Maine Beer Co Double IPA in the works!

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by IcemanCometh, Nov 8, 2012.

1. brewbetter and Rymar9 like this.
  2. Their stuff is excellent! I've really enjoyed everything I've tried so far. I got to stop by their brewery last week. So glad we can get it down here in NJ.

3. Oh yay. If it can be even less available than Lunch....& even less interesting....than I'll be sure to miss it even less.

Rekrule likes this.
  4. Awesome! Another super overpriced, yet awesome beer from MBC that I'll try once and never feel the need to buy again!

5. jwat

jwat Savant (435) Pennsylvania Jan 19, 2012

Out of curiosity, what have you been paying for MBC bottles? I'm in the philly burbs, and I never thought their prices were exorbitant

joeseppy and Retail1LO like this.
  6. Their stuff is great, can't wait to try this!

That said, they are so overpriced. Where I buy Lunch, it's $6.99 for that 16.9 oz bottle. That's just absurd. You can get so many really good 4 or 6 pack IPAs for less than $10. Kudos to them for getting those prices for their beers, but dammit I wish they'd move to 12oz bottles in packs for a reasonable cost.

7. Yea I had a sample of Lunch at a beer fest, 2 ounces, was phenomenal from the little bit I tried. Dont see myself ever buying a ~pint bottle for 7$ at a store. Any idea what this one will cost? I'm guessing 9$ for a 17 oz.

8. Hurrah. Something else to put on my list of gifts I want people to give me. Although Maine Beer Co's beers are throughly enjoyable, the price makes me think twice and when I do that, I usually buy something else.

9. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

they are hop wizards. it's a bit unfortunate for them that VT is killing it with hops at a much lower price though...

if they can ever fix their price point i'd be a big supporter. even at the current pricing i'd drink fresh zoe every couple weeks.

smutty33 and DevilsCups like this.
  10. Another beer from MBC to pass on. I'm excited.

time4lunch likes this.
  11. I was just saying to myself the other day: "if only there were more $10 half liter bottles on the shelves..."

Gatch, cavedave and mstobbs like this.
  12. I buy their beer all the time idc what the cost is its good...bought King titus and Zoe last night. Lunch fresh is amazing I havent had it in over a year so if I see this I will be buying one for sure.

13. ilovermont

ilovermont Aficionado (155) Vermont Jul 18, 2012

Hard to argue with any of the statements above, however, I think some of the sentiment/perception of MBC being overpriced comes down to MBC selling their beer in 500 ml bottles.

Lots of people grumble about paying $7 for a 500 ml MBC, however, far less folks seem to complain about paying $9-10 for a 22 oz. bomber (e.g. Lawson's, etc.). However, if you do the math, $7 for a 500 ml and $9 for a bomber are roughly the same cost per ounce.

Gatch, jhartley, joeseppy and 3 others like this.
  14. jwat

I honestly had no idea they cost that much in other areas. I'm used to paying 5 bucks for their whole line, except lunch which I think was 6.50

15. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (335) Maine Feb 23, 2012

Peeper = 4.50
    All others = 5.99
    Great beers, great company. More expensive than some, cheaper than others.

Gatch, Etan and DevilsCups like this.
  16. Agree with all the comments on pricing, having said that, enjoying a Lunch that is less than a week old can be worth it from time to time.

17. Will buy their beers when fresh without any hesitation. Eagerly awaiting this DIPA. Big supporter of MBC.

Gatch, joeseppy and DevilsCups like this.
  18. Big fan of MBC also love Mean Old tom! I find them reasonable compared to Qu├ębec microbreweries but more expensive than most American Micro's...I still love there stuff and will support them!

19. they are in the 7-9 range for me with some being 6.50 for a low at places. Shows you that dollar mark up. Wines and more is the worst their beer is always more expensive then other places.

20. Add $2 to each of those for Mass. Prices

Horbar likes this.
  21. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (335) Maine Feb 23, 2012

fa
    Sounds like the distributor isn't doing you any favors.

Gatch likes this.
  22. Lunch and Zoe should be in six packs for no more than $11 or $12 topps IMHO.

23. Lunch is 8 bucks in NYC. That's how much my...lunch costs. Great beer though.

24. mackeyse

mackeyse Savant (290) New York Aug 21, 2012

Damn, Lunch costs me almost $9 at Halftime Bev--I'm getting ripped off

25. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Hate all you want, I still pay $5 for Peeper and $6 for everything else- one of the perks of living in Maine. Definitely going to try this one, never been disappointed with MBC.

Gatch, joeseppy and jfmamj like this.
  26. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

i love MBC (really), but honestly i think lawson's is one tier up at least. quality-wise, lawsons or HF at the same pricepoint as MBC feels like a deal. plus heady kills lunch in terms of price, availability, and quality.

i want MBC to succeed because they're world class talent, but they need to address the price issue for me to be a big buyer of their stuff.

mountsnow1010 and mackeyse like this.
  27. Same in PA...

Onizilla likes this.
  28. Not sure why tiny little breweries bother distributing outside their state.

cavedave likes this.
  29. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (230) New York Apr 25, 2009

Same for NY and that's barely making any profit from whole sale cost. I don't get how they're so pricey through our distribution and only come down a few states. That being said, It's fantastic and I look forward to this.

30. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

BTW, am I the only one to notice the borderline comical batch variation with Lunch?

cavedave and Horbar like this.
  31. I can only find them for 7.99 a bottle. I really like Lunch when it's fresh, but I can't really justify the price of such a small bottle when I can get a six pack of Torpedo for the same price.

32. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (165) Maine May 22, 2012

Welp I just had 8oz of their Pilot batch DIPA for $5... and it was tasty! We were talking and wondering while drinking it if Double IPA meant double cost. We shall see if it gets bottled.

33. jwat

Definitely not worth 8 bucks, that's insane

34. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I'll try it when available, but if it's anything like recent batches of Lunch it will be a one and done for me. Earlier batches of Lunch were fantastic but as of late they've been seriously subpar. "Do What's Right" and get a handle on the equipment/process.

35. I got to get a taste of this yesterday at Novare Res and its probably worth whatever they want to charge for it. I'd put it right up there with Heady and Abner.They dry hopped the shit of it with Simcoe and Citra. The nose is amazing and it pours a slightly darker orange than Heady, but same texture.

I can't wait until its bottled. Unfortunately they said they are only going to brew it once or twice a year.

36. lunch and blind pig are the same beer to me. I honestly could taste no difference drinking them back to back last night.

37. JuliusTheCat

JuliusTheCat Aficionado (115) Maine Aug 29, 2012

You are most certainly not. It has been better recently, but it is still not back to what it was before the June batch. Though, reports from their tasting yesterday were what they were pouring was back to form. Who knows. Hopefully this double is all that people are saying.

38. mackeyse

mackeyse Savant (290) New York Aug 21, 2012

There is no other beer co. that annoys me like MBC. Very good not great (not a huge fan of Zoe or MO but like Peeper and love Lunch), and price point at least locally to me is crazy high. I pass over their beer reluctantly every time but its just not worth it when I can get Flower Power or Victory stuff for so much less. I mean I can order Pliny for $6 online (plus some shipping of course). I'm not paying $9 for Lunch. I hope the DIPA is good.

39. Try Jack's Abby out of MA. Just bought a couple of 500 ml bottles of Kiwi Rising, their Double India Pale Lager. Amazing stuff. Just bottled Thursday. Look for it. $5 a bottle at the brewery. Hoponious Union, their single IPL, goes for about $3 for 500 ml at stores. I skip MBC in favor of Jack's all the time.

Davepoolesque and smutty33 like this.
  40. Cheaper than who, Rochefort?