1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Major Beer Competitions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mothergoose03, May 8, 2012.

1. I just finished reading the winners list for the World Beer Cup and noticed that many of the high-profile breweries that have won awards in certain categories in prior years did not win again. Yet I see some of these breweries win a medal in another style category so I know there was a presence there by those breweries at the judging. My question is whether breweries purposely don't enter the same style competition by choice so that they can let other breweries have a better chance at glory, or is it more likely that they have entered again and just didn't win a medal this year?

We never know which breweries/beers were entered other than the three winners, but it would be interesting to see the entire list of entrants in each style category. Do brewers like to enter multiple style events if they choose to compete at all, or just a select one or two styles that they feel a good chance for a medal?

2. Kinda off topic but I found it odd that Ballast Point boasts a gold medal for Sculpin while it was entered into the American Pale Ale category and not IPA. Not complaining, I just found it wierd. Can anyone shed light on this?

I also found it a wee-bit shady about 5-7 years ago at the Bistro SINGLE IPA festival in Hayward, Port Brewing entered Hop-15. I didn't find that cool at all being that judging goes on there...

3. Also, only breweries which are represented can win a prize! Most "Champion" beers are just the best of the bunch happening to be entered.

Zimbo likes this.
  4. Since competitions are blind tastings, winners change often. Comps are very expensive to enter. Some brewers enter a bunch of categories, some only a few.
    It's all up to the judges...

yemenmocha likes this.
  5. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Since breweries have zero advertising funds, the competitions and winning a medal are a great way to build cred for their beer. Yes they can be expensive to enter, but if the brewery has the funds, why not enter every year? They also enter the same beer in multiple catagories.

6. justins

justins Aficionado (125) Delaware Oct 24, 2003

Years ago breweries did enter the same beer in multiple catagories, that is no longer allowed.

7. If you blind-rated 20 IPA's today, then rated the same 20 beers next year, either through batch differences, palette differences or a combination of the two, you will have vastly different lists.

beertunes likes this.
  8. knucks999

knucks999 Aficionado (180) Colorado Sep 30, 2008

I've never seen a competition where you can enter the same beer in multiple categories, and know for a fact that it is illegal at the WBC and gabf. Now entering a fresh beer in category X and a vintage version of said beer in the Aged beer category is okay, but must have a year in the title of the beer name to differentiate it.

9. BrewDogRocks

BrewDogRocks Aficionado (140) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Hello. My problem with the World Beer Cup, GABF and all those awards is that it's now like sports for young kids. Everybody gets a trophy. There are just simply too many categories, it waters down the appeal and value of the prize in my opinion. They may as well start making categories like "Best Beer To Be Drank On A Tuesday Afternoon In New York City At 47th And Broadway".........

KAF, Zimbo, yemenmocha and 1 other person like this.
  10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

+1

Unfortunately, winning medals doesn't mean as much as people make it out to be. You have to have the $ to enter at all, and ones with deep pockets take a shotgun approach and enter the same beer in multiple categories if it is possible, and enter quite a few beers in their lineup - hoping to win something.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  11. yemenmocha

Yep.

I think it's little more than a roundabout marketing machine. Pay big bucks to enter, chance to "win", then if you "win" you can advertise that "win" for your products.

12. justins

justins Aficionado (125) Delaware Oct 24, 2003

You have to be a cash-poor brewery to not enter, it really doesn't cost that much, trust me. Your talking about 100's of dollars not thousands. Not to mention that the rules specifically prohibit cross-catagory entries.

13. yemenmocha

For the GABF? I thought it was like $480 to have just 1-2 served on the floor, and nearly $900 per beer for judging.

I just thought that was a lot, especially when you see some brewers winning a small handful of medals, and serving quite a few on the floor.

14. MacNCheese

15. Breweries actually pay to be in an exhibition?We buy our beers through normal channels and all beers are automatically considered for awards.

16. yemenmocha

17. KAF

KAF Advocate (600) Iowa Jun 22, 2007

I agree 100% with the OP. I wish there was a way to see all of the brewers that entered a specific category. I want to know if IPA A which won the gold medal had to compete with what I consider to be my top IPA or the top IPA according to this site. Kudos to brewers for winning, but how are people to put value on this if you do not know the pool of competition which the beat out?

18. World Beer Cup, GABF and European Beer Star all only award three medals(or less) per category. The stats on the 2012 WBC was that only 7% of beers entered took medals. 3996 beers entered into 95 categories by 816 breweries from 85 countries. Everyone doesn't get a medal...

19. I think breweries that didn't medal would rather not have it known they 'lost'.

20. MacNCheese

That would be useful info, then you could go to your favorite brewery and say "Enter, you'll win!"

21. KAF

KAF Advocate (600) Iowa Jun 22, 2007

That is a good point, never thought of it from the brewers perspective.

22. AlcoholProfessor

AlcoholProfessor Initiate (20) Jan 1, 2013

I would like to add my two cents if possible. I run the New York International Beer Competition as well as the New York International Wine Competition and New York International Spirits Competitions

A couple of things with our competition
    -A beer is only entered into one category not multiple ones
    - I hate 3rd Grade soccer competitions where over 80% win a medal. On average less than 50% in all of our beer, spirits and wine competitions win a medal
    -We do not post all those who submit as it is still a subjective process. A great beer can have a bad day
    -All of our judges are real trade buyers. They buy beer for their bar, restaurant, distribution and import company.
    -The judges blind taste the beer by its category and actual price. So they will know if that IPA is $8.99 or $9.99 for a six pack.
    - We believe we provide the most real world judging out there for an experienced trade buyer may not like what they are tasting but will know if it will sell and at what price. At the same time they may love a beer but know that at that price the beer will not sell.

Thanks for letting me add my two cents

Cheers
    Adam

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  23. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I recently saw the entry requirements for your competition, and with all respect, I have issues with it. It seems to me that your event is just a way for brewers to reach retailers. A necessary step for sure. But with the vast majority of American breweries being small, local/near regional in my view, there doesn't seem to be a lot of reason for that type of business to enter your event. Again, I'm not running down your event, or saying that there's not a place for it. It's just that with GABF, WBC, and NABA, how many of these "competitions" are needed? Cheers, and I hope your event is a huge success.

Mothergoose03 likes this.