1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Maine Brewing Lunch IPA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by mcBrewsAlot, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Any leads in the MA area?

2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Julio's went through their shipment in < 2 hrs on Friday. I think Redstone went through theirs same day too.

Ganglani likes this.
  3. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Wait, I thought every Mass. BA refused to pay MBC prices? ;)

4. Why?

5. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

right on schedule....

beerinmaine likes this.
  6. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

You know who enjoys the constant MBC price grousing? Sculpin.

xhcadamx likes this.
  7. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

I made that mistake only once :oops:

8. Yea, I got one for $8 at Marty's in Newton. They got a case and told me it was promised to a list of people. I asked how to get on said list for the future, and the guy told me you have to be a friend of one of the beer guys. There were only 10 on the list, so I got one of the two bottles for sale. Good DIPA but damn is it tough to get

9. Wormtown Be Hoppy is better and easier to get.

10. As is Hoponius Union (yea yea yea - I know, it's a lager). AND its only $3!

WassailWilly, mklisz and IcemanCometh like this.
  11. Liquor World in Porter Square tweeted that they had some at the beginning of the weekend. Probably long gone by now, but give them a call.

12. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

No kidding. MBC Lunch almost makes Sculpin seem reasonably priced. Almost.

13. Sculpin = $9.99/22oz (generous in this area) = $.45/oz
    Lunch = $7.99/16.9oz (also generous) = $.47/oz

tehzachatak likes this.
  14. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Yes!!! Be hoppy is phenominal!!! Fresh it is on par with Hill Farmstead ipas IMO.

Horbar likes this.
  15. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Fresh Be Hoppy really is much better than Lunch. For real. Seriously. No doubt. Truly is. It tastes like HF Edward and Flower Power had a baby together.
    I just can't find any fresh ones. I guess I gotta hit the brewery for some growlers.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  16. Horbar

Wormtown Be Hoppy = $7.99/22oz and kicks ass

Where the hell do you find Sculpin for 9.99?? In RI and Southeastern Mass, it's at least 11.99. :eek:

17. Bowdoinbeerboy

Bowdoinbeerboy Savant (380) Maine Sep 28, 2006

I picked up 3 bottles of this batch at Bier Cellar in Portland, ME last week ($6.50 a bottle), it is drinking freaking amazing right now. Absolutely loving each bottle.

Just got an email from Greg and they will be getting a few more cases in the next couple of days. Get it while you can.

Tidesox28 likes this.
  18. Last time I went they told me no growler fills for anything they bottle… ymmv

19. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Ouch. I see 9.99 alot in the Southeastern MA I live in. I actually see it for 9.99 in Boston as well.

20. I kept it really low to illustrate my point. It's usually around 10.99 here.

Horbar likes this.
  21. Horbar

Do they sell bottles there??

22. do they date the bottles of be hoppy?

23. Yes. It's on the back, almost like it's part of the artwork. I really love this beer but finding fresh ones isn't super easy.

Horbar likes this.
  24. Every once in a while they do i believe they have sweet tats for growler fills right now .

25. $7.49 last time I saw it on the south shore, usually see it @ $9.99. Disclaimer: I have no idea of the bottling date so dont ask.

26. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

5.99 at Bow St Market.

27. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

It may be good and tough to get, but a DIPA it isn't.

28. It's not an IPA either and more similar to a DIPA than an IPA. Just split the difference and call it an ale

29. Lunch might be expensive, but Wormtown Be Hoppy is not better.

30. xanok

Why is it not an IPA?

andrewinski1 likes this.
  31. Why is it an IPA?

32. xanok

Because the label, MBC's website, BA, and the other site all call it an ipa with no indication that it's a DIPA.

33. fine. good.

34. Congrats, you caught me when I misspoke, send me your address and I'll make to send you your reward.

35. I think that's the higher price and the rarity that you're tasting. :)

BleepBloopBlap and Horbar like this.
  36. Hoponius union is a third the price of lunch and I personally prefer it, so lunch is dead to me until the price comes down, which it probably won't since stores seem to sell out within hours of receiving it.

37. Not that difficult to sell out of a single case in a few hours. The stores in MA that received this run maxed out at a case. Expansion, yay!

Horbar likes this.
  38. xanok

I liked your original posts more.

halfshell and andrewinski1 like this.
  39. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Easier to get? Yes! Better? No!

40. I've gone back and forth on MBC, but when I can get a fresh Lunch that's less than a week or two old, It's fantastic. It's also something you don't find every day, so why not splurge once in a while. I drink Hoponius Union weekly, but if I can get a fresh Lunch. I'm buying it.