1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Manchester, NH

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Crackerroll, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Member

Hello BAs....I will be in Manchester, NH for a meeting on Friday and will probably have some time to get out for a beer on Thursday night. Will be staying downtown. Where should I go??? Thanks!! Cheers.
  2. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie Member

There's Strange Brew, Milly's, and a British Beer Company. I think Strange Brew is closest to downtown
  3. grumpy

grumpy Member

A serious comment here (and I'm a Mizzou alum and like your avatar) - I wouldn't be surprised to see the MU athletic department take you to task over a presumably unlicensed use of that logo, given the way they do business.

To keep the post beer-related, I agree with the 3 options above. Beware that Strange Brew can be insanely crowded.
  4. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie Member

There's also Black Brimmer and Shaskeen, but the best beer selection will probably be Strange Brew. Although I'd check out the brewpub. The Brewpub in Nashua, NH called Martha's Exchange has some pretty good beer for a small local pub. Sometimes they're not so great but on the whole its fresh and clean and easy drinkin', so I'm sure up in Manchvegas its similar.
  5. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Member

There was a thread about the Manchester area a few months back, and you can browse through it for some more in-depth ideas if you like.

The Strange Brew cannot be beat in the area in terms of the length of their tap offerings, and they've been improving (finally adding some Moat Mountain taps, offering a couple White Birch taps, and so on). It can get packed in there (and loud if there's a band playing), but it's a nice, homey spot with plenty of different spaces. The food is pretty good as far as pub fare goes, and it's right downtown.

Also downtown is Firefly, a bit more of an upscale restaurant and bar, with a nice vibe and a good (but much shorter) tap list. They tend to have a good range of beer from smaller local breweries--White Birch, Throwback, and so on. The food is very good, but definitely more expensive than the Brew.

There are a handful of other good bars downtown, but those two tend to have the best tap offerings. The Farm is a bit of a barbecue joint with pretty solid food, a very nice space and an okay tap list. The Wild Rover has a very welcoming, neighborhood feel inside, and the food tends to be very good for pub fare, but the tap list isn't great (there's still some good beer on there).

Milly's Tavern, Manchester's only brewpub, is in the Millyard right near downtown, but it can be hit or miss. Some of the beers are quite good, others less so. And the vibe can be all over the place, depending on the night and the crowd. I'd check their website or call to make sure it's not college night, a metal band show or something, unless of course you like those things--then you're set. I'd also start with the John Stark Porter or Manch-Vegas IPA, as those tend to be solid, and the other beers can be hit or miss, but last time I was in the beers were all in good shape.

It's not as much of a beer bar, but Republic is an excellent restaurant--maybe the best in the city--right on Elm St downtown. It's very laid-back and they usually have some good things on-tap and in bottles, including locals like Smuttynose, White Birch and Tuckerman.

Farther out from downtown is the River Road Tavern, just down the road in Bedford, about 2 miles from downtown Manchester. More than anywhere else in the Manchester area (perhaps excluding the Strange Brew and British Beer Company), I think it's really striving to be primarily a good beer bar. The selection isn't nearly as extensive a Strange Brew, but it's very well-selected and ever changing. I like the vibe and space of the place--sort of a New England roadhouse--and the menu is limited, but very good.

The British Beer Company is also a few miles from downtown, in a very uninteresting part of town unfortunately, out by the malls on South Willow Street. But it's nice inside, the food is solid, and the beer list is very good.

Depending on what time you get in, I'd also recommend checking out White Birch Brewing, just up the road from Manchester in Hooksett. You can get a growler if you like, or just do a sampling and pick up a bottle or two if you like. The guys there are very friendly.

Enjoy the Queen City!
  6. Kinsman

Kinsman Member

Typical FrankLlordMike response. Gotta love it. Do you just save your response or do you type up a new one each time?
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  7. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Member

Haha. I usually just search whatever the topic it is, cut and paste, and edit as needed. That's what I did for this above. I love New Hampshire and I love beer, so I'm happy to talk about it whenever the two intersect!