1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Maisel's Weiss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerLoversInternational, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Has anyone seen this available in the US? If so how much does it run? I usually pay anywhere between .90 cents and $1.10 for a half liter. I love this beer so much and it is because of the knowledge of the fact that I will pay way more back home for this that I have decided to start brewing my own hefeweizen. Anyone got some info on this?

[​IMG]
  2. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Not sure how common it is, but it definitely makes it over to the US.
    Here's their importer - http://www.wh-company.com/
    You might try hitting them up to see if it makes it to your area.
  3. Righteous, I am still in Germany right now, and I was tracking the importer. The last I saw it ran for like 2.80 something a bottle, that's just crazy.. Thanks for the help though:)
  4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Oh man...that's actually a decent price. Most German 1/2L import singles are $3.50 - $5'ish or more for bock-strength items.
  5. Holy crap! I guess I really need to get started brewing and get my recipe down before I get back there!! I would go complete withdrawal if I couldn't get some good hefe most days of the week!!! :)
  6. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Fairly common in the Chicagoland area, where it runs about $3.50 or so for a 500ml and somewhere around $10 or so for a sixer of 11.2oz-ers.

7. That's just amazing, I knew that it would be more expensive back in the states, but I didn't know it was that much!! I pay less than 20 euros for a rack of 20 half liters!!!!! And that's with the rack and the bottles, both of which have a deposit charge called a pfand...
  8. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Was gonna report this same info -- though I've not seen it in sixers.

Maisel has actually been around a long time in the Midwest -- I believe it's imported by Merchant DuVin.*

Edit -- guess not, based on Domingo's info.
  9. The Total Wine in Durham has it. Somewhere around like $4 for a .5L bottle.
  10. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Yeah, the sixers aren't as prevalent as the half-liters, and the distributors tend to have fewer on-hand during any given season, but they're out there, and a decent value (assuming they haven't hiked the prices back to where they were before they dropped them about a year ago). Tasty weissbier...
    steveh likes this.
  11. Prices have risen from $1.99 per 0.5 l at my local grocer to around $3.50 per 0.5 l in the past two years. Welcome home to the U.S. "craft revolution."
  12. oh, I love it!! I have been in Germany for about 2 years now. Maisel's Weiss is one of several they sell in the shoppet here on base in Vilseck. I have been hooked on it ever since the first time I tried it. I was originally all about the Kristal, but then I realized the original was much better....
    herrburgess likes this.
  13. Well, hopefully I can get a recipe for my home brew down close enough to this beer to make me happy. If not, I did marry a german chick, so there is always the option of trying to get her family to mail me some....
  14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Wait a minute. Are you two the same guy?
  15. damndirtyape

damndirtyape Savant (400) Ohio Apr 19, 2009

I haven't seen this in the states for a very long time - I'm glad it's back as it was one of my favorites. Last time I saw it was SC in '98, and I've not seen it since. If I see it in OH I'll pass along what price I see.
  16. yeah its available here in iowa too, i think its like $9 for a six but not sure. its a damn tasty hefe :D
  17. Total Wine carries it. I picked up a bottle for $2.79 for the 16.9 oz. size.
  18. I have a couple big old Maisels wheat beer glasses I would love to break in with the real stuff !
  19. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

If it's $1 in Germany and $4 in USA, I don't see what you're complaining about...

It isn't so uncommon to see Cantillon go from $10 to $50.
  20. I don't think we are the same guy. I am me and I am pretty sure he is him. If not, then I have a serious problem...
  21. hmm, well the first reason is that I never drank good beer while I was in the states, so I am not use to paying so much money for beer. The second reason is, lets just use tonight for an example, I bought 5 half liter bottles of Maisel's and on half liter of Kulmbacher Mönchshof Schwarzbier for less than 6 euros, and that's with a 15 cent deposit on each bottle! From what I am hearing on this thread that same purchase would prolly cost me at least $24 or around 21 euro. That's a pretty big jump, my friend.....
    herrburgess likes this.
  22. Great weissbier. I've had Maisel's before (years ago in North Carolina), but don't believe I've ever come across it in Northern KY or the Cincinnati area.
  23. 500ml bottle in Alberta is around $3.99, and it's also on draught in some of the better beer bars; draught price is around $7.00 1/2 litre in Edmonton!
  24. Are you guys all aware of the variety that Maisel's Weisse has? There is Maisel's Weisse Original, Maisel's Weisse Kristal, Maisel's Weisse Dunkle, Maisel's Weisse Helles, Maisel's Weisse Light, and even Maisel's Weisse Alkoholfrei!!!
  25. I lived in Erlangen for two years and must say it's hard to find an imported hefeweizen back in the U.S. that's as good as I drank over there. Where I live it's hard to find fresh bottles. I've also been hombrewing for about 10 years and find it's a difficult style to nail. A lot of it has to do with they yeast, and that's a whole can of worms.

Having dealt with the same issues you're facing a few years ago, which are definitely first world problems, I would say your best bet is Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis. It has great flavor and mouthfeel, is readily available, and reasonably priced. They toured Bavaria looking for just the right yeast and chose Gutmann's. It took them a couple of years to get their equipment and process dialed in to get the yeast produce the results they wanted.

Also, I highly recommend the "Brewing with wheat" book.
  26. Cool, thanks for the info:) I have been researching a bit getting ready for my first brew. I have read that Wyeast 3333 German Wheat was a good yeast to use. Some guy said he won a contest with his brew using this. I have heard though, that Hefe is the more forgiving style of beer to brew...
  27. When in America, buy local! There are a bunch of awesome Hefe's made in the USA. This means quality. This means fresh.... if bought properly. Dreamweaver is a perfect example and there are MANY others. Why drink a beer that has sat on a ship for 4 weeks?