1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Magic Hat, Dark is Good

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by youbrewidrink, Dec 4, 2012.

1. I stopped by the Artifactory yesterday to see what was going on, there was plenty. There were three different stouts at the sample counter so I said, what the heck.

Heart of Darkness: A welcome blast from the past, decent stout available in sixers
    Feast of Fools: An over the top with raspberry stout for the holidays in 22oz. bottles
    Maple Chocolate Stout: A vermont only draft product with cocoa nibs from Lake Champlain Chocolates and maple syrup from a local producer (growlers at the brewery).

Their newest Hummdinger is Graupel, a 10%+ wheatwine, not a style that gets a ton of coverage yet.

I for one will be enjoying Magic Hat for the holidays

Fujii13 and jamvt like this.
  2. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (325) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

I've heard a lot of people say they have fond memories of heart of darkness, did it hold up? How were the others? Maple and chocolate.... I might have to send Michelle to get a growler of that.

JrGtr likes this.
  3. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Awesome, I plan on making a stop here on my trip through VT at the end of next week.

sandman3479 likes this.
  4. Heart of Darkness is solid as ever, I picked up a six pack. The Maple Chocolate Stout is a bit thin, but damn tasty, I got a growler for the fridge. I always ship Feast of Fools as extras around the holidays, it is the most raspberry beer that I have ever had, a bit thin, but if you like raspberry you should enjoy this.

5. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I grabbed some HoD when I first saw it released, then went back for more. It doesn't seem to be as thick mouthfeel as I remember it, but it was long before Kate the Great, DarkLors and all these other monster stouts. I have a homebrew recipe I found that does a great job of replied aging it, but formula next batch of it I want to add a bit more mouthfeel.

Ya know, it's funny. Every time I run into a Magic Hat Rep at a tasting or whatever, I make the comment that HoD was the best thing they ever made, and would be great if they brought it back.

6. IIRC, HoD was around last winter too. Solid replacement when I can't find Ipswich Oatmeal Stout.

7. Heart of Darkness is out in 12 packs! $13 for 12 delicious beers. I've already polished one box off over the last few weeks, and will grab another. Great beer, and an old favorite.

This is definitely the first year it's been back on shelves. The brewery put it on tap from time to time though.

Also, another fine Ipswich replacement this time of year is Mayflower Oatmeal Stout.

8. You are correct this is the 1st yr back. I think I mixed it up with Humble Patience (another nostalgic MH beer) . Nonetheless I will pick up some HoD. Loved it back in the early '00s.

9. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

nice to see some long tenured ba'ers showing some love for magic hat. mh will always hold a special place in my heart. it's been nice to take some recent walks down memory lane. having spent 10 years with magic hat back in the day, this positivity and show of excitement is how i remember it.

franklinn and SunDevilBeer like this.
  10. Bring back Roxy Rolles!!!!!

keithohara and Gosox8787 like this.
  11. Srsly.

12. JrGtr

You may be confusing it with the Howl, a dark lager they had out last year. Also a very good beer. The first good new one I've had from them in a long, long time.

13. jamvt

Humble Patience was the nitro version of Bob's 1st Ale, originally know as Magic Hat Ale. It was the first MH beer.

14. I really dig Howl. It's a great schwarzbier that gets zero love from geeks (not shocked) .

Nah I'm not confusing Howl with Humble Patience. HP was my fave beer in 2001 - I drank the hell out of it on nitro draft & bottles. I know I've had HP in the past year (forget when) & I enjoyed it.

15. "Nah I'm not confusing Howl with Humble Patience. HP was my fave beer in 2001 - I drank the hell out of it on nitro draft & bottles. I know I've had HP in the past year (forget when) & I enjoyed it."

I hear ya, HP on nitro used to be on tap at RI RA and it was my go to at the time.

16. jamvt

$3 pints every Thursday back in the day.

17. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Roxy Rolles is the only Magic Hat that I truly enjoyed.

18. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Howl is excellent. Is it not made any more?

19. Apparently after navigating MH's cryptic website for 30 mins Howl is no more. Disappointed.

Did pick up some HoD Stout today however & it's excellent.

20. JrGtr

I really liked the Howl. A dark lager that I believe was their fall seasonal last year.
    I gather that they don't normally brew the same thing as seasonals year after year like most do, but I hope that Howl will come back sometime in the future.
    They are an odd bunch up there, be it the website, the brewery itself and the people working there. It's tough to find anything on their website - though the current incarnation is still better than it used to be.

21. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

That's too bad.

Concidentally I had my own first taste of Heart of Darkness just a few hours after I replied to this thread. Very fine stout, I must say.

22. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

Heart of Darkness was great and haven't had it since it disappeared.

My favorite MH of all time is Revell... a Porter that had hand cut vanilla beans.

23. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Humble Patience was my buddy's favorite beer and he wasn't too please when they discontinued it.

I always liked Heart of Darkness and the Maple Chocolate Stout sounds really tempting.

24. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

Feast of Fools isn't available anywhere is it? I live in NH and would love to get a bottle to split with some friends. Sampled it once and really enjoyed it (in small quantities).

25. jamvt

brewery only.

26. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Initiate (0) Vermont May 10, 2005

Was in my kegerator circa 2001. Nitro. Slow pour. Guinness Faucet. Totally agree.

ILOVESTOUTS likes this.
  27. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

figured it would be something like that. bummer. I'm never in Burlington!

28. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

Magic hat has had quite a few solid to excellent beers over the years, and while I love the fact they consistently change the lineup it always seems the beers they hold onto are the worst of the bunch. I have throughly enjoyed the 1/2 doz Heart of Darkness's I have had as well.

JrGtr likes this.