19 and it was so good to MY palate, that I bought a Growler of it. I "may" buy another..
  11. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Batch 19 never made it here to OK, as far as I know Bill. Pretty good?
    Bitterbill likes this.
  12. An ice cold High Life flat out hits the spot sometime. It has to be in a bottle though. I think it tastes much worse in the can.

By last New Year'e Eve, after drinking barleywines, imperial stouts, old ales, and winter warmers exclusively for about a month leading up to that point, I needed a crisp, easy drinking simple lager to throw back and cleanse my palate.

It is my belief that a true beer fan can find the refreshing simplicity in a beer like Miller High Life or PBR on occasion.
  13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

14. When you get that craving have a Noble Pils. It'll do the trick.
  15. Yuengling is nice at a picnic, but I wouldn't call it a "craving."
    I never really drank BMC to begin with; Old Crow is my college-nostalgia drink of choice.
  16. i like a corona with chips and salsa always have
  17. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I don't mind PBR at all, especially when I'm trying to not break the bank.
    callmeishmALE likes this.
  18. I could go for a Grain Belt Premium or Nordeast at any given time. It's in my lifeblood as a Minnesotan.
    rfbenavi80 likes this.
  19. Nope, never get a craving for BMC. Even Yuengling, which is far and away better IMO, I never get a craving for. Other than at a bar to save a fortune, or if it's offered to me will I drink an AAL. I'd honestly rather just drink water instead (I drink a lot of water though, not comparing AALs to water). If I'm in the mood to drink a lot (which after last weekend will be doubtful...), I'll usually just go to whiskey and coke.
  20. The only instance where it ends up happening with any frequency in my life is when I'm out at Japanese or Chinese restaurants that are not BYOB. I've had more than my share of Kirin at places where it was the best thing available. With delicate stuff like sushi, it's actually quite fine.
  21. tourdot

tourdot Savant (415) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

If I'm not in craft beer mode, PBR ME ASAP!
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  22. Two things I posted recently in another thread:

“In the summer of 2011 I bought a case of Schlitz 1960’s formula beer. Even though this beer is an American Adjunct Lager I thought this beer was good for what it was. Schlitz 1960’s beer has some flavor to it since it has more hops and less adjunct.”

“I used to work with a guy who liked craft beer; one of his favorite beers was Green Flash West Coast IPA. He told me that sometimes when he out at bars with his buddies they would order Miller High Life and put limes in them. They would call these beers: poor man’s Corona. I have never tried this since I tend to avoid BMC beers but he claimed that it is tasty!?!”

Cheers!
  23. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

If I'm eating Mexican food and I'm not drinking a Tecate, then something just isn't right.

24. Batch 19 is listed as an AAL on BA but it really shouldn’t be since it is an all malt beer.

I had it on tap 1-2 months ago. It is a good beer when compared to BMC type beers. It is just an OK beer by Pre-Prohibition Pilsner standards; too light in the hopping from my perspective and it really should have a small amount of adjunct (e.g., 20% flaked maize) to be authentic.

I recently visited family in Austin, Texas and a local liquor store had six-packs of bottled Batch 19. I asked the beer guy when they started getting this beer in bottles and he replied about 2-3 week ago. So, there appears to be bottled Batch 19 coming out.

Cheers!
  25. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i go to a lot of diy space type gigs - think some punk bands playing in a dude's basement. at those kinda places for those kinda shows it almost feels wrong to drink anything but rotgut lagers

edit: i do genuinely like some rotgut lagers. will happily have pbr or yeungling any day, and i can tolerate most others.
  26. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

The last time I craved a macro lager was when I was 16. The imports were too expensive and craft beer did not exist (except Anchor and SN).
  27. On my way into a game after a tailgate, I'll usually drink a Bud Light or similar to "hydrate" after drinking a few good beers. Yuengling is also my go to beer when in NY/NJ bars with limited options.
  28. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

It's damn good and rated pretty high on this site
    kingofhop likes this.
  29. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Like any style, I sometimes have a craving for adjunct lagers. I personally prefer Miller High Life, Old Milwaukee, Schlitz, and PBR when it comes to the adjuncts. Coors and Dixie can hit the spot too.
  30. BillieWest

BillieWest Aficionado (165) Oct 13, 2012

There's always a nostalgic place in my heart for Miller High Life and a game of spin the bottle.
  31. RichD

RichD Advocate (615) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I generally don't but if I happen to crave macro it'll usually be Yuengling ( My girlfriend's dad buys it by the case when he goes to PA) or I'll drink a Blue Moon if there is absolutely NOTHING available. I still don't really count SA's Boston Lager as macro but if it does count then it is usually my go to beer at restaurants that don't have much of a craft selection. I'll also occasionally drink a Narragansett, but usually only in the summer. No BMC for me though.
  32. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Family in Austin, huh? Damn Longhorns. :)
  33. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Big Flats:

[​IMG]
  34. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

Never. They make me sick. Literally.
  35. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

In a word.....nope.

Why settle for crap when you can have quality. I once heard someone say that life is too short to drink anything but good beer. If I ever do get the craving for some corn in my beer, I will grab the ceremonial beer of WI....a New Glarus Spotted Cow, and know I am drinking something worth drinking.
  36. CADMixes

CADMixes Savant (250) Massachusetts Feb 29, 2012

About once a year I get a craving for Bud heavy and buy a six-pack of bottles. And if I'm eating Mexican food and am done with Margaritas I'll definitely want a Mexican beer, preferably Modelo Especial or maybe Pacifico.
  37. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Yeah, I really like BCBS...;)
  38. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Yep. Last time I wanted a cheap hooker, was broke, had to get her & me drunk & life no longer mattered. Wait a minute.. Er. Nope.
  39. Theres no beer I'd rather drink in the shower than an ice cold high life.

I never drink more than 3 or 4 craft beers in one session. If I'm going to continue drinking I'll usually switch to liquor or adjuncts. After 3/4 craft beers between palate fatigue and buzz, it makes a lot more sense to drink a flavorless, refreshing, cheaper brew.

I understand and respect that many refuse to subject themselves to drinking or purchasing BMC. To each their own.
    Dools9 and kingofhop like this.
  40. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

I often crave intoxication. These are the beers that do the job. So, in a way, the answer is yes.
    Dools9 likes this.