1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Macrobreweries new beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by camhack, Jan 17, 2013.

1. camhack

camhack Aficionado (120) Illinois Jul 9, 2011

I enjoy trying new beers from BMC and the like, hoping that'll it will be good. Wishful thinking I guess. Anyways I have tried bud light platinum, becks black sapphire, and Bud Black Crown. They all taste the same. All have a high sweetness with that touch of alcohol. I am not very good at describing tastes in any beer, but does anyone else agree that these 3 all taste the same? And will macrobreweries ever make an outstanding lager for a change?

2. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Of those three, I've only had Bud Light Platinum, which was drinkable. It tasted kind of like a Euro Strong Lager. I do plan on trying those other two.

3. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Budweiser Black Crown is the same beer as Batch No. 91406. I thought it was good. I hear Becks Black Sapphire is good and I'd be willing to give it a try. Bud Light Platinum is decent for what it is, but it sure as heckfire ain't no light beer. It's a malt liquor.

4. I didn't think the Beck's Sapphire was coming out for another two weeks.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

It's been in Casper for a week or 2. I bought a 6 pack....I should have bought 1 in a mixed 6 pack.

6. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Ill probably try one of each at some point in a mix a six. Hey, tickers gotta tick.

7. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I saw it in lower NY for the first time last week. Never even heard of it before then.

8. cid71

cid71 Aficionado (135) New Jersey Mar 2, 2009

As far as macrobreweries making great lagers I haven't had it myself but Batch 19 has received good reviews

9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

The Beck's Sapphire just tastes like a watered down blonde bock with a touch of alcohol kick in there. Nothing special.

10. When macrobreweries want to sell good beer they offer money to existing, already good breweries, When the inevitable good brewery caves at the big fat check being waved in front of their face, the macrobrewery now has a good beer to sell.

See Pilsner Urquell and Goose Island (amongst others)

11. I picked it up at bar without knowing what it was, and I was genuanly surprised to find out it was Coors. It shows that they can make pretty good beer, they just don't want to

kuhndog likes this.
  12. Batch 19 by Coors is fairly well received amongst BAs.

13. It's been available here in MN for well over a month.