1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Macro cravings...?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Dec 1, 2012.

1. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

You mean like all the delicous table sugar in Duvel, Saison Dupont, and countless other Belgian beers? Yes please. Or what about all the corn in Flanders Reds? I'll have two!

Seriously, do you guys know anything about beer?

KentT likes this.
  2. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Yea, I get cravings for Mexican beer every now and then!! I love them at cook-outs cause I don't need a glass and I don't need to think about what I am drinking. They are basically my water substitution!!

KentT likes this.
  3. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure those beers use invert sugar, not table sugar. I'll refer you back your last question

davey101 likes this.
  4. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I actually thought I hated beer for many many years because I thought the only beers that existed were bud, miller, coors, and 40's; all of which I thought tasted like piss water. I had a couple of boulevard wheats and thought they were really good and it just snowballed from there. So no, I never crave piss water beers, but in the summer I do occasionally get a hankering for some boulevard wheat, 312, fat tire, and a blonde from a local brewery, Mothers; all of which I consider to be camping beers.

craftabrew407 and robinsmv like this.
  5. No. I haven't had one in a long time that I can remember and now I certainly don't crave them. Back in the day my go to was MGD while my friends were all drinking Coors Light. Too much good stuff out there to drink now.

6. From time to time I'll enjoy a nice cold macro

7. If I haven't ticked it, then yes. Otherwise, no.

8. tgchief

tgchief Savant (315) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

To answer the OP, yes I agree and YES I do! I crave many adjuncts as an occasional relief from the hoppy staples I drink......ground espresso beans, maple syrup, cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, passion fruit, prickly pear, peppers, (secret ones!), vanilla beans, ...the list goes on and on but rice, not so much.

Fun thread and btw my dad loved PBR. I could never dig it because my palate desires hops the most!

Cheers

9. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (590) Washington Apr 30, 2008

I actually had a pang for Big Flats the other day. Mainly because it's a palatable 6% available for 2.99 a sixer, but I legitimately yearned for it. That counts, right?

10. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I only crave good beer.

11. I've been known to dabble in the High Life on occasion. Especially when the local bodega honors American Expresses Small Business Promotion....why yes, AMEX, I will take 36 bottles of High Life for $1.60.

12. Sometimes an ice cold dog turd hits the spot, especially on a hot day after cutting the lawn.

13. Drinking a Heineken right now with my buddy we traveled Europe a few years ago when we were 18 and went to the Heineken factory both now beer snobs for our age but enjoy a heineken on occasion when we hang out and watch sports

14. Yuengling for the win!

KentT likes this.
  15. Dcor

Dcor Aficionado (150) Florida Aug 27, 2012

Coors Light works better than bottled water here in Florida when you've been doing yard work or something else outside...and a case for 15 bucks works pretty good too! Always in the fridge for my friends who dont do craft beers.

16. kismet

kismet Aficionado (160) Illinois Sep 8, 2011

schlitz 1960's gets a nod from me fairly regularly.

KentT likes this.
  17. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Welp. Had a PBR craving. Bought a sixer for about 6 bucks. Drank three of them about, oh... 7 hours ago.
    Yeah. I'm nauseated. Surely not from the alcohol, as I've drank WAY more.
    I think I drank myself away from PBR. The first one was pretty tasty. The second one wasn't bad. Halfway through the third and I was just "Ugh..."ing until the end.

18. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

If I'm out a bar with friends, I go with whatever is cheapest. Thankfully, Yuengling is plentiful and counts as domestic. However, I have no issue slumming it up with Miller Lite.

19. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I always drink Peroni at Italian restaurants. Something with that beer + oregano really hits the spot for me.

20. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

No. No hate if you do though. I used to drink almost nothing but Bud Light from like 18-20 years old. 20-ish is when I started really liking craft and I didn't get snobbish until like 21 and totally snobbed out til 23-ish. The last time I drank a Bud Light I was like 25. It took me roughly 5 hours of playing Rock Band to get one bottle down...

21. Absolutely. Narragansett makes it into my stomach every once in a while.

Also, I don't know if Bitburger uses adjuncts, but I love that beer and try to always have some on hand.

22. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

I do not ever 'crave' macros. I went to a concert the other night and the only beer that was available was Coors, so I think I ended up having two (this was after pregaming with Founders, Great Lakes, Fat Heads, etc.). But even on the hottest freaking days in the world, I crave stuff like Summerfest, Summer Teeth, Little Sumpin Sumpin, Oberon, or Wright Pils. Too many good "lawnmower" craft beers out there to have to crave macros.

23. HANGOVER

HANGOVER Aficionado (185) Nov 23, 2012

I drink PBR and Hamm's all the time, I love all styles of beer and each has their own occasion. I drink Adjunct lagers when I am hot and thirsty, but i'm not going to sit around and enjoy one like I would an Imperial Russian Stout. I never buy Bud, Miller or Coors not because I think they are bad, they are just overpriced.

24. Something about pounding Natural Light at a college football tailgate sits right with me. I rarely wind up doing it these days, but man, on a hot summer Saturday a good ole' adjunct can be amazing.

/don't act like you guys don't know whats up

25. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Crave one? Never. Will drink one if it is my only option? Yes.

26. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Absolutely. I know in a vacuum the stuff discussed on this site is light years ahead of the macros on quality. But there are certain situations where an ice cold cheap, watery, factory made beer is the only thing that is appropriate.

27. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Please name a situation where a "cheap, watery, factory made beer" is the only thing that's appropriate.

JimmyW likes this.
  28. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I keep a dirty 30 of Stroh's in the basement for long grilling or smoking sessions in the summer, I still find them refreshing on hot summer days.

29. As a new father, my beer budget isn't nearly what it once was. In between my craft purchase, I've been supplementing with macro. I can honestly say that Yuengling and PBR are great inexpesive alternatives that do the trick and aren't as bad as my craft-only mind made them out to be.

DrunkethWizard likes this.
  30. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

I could dance around the subject, but I'm pretty much talking about when you want to get a good buzz on. This is less important as I get older, but there are still times when this is the goal. If we are all honest, I think most of us would agree. Sitting around contemplating the subtle tasting notes of an imperial stout is not what atracted most people to beer.

31. Popcorn always makes me want pbr. don't ask me why

32. Crave? Never. But a few months ago, I bought a sixpack of Genny Cream Ale so I could feel young again.

33. On the rare occasion that I drink an adjunct lager, High Life used to be my go-to option... until I discovered Schlitz. It's not great or anything, but IMO it beats the BMC standards hands-down. I've had people tell me it tastes like PBR, but I find PBR undrinkable so to each their own.

Also, if I'm at a bar and find a Lord Chesterfield in a can or on tap, I'll definitely order one.

34. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (735) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

No question about it....sure a nice hefe would work but to me that is time for beers like Blue and Molson Canadien...etc..just taste better then for some reason

35. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (280) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

Absolutely! There's nothing better on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn than an ice cold glass of water! Always available on tap and in bottles right from my kitchen and hardly costs anything.

I never got into the macro lagers. They just never tasted good to me. If I'm at a bar or restaurant with friends and/or to eat and the beer selection consists of adjunct lagers (BMC, Corona, Heineken, Amstel, Becks, Stella, etc.) then I won't be drinking any beer. If I'm low on cash and all I can afford is a BMC or a PBR...I won't be drinking any beer. Offered one for free....I'll politely decline, say thank you for the offer and maybe have a water or soda. What else can I say other than I simply drink beer for the taste and this works well for me.

I'm gonna branch out just slightly from the topic. In the bar industry I meet a lot of people who won't drink beer because it all taste the same to them. They all taste like "beer." I totally understand where they're coming from because that was my feeling on beer when all I knew of beer was the macro stuff. It's always interesting now to see those same people's reactions when they taste a Flemish Sour or a Scotch Ale or a Milk Stout for the first time. Most common initial response, "It doesn't even taste like beer!" Always with a look of surprise, often with a look of intrigue. I smile and tell them, "Oh, it is definitely beer, just not a light lager."

36. I crave a couple Yuengling Lager's after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day. Those who say no either 1) live at the north pole or 2) are full of shit.

37. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (280) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

or 3) don't live on or near the east coast where they distribute.

38. 3) Or would much more happily drink a Victory Lager or a Stoudts Gold Lager.

39. I'm totally craving a Pilsner Urquell right about now. That counts, right?

devlishdamsel and JimsArcade like this.
  40. fsimcox

fsimcox Savant (280) California Sep 1, 2006

Can't say that I have ever craved an adjunct. But I will have an occasional Miller Lite when grilling.