1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Making it to Friday.....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VitoFerrante, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Am I the only certified beer geek that tries like crazy to make it to Friday before enjoying the beers you bought from the week? I for one have Palate Wrecker, Broo Doo (3 Floyds, thank you very much), and some Heady for this weekend. Oh, and some Hop Stoopid!!! I am a runner and find that weekend craft beer binge drinking works best for my health!

chase2634, 4kbrianb, MilkManX and 4 others like this.
  2. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Oh, I definitely TRY.....

ggfunk and Mgm54 like this.
  3. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I do the same thing, buy things during the week but don't dig into them until the weekend. I watch my caloric intake plus work out so I typically don't bust the plan until the weekend. Sometimes, like last night, I will have a beer mid week but for the most part, weekend boozing is the deal.

4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

But, slow and steady wins the race.

5. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I grab one from the stash and put it in the chiller in the morning. Sometimes random, sometimes I think about it. Then I can think about looking forward to it during the day. Weekends...varies. Sometimes (gasp) none. Depends on what is going on. Often times the weekend is when I shop.

6. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

I tried to limit myself to weekend drinking for the longest time, then gave up for a while and would grab a beer or two on random weekday nights whenever I felt like. I recently got back into holding off until the weekend and, honestly, those Friday night beers taste twice as good as they used to.

skinsfan, Pando and JxExM like this.
  7. So glad I found this thread on this topic! I am the exact same way. I'm conscious about my health and try to eat right and exercise during the week and then do the majority of my drinking on the weekend. It's really cool to hear about other people doing the same thing! :)

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I already have way more beer than I can comfortably drink, if I waited till the weekend to drink my problem would be even worse. So as it stands I'll usually have a beer or two every evening unless life gets in the way.

9. I visit the local beer store on Friday and stock up for the weekend. So I usually cant wait for Friday to get here!!

10. It sucks cuz the place I get my beer from gets deliveries on Tuesdays. So, I usually buy my beer on Tuesday and then have to wait until Friday to drink it. It sucks so bad! haha

mrzazz likes this.
  11. If I buy a new beer I'll usually have one that night with dinner (assuming it's a 4/6 pack). If it's a bomber then it's probably a special beer so I'll put it in the cellar and hold off drinking it until I'm in the mood for a cellar offering (which is usually on a weekend, so my selection could be it or something else).

12. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I usually buy on Thursdays to avoid the Friday rush. Thursday night I decide what to put on ice for Friday/Saturday and that stuff is nice and cold as soon as I arrive home.

13. I tend to stock up midweek (local shop get deliveries on Wednesdays). In the colder months I do my best to stick to the weekends for enjoying my purchases since I'm less active. During the summer, when I'm biking 100miles+ a week, all bets are off

14. I've been doing this for some time now (not counting vacations), and I found it gets easier the more I get used to it. Agree that it makes the weekends something more special.

15. Everything you just said is true for me, right down to the beer last night.

16. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

This thread rocks, as I'm struggling right now with the same thing. The holidays were bad for me ( or good in that I drank a lot) but now I'm trying to improve my health a bit. I try to limit myself to 1 weekday night and 1 weekend night, but its so tough when my fridge is full of delicious offerings!

17. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I do not wait until the weekend. I drink pretty much the same thing on a Tuesday as I would on a Saturday.

18. I'll typically hold off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Have a couple at Trivia on Thursday. And I very much look forward to my post-work browsing/shopping sessions on Friday. Followed by a post-work, post-browsing drinking session.

JxExM likes this.
  19. I always do this! to help save money, And because I workout a lot during the week. Also this week I have some help. The Brewery I was going to head to for some beer is roughly a half hour away but thousands of ft higher in elevation, and its snowing 3 inches here.......Not sure what they're getting but i'm to lazy to chain up my SUV

20. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I'm in the same exact boat... including caving in to having a beer last night, haha.

Hawkharvs likes this.
  21. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Fuck that; I drink beer almost every night. Amen.

22. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I'm a runner too, and eat and drink with some measure of health consciousness, as well. But, I generally drink the same amount on weeknights as on weekends—one, maybe two beers, or a beer and a glass of wine. Most of the year it's just one beer a night, six or seven days a week, and maybe two or three every once in a while.

Nice to know there are some other runners around! Honestly I wonder sometimes if I'm just the odd guy out when everyone else on LNBA's working through sixers or drinking two or three bombers in a night. I can't do that shit. But that said, I am PERFECTLY happy with the amount that I do(n't) drink.

23. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

You are not alone. I try to limit during the week drinking. I recently bought a case of two week old Flower Power. Probably more than I can drink in a reasonable amount of time. But given how hard it is to get fresh IPA in general, I couldnt resist. But this stuff falls of quick, I feel every night i should be drinking some, but resisting it. But tomorrow night the floodgates will open.

24. No waiting for me. I have one or two everyday of the week. On the weekend (Thursday - Sunday) it is usually more:)

25. I'm a runner - taking a forced break right now - and was running about 50+ miles per week at this time last year. I was doing daily workouts on my own as well as coaching indoor track (xc in the fall, indoor in the winter, outdoor in the summer). I tended to drink 2-3 beers a day at that time, as well. While probably not the healthiest choice, I needed to supplement my caloric intake, and I chose beer to be that supplement. Now I'm on a break and I still have 1-2 a day, but I definitely feel sluggish. I need to heal and I need to cut back.

fmccormi likes this.
  26. THIS...but, lately I've been thinking more and more about giving up on my healthy lifestyle, I'm gonna die anyway...

27. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i dont really drink anything during the week anymore so this is typically what i do, although i'll usually do my shopping on fridays or over the weekend.

28. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Haha!

I struggle - try and wait to BINGE ( the healthiest way ) on the weekend. My workout motivation is affected greatly if I drink during the week so I try and stay clean.

29. In on that at least one beer a night club...cant remember a day I didnt have at least one. Friday and saturday though...my inner recent college grade mentality comes out and I lose track.

Getting back into working out and running on a more serious note, so lets see if I tone it down the next few months.

30. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Yes. I try to keep to to Fri-Sun nights and the occasional Mon night(gaming night with friends), mostly due to calories since I am workout fiend.

There are weeks though where work gets me and I crack a couple during the week.

31. I tend to have a beer or two during the weekday evenings but I also run in the morning, so I guess both actions kind of cancel each other out. On the weekends, it's pretty rare that I have more than three beers in one sitting, unless I'm with friends. I also tend to save bombers for the weekend. On the health note, having a beer a day could prove to be beneficial. Check out this article: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/10-surprising-health-benefits-beer

32. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I'll do this sporadically when I want to cut some weight. Currently I'm in one of those cycles. A single beer on Friday nights is all I'm consuming before going to Florida in March for Hunahpu's day. That way I can strut confidently on the beach and work on my tan. I equate it to food. Sure it's fun to be glutinous for the holidays, but making a lifestyle out of being a fatass just isn't for me. As for sticking to it I don't really have a hard time.

fmccormi likes this.
  33. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Too many beers on my want list to wait for the weekend.

dcloeren likes this.
  34. Yup, its hard.

35. Having a beer during the week is a real treat. Going out for a couple beers is even better and makes the week feel like it goes by faster.

36. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Friday?!? I just have trouble making it to 6:00 weeknights.

dcloeren and bryanole27 like this.
  37. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

12oz beers M-Th
    Friday its go time. Either 750 or a great 22oz.

Cheers!

38. Personally, it's more like making it to Wednesday ;)

39. I am a drinker and find that running gives me less time to drink.

40. Thursday is my make it to day and when my weekend starts.