Marble Brewing (Manchester)

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by BedetheVenerable, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Got an email from a semi-local (2.5 hrs away, in St. Louis, Missouri) craft beer store that they'd gotten 6 bottles each of several beers from Marble Brewing in Manchester, and they were taking reserve orders. I noticed that one was an old ale (Old Manchester Ale), a style I love, and so (esp. when the owner mentioned that only around 200 bottles made it stateside) I figured I'd give it a try for my beer blog/own personal enjoyment. Anyone familiar with this brewery or could tell me anything about it? Their website doesn't seem to have too much. I was just curious if it's well-known over on your side o' the pond, or if it's something made primarily for the export market. At any rate, I love English real ale, so I'm excited to give it a try!

2. Marble is the prime moving force for real ale in Manchester having had the esteemed Brendan Dobbin associated with its roots also.
    All their beers are not only organic but vegetarian and they are forever experimenting with different versions of their brews.

The Marble Arch pub is one of the best pubs in the country and has been the number one spot for drinking real ale for over twenty years in Manchester) however it is a very micro microbrewery
    If they were a band it would be the Chameleons (Holt's being the Smiths and John willy lees being Oasis)
    The beer is exceptionally good and with all their beers being bottle conditioned the translation works fairly well.

Of course the cask versions are so much better, however they do use one strain of yeast so even though the beers are of a very high standard, this does make them a little samey.

3. They're available in bottles where I live, so I don't think the brewery focusses on export. I've only had one so far, Dobber, which was an excellent IPA. By reputation Marble produces quality beer.

4. I picked up a bottle of the Old Manchester Ale 4 or 5 months ago.
    It's (from memory) a 7% ABV jobbie in a 750ml bottle with a cork.
    Wasn't cheap either, £7ish I recall.
    Still in the outhouse waiting for the right drinking occasion to arise so I can share it out.
    What is the cost of this in the US Bede?

5. That is the main gripe with Marble, it's not cheap
    A bottle of the main line normal abv beers go for about £3.50 from their own outlet.
    A burger (though gourmet) at their pub is about £15.

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Wine and Cheese Place?

7. The Imperial Stout and Barleywine were a dollar or two more, but the Old Manchester 750ml bottle here is going for $15.99 USD I think. Can't wait to go pick it up!

8. Yup!

9. Bitterbill

:)

I've ordered from them in the past and I highly recommend them. Hmm..I thought I was on their mailing list. I would have been interested in getting beers from Marble. Like you, I dig brews from the UK; that's why I hang around this forum.

10. Old Manchester is their collaboration with John Keeling.
    If you don't know who John Keeling is you know very little about British beer

11. That's actually about all I knew about the beer. Quite honestly, the Fuller's connection was about a third of what drew me to this beer (the other 2/3 being my love of English Old Ales and small regional English breweries).

12. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Classic.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  13. Quality beers. Not afraid of being bold for the 75cl specials. I've had happy afternoons bottling with them. Always worth a punt.

14. How does this work? Or do vegetarians not mind ingesting innocent yeast?

EmperorBevis and Bitterbill like this.
  15. Bitterbill

I'm a bit stupified myself. Vegetarian?

16. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Many finings contain animal products. I suppose yeast might count for the most ardent.

17. Bitterbill

So their beers are hazy/cloudy? That wouldn't turn me off.:)

18. I think this probably applies to finings (esp. isinglass, which is made from the float bladders of sturgeon, I think) which are generally used in the cask. I'm not sure if these would be used for bottled beers as well though, prior to bottling.

19. No, there are some alternatives to finings to making beer clear but they are generally a lot more time consuming or expensive than fish guts so it is most common to use these as opposed to making beer without them, Marble however do use alternatives so just to be clear

MARBLE BEERS ARE CRYSTAL CLEAR AND NOT A SLIGHTEST BIT HAZY
    apart from their cloudy wheat beers ;)

20. I think that if vegetarians objected to ingesting yeast
    They would have to have their own white blood cells removed
    In case they viciously murdered any bacteria or viruses in their systems lol

21. bastard hypocrites murdering innocent yeast