1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mad Brewers Ten20 Commemorative Ale

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by eric5bellies, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Well what an amazing experience. I saved a few bottles of this beer for cellaring and cracked one tonight. It has developed into an amazing English Barley Wine with Whiskey Oak Aged qualities (don't ask me how). The aromas are so intense with Whiskey and Oak. The flavours are very pronounced Toffee and Caramel with a nice boozy finish. This IMO is one of the best beers ever brewed on these shores and I'm so glad I have another 4 bottles to savour in the future. If by chance any of you managed to save a bottle or two, please crack one now for a divine aged beer experience.

Mad Brewers and Chuck H if you are listeneing Please please please brew this beer again !!!

2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I still have one bottle left. I was thinking of throwing it out, because I thought it would be shot. I shall drink it.

3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Great stuff, far and away the best beer they've ever put out.

Every time I see anyone from James Squire (including Chuck Hahn) I ask them if they will re-brew this. Almost always they dodge the question.

Bit surprised both of you didn't take James Squire up on their "generous" offer to trade for a bottle of Ten20. They offered up a single bottle of any release of theirs since;-) ...don't you want a bottle of Ginger Chops? They were after a bottle to see how their releases had aged as part of their newsletter.

4. Well if you are gonna throw it then throw it my way will ya !

5. Lukie

I will trade my one bottle to have all of that Ginger Chops removed from my shop. Sadly, I know they won't take me up on that offer.

MrKennedy likes this.
  6. From my perspective that sounds like they forgot to save enough retention samples post-packaging.

Fools.

spicelab and MrKennedy like this.
  7. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I'm pretty sure I bought some of this when I was a beer noob and found it abusively bitter

oh how times change...

Lukie likes this.
  8. Lukie

"I like the James Squire Golden Ale, but I can't drink a lot, it's quite heavy".

9. You had me at "I like the James Squire Golden Ale".

Lukie likes this.