1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Man with a sweet tooth needs sweet beers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Crosis, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Crosis

Crosis Aspirant (45) Arizona Apr 1, 2013

As the title suggests I would like to try some sweet beers. I've had Blue Moon and Shock-top but they're still too bitter for my tastes I can't get past it. I'd like to have beer that I don't have to choke down due to my allure to sweet flavors. I've been looking at this site for awhile and I've been reading up on some of the sweet beers that have been mentioned, but it seems most of them aren't anywhere near where I happen to live. I'm in the Southwest and I was hoping people from my region would be able to point me in the right direction of some sweet beers that I could try so I can finally find a beer or two I can relax and enjoy after a hard day at work. Any suggestions would be absolutely amazing.
  2. If Southern Tier distributes in your area pick a up a bottle of their Creme Brulee. It's very, very sweet.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Seekabrew shows Arizona not getting Southern Tier. There goes my answer.
  4. Lindeman's Peche
    Pyramid Apricot Ale might be a good one also.
    CollegeSauce likes this.
  5. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

6. This or any milk stouts.
  7. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

^^^^
    What he said.
    Also Southern Tier's Choklat or Mokah should more than satisfy your sweet tooth. It's all great stuff!
  8. They aren't necessarily sweet but I recommend that you try a traditional Hefeweizen, I think you will like it more than Shock Top and Blue Moon. Brands that are widely available are Paulener Hefe, Franziskaner, Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss, Hacker Pschorr Weiss, and Weihenstephaner. You are going to get some banana and clove flavor and they should seem a little less bitter to you.

I have had lots of success giving these to people who either didn't like beer at all or thought they only like Bud/Miller etc.

As far as sweeter beers, people are going to mention lots of barley wines, and chocolaty stouts, but those are liekly a whole different species than most of the beers you have tried.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/89

Also you could try Magic Hat #9, it is widely available, refreshing and has a fruity flavor to it. My girlfriend loves it.
  9. There are some milk stouts & porters as well as some specialty stuff like Frangelic Mountain Brown, Creme Brûlée etc. I promise I'm not trying to be a dick here, but why not look to cider instead? Otherwise you could try some Lindenmans fruit beers
  10. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Ditto on previous mentions. And, try Samichlaus and/or Lee's Harvest Ale. Both pretty sweet but still pack a punch and will leave you feeling damn good.
    elgiacomo and ChanChan like this.
  11. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

this may not be the best beer in the world, but it also isnt the worst. can actually be really enjoyable if you let it warm to the right temperature. If sam adams is distributed where you are (which id be suprised if its not) try their Imperial White. It dosnt have the best reviews on here, but it is very, very sweet but still has a good kick to it.
  12. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

They no longer make Mokah:(
  13. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

If you can't get Southern Tier Choklat in your area, your local grocery store should carry something equivalent called "Swiss Miss." They even have one kind that has mini marshmallows.
    seeswo, JG-90, 5thOhio and 10 others like this.
  14. odell's lugene and rogue's chocolate stout would be great starting points for you.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  15. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Any Southern Tier Blackwater series beer.

Almost any English Barleywine.

Any Lindemann's lambic.

Any milk/cream/sweet stout.

Probably some good starting points there.

Dope
    sirtomtom likes this.
  16. TallSaint

TallSaint Savant (325) New York Dec 10, 2010

I had an Oskar Blues Ten Fidy the other night for the first time and it was the sweetest stout I've had and it was majestic. Definitely give it a try if you can find it, it will satisfy your sweet tooth.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28907/34483
    Kerrie likes this.
  17. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

Ctrl + F "Bruery"

No results found.

Hm. :-/
  18. Scotch ale
  19. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

JW Lees Harvest Ale and de Molen Bommen and Granaten are two of the sweetest beers I've ever had. Honorable mention to the Southern Tier Blackwater Series.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  20. Try to find something Belgian. They tend to be on the "sweeter" side, or at least not bitter. Think Blue Moon without any of the grassy/earthy flavors.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  21. FreshHawk

FreshHawk Advocate (510) Illinois Nov 24, 2009

22. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

tbryan5 likes this.
  23. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I thought most pumpkin ales I have tried were really really sweet.
    cnbrown313 and tronester like this.
  24. Are you looking for something that's still refreshing and drinkable but just a bit sweeter that what you have had? Or are you looking for basically dessert in a bottle... something really sweet, and high in alcohol content?
  25. Anything by The Bruery. Just had Melange No. 3 last night for Easter, and damn it was sweet. I've had many others from them, and they are almost always sweet it seems.
  26. St. Louis Framboise (or any framboise for that matter). It's candy in a glass.
  27. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate is stout is very sweet. It's like chocolate milk.
  28. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

First of all do you want a lighter beer or can you stand something pretty alcoholic?
  29. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Any of the Samuel Smith's fruit beers. Strawberry is my favorite and probably the sweetest, but the raspberry, cherry and apricot are good too. Also, any kriek lambic.
    ufmj likes this.
  30. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Young's Chocolate Stout also comes to mind..
  31. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I agree, especially if you are looking for a beer that isn't necessarily a desert in a glass. My favorite is St. Bernardus Prior 8.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1855
    devlishdamsel and alysmith4 like this.
  32. Already mentioned but I'll reiterate. Samiclaus, both Classic and Helles
  33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Dieu de Ciel Aphrodisiaque
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  34. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (515) California Sep 13, 2009

North Coast Old Stock Ale or any BSDA or Quad.
    tronester likes this.
  35. Creme Brulee, MZ, and Dark Lord come to mind. I can't even drink them they are so sweet.
  36. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Alaskan Troppelbock.
  37. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Any Lindeman's or St Louis fruit lambics will do you well. If Lindeman's Framboise came in a can all my summer drinking would be covered
  38. Two words: English Barleywines