Malting Company of Ireland

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Brew_Betty, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

2. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

I still do, and like it for my malty, less hoppy beers as well as for some of the historic recipes from Ron Pattinson's book. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any recipe calling for pale malt.

3. DunkelFester

DunkelFester Zealot (571) Aug 24, 2004 Pennsylvania

I've used their Irish Stout malt before. Nice malt from what I recall. Plump kernels, nice yield. Worked well as a base malt for its namesake style as well as anything else I used it in. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again, but my LHS only stocks it occasionally.

4. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

It's a girl's malt ... right?
    "Azalea" barley.

5. Brew_Betty

I suppose that is one of the reasons I want to try it. It's a different breed of barley than usual. Bred in France. Grown in Ireland. Costs less than the British malts. I'm pretty sure it will make beer.

6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Sadly, most new varieties are grown for their resistance to disease, yield per acre, etc. and not their flavor. I am a sucker for new barley varieties also. Just bought a sack of Full Pint from GW and brewed an IPA with ~82% and very limited caramel...we'll see.

7. Brew_Betty

Ok, it's official. Irish Ale malt is my new favorite multi purpose base malt and I'm not even Irish. The only thing I don't like about it is the need to adjust the mill gap. The kernels are extra fat so they won't pass through the mill with my standard setting.

It has less character than Euro Pilsner. It has more character than American Pale. It finishes less sweet than Marris Otter with a similar amount of malt character. The OG extract was the highest of any malt I've used.

bgjohnston and DunkelFester like this.
  8. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

9. Brew_Betty

I don't know. The crush was larger than normal. I was anticipating a lackluster extract from the coarse crush. I used a software setting for a reliable American malt and the Irish malt overshot the predicted OG by 3 points. The volume was correct.

10. GormBrewhouse

Pooh-Bah Society

11. GreenKrusty101

Admittedly, I have been drinking, but that doesn't make any sense.

NiceFly likes this.
  12. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

I also do better than I would with American 2-row or pilsner malt, similar to what I see from Golden Promise.

13. Brew_Betty

Maybe it will make sense when you aren't drunk?

14. GreenKrusty101

No, not really... if by "American Pale", you mean a typical American Pale Ale malt with a lovibond rating of ~2.8-3.0 and a typical "Euro Pilsner" malt of ~ 1.5-2.0 * L. I suppose it also depends on what you mean by "character", but most brewers are going to add something...usually Vienna or Munich malts (higher *L) to Pils if they want more "character", imho

15. Hanglow

Hanglow Pooh-Bah (1,977) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

I've got 5kg of that too. Not sure what to make with it, although it will by made with WY1332 .

16. Brew_Betty

Euro Pilsner has more character than American pale. Character means distinguishable characteristics of flavor and aroma. American Pale is less aromatic, has less flavor and has a less distinctive character than Irish Ale malt.

17. GormBrewhouse

Pooh-Bah Society

@Brew_Betty how is the cost compared to other base malts?

18. Brew_Betty

I paid $14.79 for 10# of Irish Ale. Less than Marris. $2.50 more than American Pale.

19. Hanglow

Hanglow Pooh-Bah (1,977) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

I paid $7.62 equivalent for 11# :stuck_out_tongue:

Got to love the weak euro

20. GreenKrusty101

I am confused, sounds like Euro Pilsner should be your base malt of choice. Specifically, What character does Euro Pilsner malt possess that makes it superior to more highly kilned base malts, iyho?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.