1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Made in Oregon Store in PDX (airport): need help which have beer?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by luwak, Mar 22, 2012.

1. luwak

luwak Member

So i know i read about this in some older posts before the forum was updated but alas i am unable to find anything recent. If anybody has a second to entertain my question I'd appreciate it.

I have a buddy who will have some time to kill in PDX this weekend (the actual airport; not just the Portland area) and I am aware there are several (three?) Made in Oregon shops which are rumored to seell beer inside the airport.

This person isn't super beer savvy but I've asked them to look around and buy whatever they can possibly grab.

Can you guys tell me which of the different stores actually carries beer and or if one has a better selection? Ideally i'd like to have him go to the stores within the secure area so he can bring them on the plane. But if only the one outside security has beer I need to know.

This page shows the locations (scroll down for on site PDX locations):

http://www.madeinoregon.com/Store_Locations.html

If anybody has the specific info or if you have any idea what the beer selection might (I'd love to get Pelican, HoTD, Cascade Lakes, Laurelwood,.... but this person wouldn't know Mother of All Storms from Shock Top, so i was hoping to make a list for them to look for) be like i'd appreciate any response.

Thanks
  2. guajolote

guajolote Member

I'm not sure about what the Made in Oregon stores will have, but the Laurelwood brewpubs in PDX both sell bombers as well as do growler fills. A growler fill (with the glass) is $14, and they have the standard lineup of beers (Gearhead, Tree Hugger, Space Stout, Free Range, Mother Lode, etc). Since you're already past security, you can just carry the growler right on to the plane. I always buy a growler to take back to Ohio with me when I visit the 'rents. There is also a Rogue pub in PDX, but I'm not sure if they sell bottles/growlers to go.

Also, the Made in Oregon stores inside the terminals (after you clear security) have booze. You could probably try calling to see what they have on-hand (although I seriously doubt there's any MoaS for sale at PDX).
  3. Mahlik

Mahlik Member

I was just at the Lloyd Center store a few weeks ago because I was looking for something to send to my parents in FL. That store had multiple beers from Rogue, Alameda, Ninkasi, Laurelwood, Widmer and a couple other random Oregon breweries. The only HotD I saw was Blue Dot and I don't believe they sell anything from Cascade or Pelican. They do have beers from Logsdon Farmhouse Ales in Hood River, OR. I recommend grabbing the Seizoen Bretta from them.
  4. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Member

Pelican and HotD won't be in the airport Made in Oregon store. Been about a year since I flew so I don't remember what exactly they sell but I remember browsing the store to see what was available. Lots of Rogue stuff IIRC and nothing to get excited about. A growler from Laurelwood will probably be your best bet.

Edit: in regards to what Mahlik said above, have your buddy grab the Logsdon and you won't be dissapointed. That wasn't there last time I flew but Logsdon has only been in bottles for about a year anyway.
  5. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Member

Don't know bout the airport location, but I've seen Laurelwood, Rogue, HUB, Beer Valley, Ninkasi, Upright along with others in the Made in Oregon stores at the malls. Just their standard releases, no limited release selections.
  6. boMD

boMD Member

Sometimes they have Hair of the Dog Adam. I bought some last summer on my way out to Hawaii for my Honeymoon.
    djbreezy likes this.
  7. Pawel

Pawel Member

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear the made in oregon store in pdx used to have HOTD fred and adam bottles.
  8. luwak

luwak Member

Thanks for the responses.

I thought i had heard HotD Adam was available somewhere at PDX....but I'm not holding my breath. I do appreciate the suggestion about Logsdon as i have no idea who they are.

The growler option is also intriguing. Ive had a few beers in PDX when ive been there but it never occured to me to ask about growlers.

So i did a further search and i see that made in Oregon has a list of what they can ship. I'm guessing not all of these are available in every store but now i'm a little more hopeful.

Does anybody see anything there they'd recommend?

http://www.madeinoregon.com/Oregon-Microbrews-Beer/

select "shop by brewery" or "all products" and you'll see a surprisingly wide array. No mention of HotD or Pelican though.

EDIT: fixed link
  9. Personally I'd go with anything from HUB (Hopworks Urban Brewing) or Upright from what I saw. But taste is subjective and it's really gonna depend on what you like........
  10. digita7693

digita7693 Member

I know the one in E terminal, I flew out of there on Sunday, had Ninkasi, Rogue, HUB, Upright and a couple others (no HOTD) and was just down from Laurelwood where you can get growler fills.
  11. johnmichaelsen

johnmichaelsen BA Moderator Staff Member

"There is also a Rogue pub in PDX, but I'm not sure if they sell bottles/growlers to go."

Last time I was there they did, and they were advertisting the fact that you could buy a growler to go. There was also a selection of bottles you could buy as well.

As Rogue beers are pretty much readily available and cheaper every place else on the planet, I never take advantage of this offer.
  12. luwak

luwak Member

EDIT...can't get the images to show

So my friend came back from his trip.
    As it turned out he didn’t end up having hours to kill in PDX so alas I have no updates on what is available at the stores there. Though I’m going back in the summer so I’ll stop in with a camera then.

I had given him some money and I guess he felt guilty so he emailed me to tell me and stated he’d be in Olympia, WA for a few days and asked if I had any requests that could be filled there. Well I suggested Gravity market and gave him a slight updated list (same Oregon beers plus some Washington ones and a few other breweries we don't get there).
    Now its worth noting here that I don't know this guy all that well and he doesn't know much about beer so anything he was willing to do for me I thought was very nice. I figured maybe I'd get 4 – 6 beers and that would be cool. I didn’t give much instructions otherwise except:
    Any other stouts: yes.
    Rogue, Deschutes, Bridgeport, Pyramid: NO (because we get them here and I figured they'd be ubiquitous up there)

This is what he came back with:

http://flic.kr/p/bJpBKr

So inside i see these really big price tags

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79534911@N00/7043468353

and unwrapped, (no spills or broken bottles either) it looked like this:

http://flic.kr/p/bvuoww

[​IMG]

For the record that’s 1 of each:
    Southern Tier Unearthly (we don’t get ST in AZ and that makes the luwak cry)
    Silver City Scotch Ale (I love the style no idea about the Brewery)
    Hair of The Dog Adam (seemed like a good bet always happy to have another Adam)
    Harmon Puget Sound Porter (any local stout or Porter makes me happy)
    American Brewing Caboose Oatmeal Stout (ditto above)
    Russian River Supplication
    Russian River Damnation (we don’t get RR in AZ….nuff said)
    Rogue John John Juniper (I hated this beer when I came out but if it had to be a Rogue beer at least it’s an interesting one…I’m sure I can find somebody who will take this off my hands)
    Boundary Bay IPA (? help me out on this one....somebody?)
    Old Schoolhouse Brewery Imperial Stout (awesome!)
    Upright Five (my g/f is really happy about this one!)
    Port Townsend Stout (local and dark, I’ll try any stout)
    Sound Brewery Monk’s Indiscretion (this was on my list)
    Fremont Bourbon Abominable (SCORE!!!!)
    Driftwood Fat Tug (nice; the g/f likes this one)
    Full Sail Top Sail Bourbon Barrel Porter Looks like 2012 vintage. Okay we get Full sail here in AZ but not so much of the special release and seasonal. This was a nice surprise. No Black Gold though.

And TWO bottles of 2011 The Abyss!! (I have a case of the Abyss at home but who would ever turn down more?) I made no mention of this beer as I wasn’t sure there’d be any left and I was more interested in things I hadn’t tried or had no access to but man this was a pretty good “not on my list” choice.

And a growler (!) of
    Hop Yard Fathom and League. A brewery I’ve never even heard of. But seeing as they have very limited distribution (as I have now understand) and I made no mention of growlers this is pretty great.

Needless to say this guy has now earned himself a place on the “if you ever need a favor…” list. He was well compensated for his efforts and I’ll be bringing him wine from my various exploits as he’s a wine guy.
    I feel like I slipped on a banana peel and feel into a pile of (soft pillow like) gold here.
  13. luwak

luwak Member

14. honkduh

honkduh Member

Boundary Bay IPA seems well liked around here so you should enjoy that. The Old Schoolhouse Imperial stout is excellent.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Member

Boundary Bay is one of my local brewpubs and (I believe, still) the largest brewpub in the nation by volume. The IPA is their largest seller and a pretty good example of a Northwest-style IPA. Scotch Ales aren't one of my favorite styles, but Silver City makes a fine one (as are all of their beers. They are perhaps the most under-rated brewery around these parts). The American Stout is really good. I'm generally a fan of Port Townsends brews, I can't tell if that's one I've had or not. And that Fremont Bourbon Abominable is REALLY a score. Nice selection you ended up with, Cheers!
  16. djbreezy

djbreezy Member

That Fat Tug IPA is pretty tasty. Looks like a nice haul there.