1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Maine Beer Co/Lawson's Finest Liquids "Collaboration Time 1"

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by sk8man121, Jul 18, 2012.

1. sk8man121

sk8man121 Savant (280) Maine Aug 24, 2007

Not sure if anyone has had a chance to try this beer yet, but it was released in bottles today in Portland and is literally 90% snatched up at this point; I was able to get one of the last bottles this evening. No mention of style or ABV, but the label points to hops from VT, barley from ME, wheat from NH and rye from MA.

Haven't written a review in ages, but I'm about to crack it and will put one up tonight since there aren't any yet. Anyone try this yet?
  2. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Holy shit...that is a ridiculous collaboration. I adore all of MBC's beers. Haven't had anything from Lawsons yet, but that's about to change after my drive up to VT next week.
  3. Lawson's Triple Play IPA and Maine's Lunch are two of the finest IPAs on this planet....... Glad they did something together!
  4. sk8man121

5. m100

m100 Aficionado (140) New Jersey Feb 13, 2011

ISO
    franklinn likes this.
  6. sk8man121

If I had to guess ABV I'd say 7ish probably. Not super strong but there's some heat in there.
  7. Yup, it's 7%. Looking forward to trying this at the Vermont Brewer's Fest this weekend.
  8. sk8man121

It's really nice when it warms. May try to snag one more in the morning.
  9. Sounds amazing. Guess I was in Maine a week too early.
  10. sk8man121

Allagash just released their geuze yesterday too. Weird week here.
  11. This is news to me. Is it bottled or draft only?
  12. I thought they were calling it a brown ale rather than your typical Black IPA. I missed out thanks to work, but I have a good idea what it probably tasted like.
  13. This was just posted on the MBC website:

Collaboration Time I (Lawson’s Finest Liquids)

A hoppy American dark ale incorporating New England-grown barley, wheat, rye, and whole cone hops.
    Vitals:
    Color – Dark Brown
    ABV – 7.2%
    O.G. – 1.069
    Malt – American 2-Row, Chocolate Malt, Chocolate Rye, Crystal Wheat, Caramel 80L, Midnight Wheat, Flaked Oats
    Hops – US Magnum, Centennial, Cascade, Columbus

Had a very productive day yesterday picking up this and some Resergum.
  14. sk8man121

It's available in bottles; $15 for roughly 12 oz. I'm not sure if they still have any (I haven't had a chance to grab any myself yet), but I believe they had a lot of them.
  15. Do you know the name of it? Was it Resurgam again?
  16. I know they did release Resurgam yesterday but not sure if this is what that other guy was talking about.
  17. Any chance you know the bottle count and limit? Had I known earlier I would have driven up today because I have today off :(. Luckily I know someone who lives in Portland.
  18. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

15 bucks for 12 oz. there are kids starving in china, for christs sake
  19. Just got back from Allagash. Bottle limit is 2 per person. Not sure on the total bottle count for this batch.
    nathanjohnson likes this.
  20. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Seams like a reasonable price for a world class gueze made in Maine. This thread is about the Maine beer/Lawson's collab anyways. I'm sure it will degenerate to beating up MBC over their prices soon enough. Stick around for that, it's always a great conversation.
    ctkach and Chowdahead like this.
  21. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Anyone in Vermont see any bottles yet?
  22. They just said "a bunch" on their facebook unfortunately.
  23. 15$ for 12 oz of anything sucks. How much do you really think it cost to brew and distribute ?
  24. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

It's a coolship beer. Lot of time and effort go into it. They aren't just artificially jacking up their price
    LostTraveler and youbrewidrink like this.
  25. Citra

Citra Aspirant (35) Connecticut Dec 27, 2011

It is nice to see a beer made with mostly all local ingredients from different parts of New England.
  26. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (310) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

They should be in stores soon, I know Warren store is getting some tomorrow, and Id Imagine the Coop and Winooski will get some too.
  27. sk8man121

to weigh in here, $15 for 12 oz of beer is undoubtedly expensive, but beers like those which come out of Allagash's coolship program cannot and should not be compared to most "other" 12 oz beers; they're not meant to be aimlessly crushed while grilling pork chops. These things are wildly complex and a lot of work has gone into producing them; it's not a science like that seen in 90% of the industry, but a wholehearted experiment. A $15 price of admission really isn't out of line, considering the fact that this is not an everyday deal.
  28. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Coolship Resergum is back out, great gueze worth the $. Its a mix of 3 yrs of coolship brewing, not expense bc of demand. Take alot of time and space to age that much beer for that long.

The MBC/Lawson collab is great.... only available in ME and VT....
  29. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (160) Maine May 22, 2012

MBC/ Lawsons is 16.9z for $6.99 (at least at the store I work and there is still a case or so left !)... just finished one and it is wonderful. they classify it as a dark american ale but its got so much chocolate notes and fresh tropical hops its hard to not compare it too a black ipa. Yum !

Thinking of tapping into the Allagash Resurgam tonight as well.
  30. fenixfoods

fenixfoods Zealot (80) Vermont Dec 27, 2007

Wouldn't count on it unless you are going to the Mad River Valley...Lawson's is excellent, and very hard to obtain!
  31. fenixfoods

Have some in Randolph, VT
  32. fenixfoods

$7-8 here for 16.9 oz
  33. fenixfoods

Randolph
  34. troughnbrew

troughnbrew Zealot (90) Maine Feb 28, 2010

Collaboration Time was $7+ in Portland, but is pretty much gone. Bier Cellar just got a bit more, but you should hurry. Seems like it hit Vermont several days later, so may still be broadly available there. It is delicious - the rye is a nice touch.

(The post on $15 for 12 oz was about Allagash Resurgam. For a tiny, quasi-experimental coolship production that blends 1, 2 and 3 year old lambics, that's not really expensive. It's more a labor of love than a commercial enterprise. I can't imagine that they turn a profit on it or that they're really trying to.)
  35. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (160) Maine May 22, 2012

Lois' Natural right down Rt. One in Scarborough has a case and a half on the shelf... I order the beer there and we are a nice little sleeper place to pick things up that have sold out elsewhere. FYI we have a couple bottles of BRUX, Tilquin, Lambickx and Duchessic. ;)
    jfmamj likes this.
  36. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Gonna be hitting up Prohibition Pig, Warren Country Store, Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. Big haul will ensue.
  37. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

I stocked up on beer last night before all of you out of state jackals cleaned out our stores for the second week in a row.

just kidding:D

sort of:cool:
  38. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

its hitting stores around here today, released at 5 O'clock. Sean Lawson will have it at the brewfest and doesn't want anyone stealing the thunder, so to speak. It will be on tap at the reservoir tonight after 5, and the beverage warehouse in winooski in bottles.
  39. BUGK08

BUGK08 Zealot (95) Maine Jun 14, 2009

Madden Beverage in Saco still has about a case as of 7pm today.
  40. just got two bottles of colaberation time i freeport
    excited to try it