1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Making it to Friday.....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VitoFerrante, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I, too am a weekend drinker and as others have said, the first Friday beer is always incredible, especially if it's one of my favorites. My big problem is that since I haven't had a beer all week, I tend to overdo it on Friday either by drinking too many or drinking too fast. I've tried to stifle myself, but it isn't easy.

2. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Well put. Echoes my basic feelings—it'd be fun to drink more, just like it'd be fun to eat more cookies. But in the end, I'd like to maximize my overall health for the longest period of time possible, so I drink and I eat cookies, but in serious moderation.

hopsbreath and JxExM like this.
  3. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'm definitely a major light weight compared to most of you, but I really enjoy having a beer, or if I want to get crazy, two on the weekend nights. I look forward to it. I tend to socialize more on weekends and just have more free time (instead of the weekday grind of work, workout, make a quick dinner.) I can really focus on that particular beer. I've never been one to down 3 or 4 in a row, but I do enjoy the hell out of the one in the glass that's in front of me.

fmccormi likes this.
  4. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

life is too short to only drink beer on the weekends

dcloeren likes this.
  5. Curry

Curry Aficionado (190) Montana Apr 10, 2003

I'll have to agree with Sam. I have a beer or two pretty much whenever I want to.

6. I just drink twice a week. You know the rest of the joke . . .

7. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (215) Florida May 28, 2009

i usually only drink on the weekends anyhow....sometimes, rarely i'll crack 1 during the week. i've slowed down quite a bit....i used to drink 2 every night after work.

8. And if there is Football, college basketball or baseball on Monday night than the weekend doesn't end till Tuesday.

I guess I can get through that kind of week

9. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

For me, its like waiting till lunch time. Just kidding, but seriously...

10. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (460) Texas Sep 15, 2010

I have way too much beer to only drink on the weekends... plus I really like to enjoy one after work every day. Life is too short to not enjoy all of this beer... daily;)

Sam_Frank likes this.
  11. Very true. So that leaves Wednesday as the only real week day. They really make it tough on us!!!

12. Nope, I drink all week long and have the gut to prove it.

13. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

Amen! Here's how I look at it.
    [​IMG]

14. I try to limit to 2 during the week (mon-thurs) something like less than 7%. Friday is when I go for the bombers, etc.

Got a 2011 Serpents Stout waiting for me tomorrow :)

15. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I am the same way! I'm a runner too but I do enjoy some beer throughout the week. I found if I didn't I would almost binge on beer during the weekends. I treat beer like food, if I limit myself too severely i'll eventually crave it and then I'll have too much. Call this a bit philisophical but I recently realized I was also living for the weekends, and I really wanted to make each day special and equal. So food, beer, treats, excersise I spread out to the entire week.

If I totally hated my job.. Yeah I would celebrate the weekends like never before.

audioserf likes this.
  16. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

it's tough. real tough. I have a routine if you would like to show interest. . . buy ALL your beer on Thursday.

17. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

You're doing it wrong.

18. Kelp

Kelp Advocate (520) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

Try is a good way to put it, all depends on how bad work went the night before. Usually though Fri is my day to start having a few beers from the weeks purchases.

19. Try making it to June!

20. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

It's Friday! Happy beers to eveyone who waits for the weekend!

21. I never looked at beer that way. Another excuse! [as if I needed one]

22. For a long time, I would only drink on Fridays and Saturdays. I lift weights and run five or six days a week, and try to watch what I eat. I'll say this, the weeknight beers definitely add up. I was in better shape when I only drank on weekends, but I really enjoy beer, so I have a hard time avoiding it during the week. I'll have one or two beers pretty much every night. If I cut that out, I'd probably be able to drop ten pounds in short order, but I dunno that it's worth it for me.

23. DruRho

DruRho Initiate (0) Maryland Sep 3, 2012

Why not treat yourself to a delicious craft beer every night with or after dinner?
    It's what I do. It's not a problem as long as it's good beer...

audioserf likes this.
  24. I run on average 15 miles per week (not sure if that certifies me as a "runner") and lift weights 4 days a week.

I'm also married, so I drink a beer or two every night.

25. It's Friday! Now just to make it to the afternoon before poppin bombahs!

26. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

I feel this way every Thursday. I never make it.