March 2013 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by allouez86, Mar 6, 2013.

1. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

garymuchow likes this.
  2. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

I'll contribute Lagunitas Old Gnarlywine '11. This beer, I feel, has benefited from aging. Hops have become a distant memory and the alcohol graininess that was present when fresh has rounded into a finer drinking beer. Huge caramel, leather, slight oxidation are some of the primary flavors. Still carbonated and has a good nose on it too boot. I may hold onto my last '11 for one more year to see where it goes but I do think that it is drinking rather well right now. Not bad for the $3.50 I spent on it.

garymuchow and Dizbro21 like this.
  3. brewbicle

brewbicle Zealot (80) Minnesota Mar 29, 2011

Opened a few things this month already but will limit my reply to SN Bigfoot. Opened a '10, '11, '13 recently and was pleased with the direction it is going. I will put forward the disclaimer that I tend to gravitate towards English style barleywines as I don't think the aggressive hopping the American style tends towards, allows the complex malt flavors really come to light. For that reason I favored the '10.

It took until the '10 for the hops to take a back seat, they were detectable but not overwhelming in the '11 and the '13 was very hop forward. The '10 had developed into sweet caramel and toffee goodness, with some light fruit flavors. It still had a good amount of carbonation and no detectable oxidation. I enjoyed it and look forward to going longer with the '10s I have left.

garymuchow likes this.
  4. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

2005 Raisin d'Extra. I've had this thing for far too long.

Slightest hiss when the cap comes off. Pours a deep mahogany, very still. Smells strongly of very sweet, mashed raisins and prunes. Little bit of metallic on the nose as well. Flavors are extremely sweet dark fruits at first, then they turn into a strong licorice. Like a red/black licorice hybrid....red at first, then melds with black, then black with a ton of sugar on the finish. Not really any alcohol, just licorice. Very thick mouthfeel.

I can honestly say I don't know what to expect if I run across another of these in 5 years. I'm glad I got to it now, I think.

3/3/4/5/4

garymuchow likes this.
  5. CaseyB23

CaseyB23 Disciple (70) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

I drank a Firestone Walker XV last week, and I thought it was delicious. It didn't have very much heat when it was fresh, but it's all gone now. Very rich & boozy. I have a few more bottles, but I am thinking that it can't get much better than it is now.

garymuchow and ehammond1 like this.
  6. XV is tasting phenomenal right now, but I'd drunk em if you've got em. History is not kind to the anniversary series after two years, and XIV is past prime (still delicious, but past).

ehammond1 likes this.
  7. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Russian River Damnation 23 (Batch 69), bottled in July 2011.

Any tripel character has faded significantly, with the yeast taking a back seat to the oaky flavor. In many ways, this now tastes like a Belgian blonde barleywine. Really a unique experience, and highly recommended. It might continue to get better, but I'd be surprised...

jedwards likes this.
  8. CaseyB23

CaseyB23 Disciple (70) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

thanks for the advice i was planning to open the 14 soon, now ill make it priority

xanok likes this.
  9. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Turned 30 today... celebrated with this:

[​IMG]

Right in its prime (you know... for what I'm looking for ;) ) -- cap came off with the slightest hiss (no carbonation on the palate), nose is burnt coffee, some soy sauce, basement must, a little balsamic. Mouthfeel is surprisingly rich, taste is extremely vinous with a strong sherry flavor, a bit of tannic leather, and some cherry/prune stuff going on. A little iodine in the finish. Really excellent.

Bitterbill, Bay01, tommyguz and 8 others like this.
  10. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

In regards to the damnation, i had every single batch made for about a 18 month + period. Never really noticed a difference in hte taste, but as they aged, the cork got harder and harder to get out. I'm no weakling, but i ended up giving a bunch to a friend because i wanted to kill myself one night when it was the only beer i had that was cold and i tried to no avail to get the cork out for over half hour. Maybe i was doing something wrong, but i plan on drinking those fresh from here on out. All in all, i am a big fan of Damnation despite the cork issues. I think its just because the yeast carbonates the bottle (?), and makes it extremely difficult to open. Does anybody else have or had that issue? My friends love to bust my.... about it, and i'm kind of sick of dealing with it. Wonderful beer though

11. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

Had a year old Devil in the Details last night and it's turning sour. - took a long time for the infection to take hold but it's well on its way now.
    We all poured it.

Also had a Firestone walker 12 which was amazing. Had this a year ago and I thought it wasnt aging well but it must have been in a "valley"

2007 Dark Lord was tasing pretty good (for a Dark Lord) - way better than the 2010 we also had.

CaseyB23 likes this.
  12. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

E-bay was really good place to get these. I'm sorry a few bad eggs had to spoil it for the rest of us.

13. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

what beer is this?

14. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Courage Imperial Russian Stout (formerly Barclay-Perkins Russian Imperial Stout): http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/12873 -- made up until 1993 and then resumed in 2011, though it seems likely that the 2011 may not have the aging potential of the original.

15. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Damnation 23 is a completely different beer.

16. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

Widmer W'11 KGB
    I had no preconceived notions on this. I found this beer to be a good value although not necessarily a great RIS.
    I did have a fairly aggressive pour and a good size head appeared. Dark with nice dark red highlights. Aroma is a rich dark malt with some nice fruit and dark toast/roast. Taste carries the roast much heavier than any deep fruit. Dryness still there too. Grains still hold some sharpness too. This may have smoothed out some, but it's a little hard to tell. All in all it's still a decent RIS and remains a good value.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  17. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

08 GI BCS - starting to oxidize, drink now.

18. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Drank a Sebago Single Batch Series Barley wine last night.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23973/42419

This beer was already quite amazing fresh, but was definitely on the harsh side. After about a year or so, the bourbon was toned down a bit but still pretty forward. It was super-smooth and extremely complex. Total bargain at $8 a bomber too.

Gosox8787 and 4DAloveofSTOUT like this.
  19. xanok

I think I have two left. Gonna make sure I drink em soon. Thanks.

20. Kopfschuss

Cracked a five year old Val Dieu Grand Cru last night. Pours a light brown color, like that of flat pepsi, with a decent head for the age. The cork was a bitch to get off but rewarding to drink. Pours a light brown color, like that of flat pepsi. Very carbonated, so much so that when held in the mouth you can hear it in your ears. Aroma of green apple, dark fruit, and yeast. This beer drinks dangerously easy, even more so after aging. My girlfriend thought I was drinking a soda when she tasted it. Dr. Pepper is the only flavor (or 23 flavors) that I can attribute to this beer but as the beer warmed, green apple became much more prevalent. No alcohol taste to describe. Overall, I think I prefer this one fresh.

garymuchow likes this.
  21. Kopfschuss

I also just had one recently and thought it was drinking rather well right now. I may have preferred the roughness of a fresh bottle a bit more however. Different strokes.

CaseyB23 likes this.
  22. headbucket

headbucket Savant (275) Ohio Oct 30, 2007

Weyerbacher 14- the wheatwine.
    I don't really have good notes from when it was fresh to compare to.
    A dark honey color with a little cloudiness.
    Smells sweet with a toasted sugar scent and some bread and a bit of fruit.
    Taste is pretty nice- sweet with a hint of brown sugar over some fruit flavors and a bit of alcohol taste.
    Overall this is pretty nice. I think this is my last and I would be weary of letting it go too much longer but am very pleased with it as it is now.

garymuchow likes this.
  23. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

Bell's Batch 10,000

Still a nice pop upon opening. Slightly dusty aroma with a solid malt base. A little boozy.
    Still a full dark dense head. A dark red (garnet) and cloudy body.
    This might be moving past it's prime. Not that it is bad, but it's losing some richness. Still a malt forward drink with some sweetness and a bit of drying. Seems a little less complex that last time I had it. A little sherry like and a little fruit still present.
    A nice drink, but I think it's on the downward side.

24. Kopfschuss

Got a little bored with what was in the fridge so I ventured down into the cellar and grabbed a Snoqualmie 14th Anniversary RIS named Louis Quatorze. Should be just over a year old at this point. Unpasteurized/Unfiltered.

Poured a deep black with garnet around the edges, the head dissipates quickly. Smells of chocolate, leather, soy sauce, licorice, and a bit of tobacco. Taste is rather interesting, not quite what I was hoping for. A meld of the aforementioned aromas along with a meaty, almost salty, flavor that is off-putting to me. I think it is the soy sauce that kills it for me, never been a fan of it in my stouts. Body is quite thick, almost chewy with a rather dry finish. Overall, I remember not enjoying this beer much when I originally picked it up and threw a couple on the cellar to see what happened. Not saying much, but I preferred this beer fresh, but I will revisit this beer in another year or so and see what happens. Don't really see that turning out too well...

25. headbucket

headbucket Savant (275) Ohio Oct 30, 2007

2011 Goose Island christmas ale.
    i liked this beer fresh because even though it has some of the standard spicing of christmas ales, it is a lot less heavy on the spicing as compared to some other xmas ales.,
    dark, bready malts to begin with and it finishes off with the 'christmas ale' spices and a bit of pine. somewhat strong aftertaste of all flavors melding together.
    seems a bit muted except for the somewhat strong finish which i'm not loving.
    i would probably drink this fresh or let it go for a few more years to see what it turns in to.

26. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I had a bomber of 2009 Xmas ale that I totally forgot about and discovered recently. I opened it yesterday with a couple friends yesterday and holy crap, it was absolutely terrible. I mean, I completely expected that going into it, but it was bad...really bad. 4 years doesn't do anything positive to a Christmas ale, that's for sure!

27. Last weekend I opened a 2010 Boulder Obovoid with a couple buddies. I had found this dusty bottle hidden in the back of the clearance rack at the local liqy. I have no clue where it spent the last three years so it's hard to say if it was stored properly. I also don't know what it tasted like fresh but it definitely was no longer oak or oatmeal flavored in any way and actually reminded me of a Belgian strong dark. It was still carbonated but was pure raisin in flavor and nothing else. We concluded it was like killing a California Raisin and drinking his blood.

Drinking this elderly Obovoid wasn't bad, but it really wasn't good either; "questionable" would probably be the best term.

28. Opened a 2010 Kuhnhenn BB4D the other night. It was pretty tasty, lots of marshmallow and burnt brown sugar from the barrel, just like I remember from previous experiences with this beer when it didn't have quite as much age on it. A noticeable sherry like oxidized quality had creeped in as well though, and while it wasn't unpleasant, I don't think I'd let this beer go any longer.

29. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Got a Bramble recently from woodchopperstyle and I figured I'd check this bad boy out. Poured into a Voodoo snifter at cellar temp.

Carbonation upfront seems on point with a thin yet full head that turns to lacing shortly thereafter. Tons of blackberry and raspberry on the aroma, with little else to find. Tastes like berries, seeds, then some boozy/medicinal flavor coming through (not as strong as fresh) along with the rye notes and a little bit of wood on the finish. The berries are pretty evident from start to finish. Mouthfeel is still mediocre.

I think it still has some time to develop. The middle flavor seems like it needs a little longer to blend perfectly with everything else. After a couple sips, everything really falls into place and it is very good. As it stands right now, I would give it ~4.30. I think that once the mid-flavor falls into place, this is +4.5.

woodchopper and ASUBeer like this.
  30. Opened up my last JW Lees Harvest Ale from 1999 tonight. Short version: It's outstanding. Oxidation is probably the central focus of the flavor profile now, with complex nutty and sherry like notes fading into some fig fruitiness, with just a bit of toffee/ sweetness still present as well. A shining example of what extended aging can do to a beer.

jedwards likes this.
  31. xanok

Had a 2009 Stone IRS tonight.

Without going into much detail, thought it was past its prime. Body felt thinner. Flavor took on more dark fruit flavors.

32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've gotten... well, one is on its way, 3 full bottles of UK goodness on ebay recently. Don't give up the fight.;)

jedwards likes this.