1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Maine Beer Co/Lawson's Finest Liquids "Collaboration Time 1"

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by sk8man121, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I just got back from Kittery Maine, and The Black Birch had it on tap. They actually had a sick beer list there, Mikkeller, Evil Twin, MBC/Lawson's, Oxbow Pale Ale, Oxbow Black Saison, and all kinds of other stuff. Everything about this restaurant owns, and the MBC/Lawson's was phenomenal. Really well crafted, excellently balanced, and a thing of beauty... I had to have it 2x
  2. makomakoman

makomakoman Disciple (70) Maine Apr 6, 2011

good stuff

relatively cheap in Maine

Just picked up 5 bottles. :)
  3. There are cases at MBC still, go figure.
  4. Will this even make it to Boston?
  5. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

As are there at Whole Foods
  6. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (310) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

I was told its not making it outside VT and Maine, but I'm sure some entrepreneuring liqueur store owners will smuggle some down and mark it up to $15

If anyone missed out and is craving this delicious brew, the Warren Store should get cases on the next two fridays (and still had some left yesterday).
  7. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Up here visiting in VT. Grabbed a few bottles and it's a great, great beer. Think of MBC Zoe with a roasty backbone.

Definitely bringing some home.
  8. slentz

slentz Savant (310) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

anyone know if the allagash gueze is still available?
  9. rudzud

rudzud Advocate (630) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2010

I'm kicking myself for not having bought more than one bottle last weekend. There were cases where I was...its so freaking tasty.
  10. I'd expect so. I picked up my two bottles of coolship this past Saturday and they seemed to have a bunch left.
    I noticed the bottling date was last year, which surprised me.

If you get shut out, BM me - I've got one left that I was planning on drinking this weekend. :)
  11. Brez07

Usually tends to last a little while since it's a silent release, but just call the shop and they can tell you
  12. slentz

Cool, thanks guys !
  13. slentz

I was able to grab some resurgam while I was at Allagash seems like they had quite a few bottles left.
  14. Anyone know if these are still available, looking for collab time and didn't know if anyone knew somewhere that had it before I
    Made the drive up...any help would be great, would trade for it also if someone was willing

Cheers
  15. collab time is still around montpelier and burlington, so I'd presume it is elsewhere in the state also.
  16. DevilsCups

I got mine at Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier. Call them up and see if they have any more. They had a few cases when I was there last weekend.
  17. polarbear14

polarbear14 Zealot (75) Vermont May 11, 2012

FWIW Terrill Street Discount in Rutland still has bottles of this in the cooler for$6.99.
  18. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (160) Maine May 22, 2012

Hwo much do they have... isn't there a date like drink by 9-19-12? I know they didn't bottle it that long ago but I applaud the fact that they dated best by one month.
  19. Shit I got I in the fridge, best by 9/15/12..guess I'll be drinkin it tonight.
    Lukaduke likes this.
  20. polarbear14

polarbear14 Zealot (75) Vermont May 11, 2012

The rack in the cooler looked full, so probably a 10-12 at least. Definitely nice to have the drink by date on the bottle.
  21. I saw that too. Was kinda shocked.
  22. What a shame. They should have expanded to distro to at least one other state. They would have found good homes.
  23. All the other spots in the state that I had seen them in the past are gone, so I think this store may have been an anomaly
  24. Lukaduke

Well most of it didn't make it out of Maine... and what stayed in Maine sold out in a week or two ! Hope to see more collaborations from Maine Beer Co.

Side Note: Pretty sure they have a porter being release soon called Titus !
  25. DevilsCups

I think "King Titus" is a standard MBC released upcoming beer. Looks like a 6.5% porter from the label.

I kinda hope they do an imperial stout collaboration. Lawsons are nearly unottainable, and Maine's is good but pretty tame. A maple style stout would be cool, kinda like Lawsons.
  26. Lukaduke

Yeah the Titus is not a collaboration... but Im looking forward to drinking it. I here you about an imperial, I enjoy Old Tom but its got a bit to much vanilla for me to visit for anything other than dessert.
    DevilsCups likes this.
  27. holy eff. anyone else tried a Titus yet? this stuff is amazing. i really didn't like Mean Old Tom - this is everything i wanted in an MBC porter/stout. this is almost an imperial.
  28. It just hit the Boston area. I was in the same boat as you with Mean Old Tom. After this, I'm really looking forward to this one. Now if I can just ditch this cold so I can taste things.
  29. Just picked up 4 bottles of King Titus. Super excited to try it.
  30. CADMixes

CADMixes Savant (250) Massachusetts Feb 29, 2012

Titus is a nice beer for sure; unquestionably a hell of a lot better than Mean Old Tom.
  31. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Has anyone had the new Tom? It has around 30 percent more vanilla bean in it, and while it's not my favorite beer, I think it's a big improvement over previous batches. The vanilla character is now obvious compared to barely perceptible, which is how the beer was before. I think they need to bump up the roast a little bit and tone down the vanilla to somewhere between current and previous levels. I do like how they're tweaking things. There's always room for improvement.

Looking forward to trying this King Titus sometime soon, it sounds great. Cheers
  32. Brez07

I think the biggest improvement they made was making the beer fuller, so to speak. Original batch was so thin it was like a brown ale posing as a porter/stout. Am glad they bumped up the vanilla a bit too though

That being said, with Titus now available, not sure I'll be picking up too many more MOTs
  33. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

If you're talking about the Maine Brewing bottle, the date that is stamped on is the bottling date, not the best-by date. Other breweries should start doing this, and should forever abandon the idea of a best-by date as they all use different rationale and different dates.
  34. The Collab 1 had a best by date on them.
    sandman3479 likes this.
  35. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

Crap, I thought this was a new thread. Nevermind. I figured this was just released. Not ISO anymore.
  36. when was this change made? i had Batch 1 Mean Old Tom, didn't like it. tried again on tap in like... February? still didn't like it. had a bottle in maybe August or so, still didn't like it (still the old labels at that point). most of the MBC beers seem to vary a bit batch to batch (peeper and zoe less so) - but it sounds like this was a more defined change, as you quoted that 30% number.

just picked up a couple bottles of it with the new labels for trades... should i drink one instead?
  37. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

I agree that the old Mean Old Tom was underwhelming. It was thin, and really didn't pack much flavor. The "new" Tom is much better in my opinion.

By the way, the decision to increase the amount of vanilla bean was made sometime in July/August 2012. I know one of the brewers. Cheers