1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Man with a sweet tooth needs sweet beers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Crosis, Apr 1, 2013.

1. No one has mentioned Avery's Uncle Jacob's yet. Incredibly sweet at that ABV. Definitely in the same realm as Dark Lord and still on the shelf in some places.
  2. Barleywines
    Chocolate Stouts
    Barrel Aged Stouts
    Belgian Quads

All have high ABV, but almost all are quite sweet as well.
  3. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

It's worth it. St. Bernardus is one of the beers that got me into craft.
    fullmetal1381 likes this.
  4. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Any doppelbock should do.
  5. Don't drink beer.
    Premo88, Crusader and jesskidden like this.
  6. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (540) California Jan 23, 2013

Victory at Sea from Ballast Point. Very good vanilla imperial porter, but too sweet for me.
  7. fact: you will not find a sweeter beer than Sweet Horizon
  8. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

dark lord
    new glarus: raspberry tart, serendipity, wisconsin red

cannot go wrong with any of these
  9. Trade Winds is pretty far from being sweet.
  10. Ever think of giving hard cider a try instead?
  11. How about a natural light and a kit kat bar.
  12. Agree, was so sweet I had to Drain Pour it. I don't like things to sweet.
  13. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

Kasteel Rouge.

Come on back after you've given a few of these a whirl and give us your thoughts, too!
  14. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (530) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Great Divide Old Ruffian is pretty sweet, especially with some age on it.
  15. CollegeSauce

CollegeSauce Disciple (65) Oregon Nov 17, 2011

^ yes on the English barleywines. Also i think it might have been mentioned on here earlier up, but Pyramid Apricot Ale is a good beer for people who dont quite like the "beer" flavor. Its the only beer my GF likes and she has much the same sort of palate as you do it sounds like.
  16. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Jewbelation Sweet 16.
  17. Crosis

Crosis Aspirant (45) Arizona Apr 1, 2013

Everyone keeps mentioning this Dark Lord beer. I looked em up and they only sell it like once a year in IL, with restrictions on reselling that beer. How am I supposed to get my hands on something as delicious as that?
  18. zid

zid Savant (380) New York Feb 15, 2010

You'd be putting the cart before the horse if you bothered to try. Take note of the styles of beers that are being recommended, do some research to find the best bottle shop in your area, buy some of these styles and explore them one-at-a-time til something clicks. If you had to "choke down" blue moon, don't go hog wild until you know your likes better - or you'll end up choking down much pricier stuff. It would suck if the beer that satisfied your sweet tooth was only available in Vermont during a full moon. That's not a good solution. The poster who said "scotch ale" gave a good suggestion - don't let it get drowned out by all the more interesting ones. Grab an Innis & Gunn if you see one. They are everywhere in my neck of the woods.
    Crosis and alysmith4 like this.
  19. Crosis

Your advice I will take it. Off to research and savor some beers, I found a local Liquor store that has a decent variety of craft beers and such so I'm gonna have a look tomorrow and hopefully an enjoyable weekend.
  20. Crosis

I'd say something on the light to middle end I'd like to have a good few like 3-7 before getting on the far end of too happy.
  21. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Lakewood's The Temptress is teaching me that the American Imperial Milk Stout can be VERY sweet ... damn is it good
  22. zid

zid Savant (380) New York Feb 15, 2010

If you can find a shop that sells singles and not just full 6 packs, I would recommend buying like that.
    mecummins likes this.
  23. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I find DFH 120 to be very sweet.
  24. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Sam Smiths Organic Chocolate stout is the sweetest thing I've ever had
  25. Crosis

Well luckily for me I'm off to Phoenix this evening to pickup my youngest brother for a home visit. Which is great since I live in a small town with poor selection. I really hope I can find some Scotch Ales or Barley Wines and Lambics while I'm up there. I'm also gonna pray to run into a Southern Tier bottle or 2 but I doubt it, I did however make a huge list of beers and places to check out for these beers. I have to thank all of you that helped contribute to my list of imbibing beverages over these last few days. Hopefully I'll have a good report this weekend for all of you.

So many beers, so little time.