1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Maine Beer Co Double IPA in the works!

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by IcemanCometh, Nov 8, 2012.

1. That goes without saying in MA. But, we see the same kind of markup for everybody, and MBC still comes across as very overpriced relative to others.

I also think $9-$10 for a bomber of IPA is rather ludicrous. It's really just about market comparables though. Most IPA's are not $10 for a bomber. There are a boatload of A-level $2 (or less) per 12oz bottles of IPA out there - Stone, Dogfish, Smuttynose, Firestone Walker, Troegs, Green Flash, Sierra Nevada, Sixpoint, Flower Power, and on and on. $7-$8 for a bottle of lunch is a solid 3x the cost of all of those. Lunch is very good, but not any better than that lot.

I love MBC's beers, but they are extraordinarily overpriced. Even at ME prices they are still expensive. It's hard to buy the "new small brewery" thing either now that Jack's Abby has proven what is doable in the pricing department. And, MBC hasn't come down a bit in price since day 1 despite their growth, where they should be achieving some decent sense of scaled costs by now.
    Dope, AdamP, MeBeerGood and 2 others like this.
  2. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

Off the top of my head, Stillwater and Mikkeller come to mind, I'm sure there are many others if I really wanted to waste my time worrying about the price of a luxury.
  3. milesbrew

milesbrew Zealot (85) Rhode Island May 12, 2011

Price point is stiff...even local Maine prices...I agree here in MASS Jacks Abbey is delivering an amazing local product for a better value. That said Maine Beer Company products Zoe, Peeper, Lunch, Collaboration ale(lucky enough to land a couple of these) etc. etc. are tasty ....tasty...products. When my favorite craft beer tavern has MBC on tap.....I tend to pay the extra couple of bucks....
    valdieu2 likes this.
  4. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

This endless whining about price of MBC is predictable, old, and pointless. We're all here to drink good beers that costs a heck of a lot more than anything we "need" to have (refreshment and intoxication can be had for much less). And if we were too worried about price, we'd always drink at home instead of paying 2x more in a bar.

If you don't like their beer, or don't like their prices, don't buy it. That'll leave more for others who want it.

(personally, given 22oz of Rouge or 16.9 oz of MBC for the same price, I know which I'm buying....)
    Gatch, WickedGoodBBQ, volta and 2 others like this.
  5. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Predictable and old, perhaps, (just like MBC's high prices--zing!) but I think the point is to try to bring attention to the fact that MBC is priced much higher than many other worthy alternatives, with the hope that people change their buying habits. It's the passive-aggressive response to the refrain of "it can't be overpriced if so many people are excited to buy it."
    Lordquackingstic and AlcahueteJ like this.
  6. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

Prices based on taste?
    Economics rules us all.
    Overpriced? don't buy.
    LostTraveler, crushedvol and valdieu2 like this.
  7. I'm not sure how it is at your local liquor store, or at anyone else's in MA.........but I've seen an increasing number of 2 - 3 month old Peeper and Zoe that just sit on the shelves. And now when MO and Lunch come out I have no problem getting them if I desire. In the past I would need to get to the liquor store the day it was tweeted out that there was a delivery, otherwise I would come up empty. Of course now I pass on all of them due to price, except Peeper which I see from time to time on draft for nearly the same price as a bottle at the liquor store.
  8. Wohoooo!!! Pretty excited about this one! Ghandi-bot is in the top tier on my end, however maine beer company takes over my preference for one of my favorite beer companies out there! I think they will have the winning double ipa! Ha Its funny that before Maine beer company I refused to give IPA's a chance and only 2 years later Im hooked to obviously "the best" in category!! Go Maine Beer Co!
  9. saw this tweet too and was very excited. ever since their expansion they have been really kicking up their production and it also allows them to mess around with brews. Just drank a lunch too!

[​IMG]
    smutty33 likes this.
  10. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

I received a Lunch in a BIF recently. If it were available in STL I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for $7-$9 once a week or so. It was amazeballs. I'll never understand why people sneeze at paying a premium for a top-tier IPA, but can't get their wallet out fast enough to buy a $15+ small bottle Wild Ale/Sour.
    Gatch, mjpotter, joeseppy and 3 others like this.
  11. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

In south Jersey/Philly craft beers at a bar are regularly $5-$7. I don't get worked up paying $6.50 for a beer anymore I guess.
  12. MBC beers in bars in MA are usually about $9-10 on draft, even Peeper. Peeper can be found in bottle for 4.99 and I bought a Lunch for 6.69 the other day in MA. I like MBC but find them a little pricey(then again all the new local Nanos are just as bad) and Lunch has changed a bit from batch to batch with the October batch being excellent. Jack's Abby as mentioned is killing it and putting out beers of higher quality IMO for half the price, and they are lagering which is a longer process.
  13. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Unfortunately, (for drinkers) as brewers get a reputation the prices inevitably rise. Enjoy the bargains while we can...
  14. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Can't wait to see the price of this bottle. MBC usually leaves me butt hurt.
  15. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Had a glass of the pilot batch at novare an it was amazing. Can't speak highly enough about it really. I'll drop 6 or 7 bucks a bottle no problem.

It's weird how people can't just not buy MBC without coming on here to tell everyone.
    Gatch, GeoffreyM and LostTraveler like this.
  16. FTowne

ISO:
  17. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

My sources ( do I sound like ESPN ) say it was a one off and not to be bottled or brewed again. I hope I'm wrong.
    smutty33 likes this.
  18. this i don't get. why would something of this nature be decided upon already? it hasn't even hit retail yet. is there a hop variety here that they used the last of on earth. puzzling.
  19. Sounds just like Lunch to me. After Lunch, I couldn't even bring myself to get any of the others once.
  20. i'm looking at $5.99-$7.10 in Somerville/Cambridge Massachusetts. As stated by Stormfield, above, hard to justify that spend when Jack's Abby Kiwi Rising is $4.70 and just as fresh, just as amazing.

"Do what's right".... lower your prices.
    Gatch likes this.
  21. Its hard to justify 2 bucks? Personally I'd rather spend the extra 2 bucks and drink both a bottle of Kiwi Rising and Lunch. I'm new here but continue to be amazed how high a priority is placed on price. I used to be into wine and all beer is cheap in comparison.
    Gatch, valdieu2 and skinsfan like this.
  22. Because there arent enough sheep in Maine to buy all the $6-8 pints off the shelves for them to make their salary
  23. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

For me, at least, it's that Lunch is priced so out of whack compared to most other 7% IPAs. Why is Lunch 50% pricier than KR? The breweries have about the same capacity, they're both from the same region, and both are about the same age. The beers have similar bills of ingredients, and if anything the higher ABV and lager yeast used to make KW probably necessitate a longer residence time in the fermentor. When I see this as a consumer, it makes me feel like I'm subsidizing the brewer unnecessarily, either compensating for lousy business management that's unnecessarily inflating their costs, or the brewer is taking a bigger margin than his peers. Breweries like this claim to love their fans, but they happily take more of my money than necessary.

Look, Lunch is an excellent beer. It's just not 50%+ better than its peers, and thus the price is unjustified. In other words, what cbeer88 said above.
  24. I paid $4.99/bottle for KW and 6.99/bottle for Lunch @Julios yesterday. I'm not great at math but thats not 50%+.

Is Lunch a good value? No. I'm just surprised by the amount of hand wringing over a couple bucks.
  25. FTowne

I would pay $6.99 for Lunch all day every day if it were available here. So good.
    WickedGoodBBQ likes this.
  26. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

I'm from Maine and enjoy MBC products, don't call me a fucking sheep. :)
    Way more sheep on here whining about beer they have no obligation to buy.
    joeseppy, FTowne and valdieu2 like this.
  27. No one is whining, we are saying "hey MBC we think your beers are tasty however, We can buy other equally good or better beers for less, I'd like to see more of your beers in my fridge but can't justify it at the current price point"

Sorry, I'll drink $3 cans of HT all day before buying MBC Lunch.
    I'll also drink one of the 4 HF IPA's on tap that are cheaper than MBC.

The issue isnt that $7 is too much for a beer, it is too much for their beer.
    MBC is in 9 states and only does 3k bbls/year, there are several breweries that do more volume and have significantly smaller footprints. Their strategy is clear.
  28. JuliusTheCat

JuliusTheCat Aficionado (100) Maine Aug 29, 2012

In all fairness to MBC, as I've been complaining about the quality drop in lunch since June, this most recent batch (11/17) is back to form. Very solid. Also, be real, price aside, lunch is SO superior to Hoponious Union. It's not even close. However, once you get price involved, it becomes a different matter. Getting 8 btls of HU for the price of 3 or 4 Lunches is a major problem. I hope things change when they open the new Freeport brew house in the spring, but I really doubt it. They don't seem to have the Maine 'yankee' gene, but then again, they aren't Mainers, so it's not surprising.
  29. blt2646

blt2646 Savant (265) New Hampshire Mar 20, 2006

I agree with you that the most recent batch was def. back to form. I had some over the summer that was subpar at best. Regardless, if I see it I buy it. The pricing is absurd but I just look at it as a special treat when I can actually find it.
  30. Moving to Freeport is exactly what someone "from away" would do. Was there nothing available in Bar Harbor?

All joking aside, I'd kick a puppy for fresh lunch on tap like I had today, but there's just something about mbc., i cant put my finger on They make great beers. Lunch in its best form is a top ten IPA, but Pliny in NoCal is sold for less. Heady, we all know is less. Jacks Abby is priced great.

But they'll succeed because of the rep they have amongst those who wear boat shoes...on their yachts. They'd rather have higher prices so they can take care of a monkey? I'd rather they pass the savings onto me or at least meet me half way. We're paying for that monkeys care, not them, but they get the credit. Bullshit.

Our bitching on this message board won't change anything. Just like buying NFL season tix that come with 2 preseason games no one wants, they won't stop unless people stop buying. And I can't quit. At least until someone comes along with something close, that's readily available. New England was ripe for their picking because the overall lack of hoppy beers, but that won't be the case for much longer.
  31. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Price and quality, yes. Availability - no. I live just over an hour from the alchemist cannery yet I have to drive further to get Heady (either an hour to montpelier or an hour+ to the cannery) than I do for Lunch (which is available at least 4 stores within 15 minutes of my house).
  32. Sounds damn fine!
  33. JuliusTheCat

JuliusTheCat Aficionado (100) Maine Aug 29, 2012

Yea, I don't see how this is an argument. Heady is better & cheaper, but no way is it more available. Even with Lunch not being constantly brewed, it is still available to a broader base of people. And boy do I wish that wasn't true, cause goddamn it if I wouldn't kill to be drinking a Heady & watching hockey right now.
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  34. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

That's for sure! Portland is pretty much the only spot in Maine that isn't stereotypically Maine-ish - and the brewery is barely in Portland (I thought I was in Westbrook when taking the tour.) :)

Glad to see in this thread that Lunch is back to form - I will give it a shot as my bottle shop just got a shipment of the latest batch. If it tastes just like Pliny again I'll add it back to my "nice" list.
  35. Its a tough market for DIPA'a here in NE. Kiwi Rising (I AM AWARE THEY CALL IT A DIPL) sets the bar very high. If the price isnt too skewed, i am all in. Hell, I'll try it anyway, price be damned.
  36. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

heady is more consistently brewed and easier to buy in bulk. the post about living an hour away from the cannery... s/he could buy a case of heady and justify the trip. i'm sure it's easier to remain stocked with heady than lunch.

which isn't to say that one shouldn't get lunch or anything. i'd have trouble justifying it if i were closer to VT though.
  37. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

We generally pay $7.49 per 17 oz. bottle in southern Mass. where I buy it. Yes, pretty pricey but not sure how someone could not like it. Very good brews.
  38. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

39. jwat

jwat Savant (375) Pennsylvania Jan 19, 2012

Wow, down here they're $4.99/bottle...that's ridiculous