1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Maine Brewing Lunch IPA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by mcBrewsAlot, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

MBC products tastes like hops in club soda to me. Will revisit this summer, but not impressive during a hard winter.

2. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Do Mean Old Tom, King Titus and Zoe taste like this to you? Seems like maybe you just can't handle beer that's actually carbonated...

3. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

and watery. I am referring to Peeper and Lunch. Not saying they are not the worlds best lawnmower beers, but this winter Vermont doesn't call for lawnmower beer. Will revisit this Mean Old Tom and King Titus this winter and maybe the former two this summer.

4. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Fair enough, but I think it's a bit much to call Lunch and Peeper "watery." Peeper has definitely changed over the years and moved towards more of a lighter, entry-level craft beer, but Lunch?! That stuff has an OG of like 1.070. It's refreshing, dry and definitely not malty, but watery? Maybe if all you drink is Bigfoot. Give me your address and I'll send you some PBR to retune your palate ;) Cheers man, to each his own.

smutty33 likes this.
  5. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I'll take fresh Lunch and MO any day!!! Peeper, not so much. It has always been wildly inconsistent for me.

6. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I cannot reconcile Lunch and "watery". And I like beers that will stand up without a glass.

7. I'm drinking one right now and its the 2/19/13 bottle date, and it taste watery. i have lunch a few different times, and this definitely tastes more watery than any other batch. a victim of the current expansoin project? or just a bad batch? aroma is really nice but really watery at first and the just bitter

8. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

The born-on 2/19/13 batch came from the old facility, so any change can't be attributed to expansion.

9. i assumed as much, i look forward to the brews from the expansion facility.

10. Pretty Things Meadowlark is on the same level as Lunch.

blckout20 and Stormfield like this.
  11. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (505) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

Yeah we get it... so and so beer brewed in MA is on par or even better than Lunch. Thanks

12. Meadowlark's pretty good - I look forward to when it becomes year-round in August. Not really sure what his point was though since it hasn't been around since last August. Literally impossible to get it fresh, because it hasn't been brewed!

13. At the rate they send Lunch this way, you're better off waiting until August!

Dools9 and Horbar like this.
  14. just found the mother load.. atlas liqours mystic ave medford! Get em while their fresh!

15. Atlas in Quincy had some as of Tuesday evening, but most likely gone at this point though. The 3/26 batch is only the second batch (#14 overall) since late November. Why is this stuff brewed so infrequently compared to the other beers in their lineup? Is it a hop shortage or something?

16. I guess I'll always be one of the few that cant wrap his head around why people go bonkers for this beer. Sold out in 2 hours? Why?

willbm3 likes this.
  17. I personally really like it, but I think it definitely has something to do with the fact that its so hard to get in comparison to Zoe, Mo, or Peeper etc.

18. Table & Vine had some yesterday Western Mass folks. Probably gone now though. I picked up 2 bottles, although I don't find this beer to be way ahead of the IPA curve.

19. Picked one up last night, IMO the beer is amazing when fresh.

20. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I've seen this in every store I've been in the past week. Boston Wine Exchange had some last Friday. Charles St. Liquors, Whole Foods River St., and Downtown Wine and Spirits in Davis all got it in today

21. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Yep. I bought one last week because I hadn't had it before and it was sitting there. It was 3 days old and tasted fine, but nothing special. I doubt I ever buy it again. There's just too many readily available good/better IPAs out there

BleepBloopBlap and mcBrewsAlot like this.
  22. To W.MA we got some in as well. I don't usually like to post prices... but I will this time. 7.55 shhhh don't tell anyone.
    Only 10 left.

Oh, by the way, we're looking to have a beer trading event this Sunday. Same rules as here on BA, trade only, no cash exchange. :D

23. It used to be so much better its first few batches...the one back in early december late nov was pretty good though.

tehzachatak likes this.
  24. IMHO its perhaps one of the best well balanced IPA's around... yet still, it captures hop heads attention.
    If we're talking price, I'm hooked Sucks and Unearthy ATM. My usually goto for IPA's in Firestone... We just got in some Hopwired from New Zealand. I'm looking to try it this weekend.
    /// runs back to topic///
    Maine Brewing does great beers. I love it when a good brewery develops a following just based on their beer, not on hype, or TV ads. I only wish their Lunch came out more often.

25. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

I got one at Julio's at 4:30. I left one on the shelf

TheBeerShop likes this.
  26. Overrated/overpriced. Next.

ICCULIS, BleepBloopBlap and Rekrule like this.
  27. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Just like Sculpin used to be.

28. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I live in Maine and I've never tasted Lunch...perhaps I should pick up a bottle to share at DLD?

29. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

I don't think every batch leaves Maine. That being said, they just moved to a bigger facility in Freeport so you might be seeing it more often a little later this year

30. I'm not sure it actually is brewed less frequently than MO, Mean Old Tom, King Titus... Maybe less than Zoe or Peeper, but those are their "flagships", I think. I think it's brewed just as much as those, but just sells out faster. I doubt it's a hop issue, as there's nothing crazy in the hop bill and all of the hops are also used in their other beers.

31. I'm just going by batch frequency on the label, or maybe like someone said before not every batch leaves Maine and therefore isn't numbered.

32. by the label, do you mean date? or are they actually numbering batches now? they weren't last time i bought an MBC bottle. and i can assure you that bottles in Maine are dated.

i would assume "every batch" does probably leave Maine, but I doubt Boston gets all of them. MBC's distribution footprint is really big now, probably because of their pricing scheme.

33. There's a batch number next to the date on each bottle. For example the latest batch read 32613, 14. The last batch I had back in early December read 111912, 12. So according to the batch number, they've only made two batches of Lunch in 4 months. That's much less frequent than the other beers in the lineup.

34. Yes, its great stuff. Support your local brewery :D

35. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I buy Mean Old Tom fairly regularly...my girlfriend is in love with it...and I've been supporting the hell out of Allagash lately...zero complaints there.

TheBeerShop likes this.
  36. Any Lunch sightings in MA?

37. nootch23

nootch23 Savant (340) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2012

I bought 4 bottles of Lunch at OneStop Liquors in Beverly, MA last night. No limit. I do know Boscy's Liquors in Saugus is getting some in today with a 1 per limit.

38. Redstone posted they have some. Released at 5pm today, 1 per person, no holds.

Ganglani likes this.
  39. I picked up a bottle at Blanchards in West Roxbury maybe a month ago? It seems like they've always got some MBC in the front fridge. Not sure what the date is. I think they may have been sitting there for a while. This store really does get a lot of good beer in, but I don't think that the local population has much interest in it. Much more of a meat and potatoes crowd. I have to be careful not to pick up something that has been sitting for too long.

40. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Just grabbed a bottle at Yankee in Attleboro. Looked like they had at least 5-6 left.