1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

March Beer Spending Madness

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ri0, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

So I have already spent $170 on beer this March and there are still 2 weeks left! My goal was to keep beer purchases around $100-$150 per month this year, but new releases keep coming out right now that I still want to buy...

Anyone else see their "beer budget" skyrocket?
  2. yes, can't go anywhere without finding something to buy
  3. NooseJustice

NooseJustice Savant (445) Indiana Aug 4, 2010

I was doing just fine until I saw that Fat Head is now distributed in Indiana yesterday. I loaded up on Head Hunter and Oompa Loompa
    Shmuffalo and creepinjeeper like this.
  4. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

My last month (from late February until now) has been VERY expensive. A couple cases of Heady Topper, a couple trades, some special releases and random beers that showed up in the area (Sucaba, Enjoy By, Plead the 5th, a couple Short's brews)...I don't even want to think about how much I've spent
  5. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I spent a lot more than usual in the past 30 days because I ran out of homebrew and it was too cold and snowy to brew in Jan and Feb. I brewed last week, so April should have a much lower beer bill.
  6. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (250) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I walked into bevmo last night to get a replacement tulip (my friend drunkenly broke mine), so I went in there with a single goal and walked out with 60 dollars worth of beer. I should of just gone to world market for the glass, they have a horrible selection.
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  7. Besides a 6er of AIPA, I haven't spent much. It's been a good month to whittle away at the reserves. Boulevard Coffee Ale hits Tues though so ill have to snag 2-3 bottles of it.
  8. tstigz

tstigz Savant (290) Illinois Dec 6, 2010

Probably around $200 for me so far this month. I have enough beer to last me at least six months, though. I don't look forward to summer beers, so my next big expense won't be until wet hop season.
  9. I have bought more beer this month than any other month in recent memory. Cheers to my wife finishing school and getting full time employment. :cool:
    TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  10. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Weird, but I keep seein' Lagunitas Sucks and as much as I want to buy more, I pick up a single here and there, just today I reached a full six pack, so my dumb a$$ probably could`ve saved money by buying the full sixer in the beginning, Yes, I overspent this month due to poor planning on my part.
  11. Yea, i got my tax refund and went a bit nuts between beer and homebrew equipment. Oops.
    Trilogy31 likes this.
  12. Actually this month I've spent very little...........spent a lot on Hopslam, Sucks and Enjoy By cases in Jan......had to slow down.
  13. mvdillman

mvdillman Savant (255) Indiana Dec 30, 2012

March has been a crazy month. Spent a lot…
  14. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

$170? HA!

Just got back from a fam trip to Chicago during march break. CC melting.
    Ri0 likes this.
  15. Between the case of CW BBBW, 4 pack of DH Double Crooked Tree, Weyerbacker Insanity, NG IIPA, Lagunitas Sucks, Founders OC and not to mention all my normal drinking beer like NG Moon Man, Lag Maximus and Bells Two Hearted the last couple weeks have not made my wife very happy.... Probably at $300 already, but with that said I am good and stocked for the next couple weeks that is for sure!
  16. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

my season is Dec-Feb. bourbon county/ goose island.... finishing up w/ cases upon cases of sucks. Easily $1200 over that period. My wallet is actually GRATEFUL that it's march. I'll be working off my winter haul probably until june :eek:
    BostonHops and Ri0 like this.
  17. It's crazy how I tell myself I don't need anymore right now and then . . . there it is calling me, taunting me; a beer on my want to try list. Now you're saying Fat Head is just across the border? I am off Tuesday. Looks like a road trip is on and my budget is screwed. Oompa Loompa here I come!!!!
    DHS1029 and Ri0 like this.
  18. I prefer to brew in the really cold months because I can chill the wort way faster and my beers are more clear. However, a cold garage pretty much sucks compared to the warmer April temps!

To the OP, the first quarter of the year is always the most expensive because of all the annual releases that I really enjoy.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  19. Beer budget???? HAHAHAHA.

I buy beer out of spite at this point. My wife came home with $300 worth of clothes from Justice yesterday for our daughter. All for spring break in San Antonio with the grandparents. I couldn't believe you could fit $300 worth of clothes into ONE small bag.

She dared me to try and fit $300 worth of beer in the same space so I went and bought 10 bottles of 50/50 variants.

Your move WIFEY!
  20. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I'm out of control too! Between buying for myself and for trades I think I need another job!
  21. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Yep been tracking my beer purchases in a Google spreadsheet. $160 so far. I've been loading up on rotating/seasonal stouts lately- expensive stuff like Pt5, Expedition, BA BORIS, Black Note etc just this month so far. So now I have a stockpile of stouts in addition to recently released DIPAs (DCT, NG). Plus my usual sixers of shelf beers like Eddy Fitz. My monthly beer expenditures were just as high, if not worse, last month as I was basically turning my money into CW BB beers, BCBS/BCBCS and Pipeworks.

For some reason, the way I rationalize it is that when spring and summer come around, I have a tendency to drink more shelf beers and/or homebrews which are going to be more "efficient" and have bigger bang for my buck. So thats stuff like hefeweizens and pale ales. Not barrel-aged imperial stouts or porters which have a tendency to be a lot more expensive. I'll have them in a small closet in my climate-controlled apartment available at any time to chill in the fridge for consumption should I desire such a brew. That's how I rationalize it anyway- pay for the big guns up front, drink it later at home instead of getting it for 2x the price on tap somewhere whenever someone decides to tap a keg.

If it helps, I primarily drink at home with other people and don't go to beer events.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  22. you fellas makes me feel a lot better about myself...
  23. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (525) Florida May 25, 2012

i just went to Hunanhpu day and left with 2/3 of a case and a car full of goodies so yes, you could say my budget spiked for march.
  24. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

Probably spent 100 at firestone, 70 from bruery and like another 70+ from bevmo.
    I'm still new so I only have about 20 bottles in my stash
  25. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Savant (480) New York Aug 10, 2010

What's a budget?
    bilboTbaggins and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  26. I think its along the lines of a new years resolution.
  27. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Between Hunahpu's Day, Bruery Reserve Society releases and other anual/ seasonals I've spiked $500+ in March. And KBS, Doom & Dark Lord Day are right around the corner...
  28. I handle my beer budget like Obama on government spending.
  29. With KBS coming to my area soon, my wallet is already like "Fuck, man!"
  30. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Lagunitas Sucks in a 6 pack by my house for 7.99 is a great price, but when you buy all that they have for trade and gifts,,, it really adds up, plus I had to get thier remaining stock of GUBNA before the formula changes..:confused: Then cases of Stone Barley wine... Yea I have had a spendy month
  31. Spring break is kind to my ever-deepening thirst, but it's true the deals are impossible to avoid. It's growler season!
  32. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I use a plate chiller and rely on gravity for drainage, so I brew on the patio deck and let it drain down a flight of stairs. I could brew in the garage, if I bought a pump or an immersion chiller, but I don't mind not brewing for a couple months in the winter.
  33. mustve spent like 500 between boston and vt this week... luckily friday's my bday so i can bother people into buying my drinks this weekend.
  34. Yeah January was a killer and I slowed down a bit in February but I went into Total Wine yesterday and dropped another 71 including two New Belgium tulips so I don't get admonished when I drink Quads from a regular pint glass! My wife was like "wtf don't you have glasses already" but she of course doesn't get it. I also bought a bottle of The Bruery Sour in the Rye for easter and I'm excited to have my first American Wild Ale so I hope it's good!
  35. Yup, my march beer spending is definitely a problem...Unfortunately that gives it something in common with my beer spending in just about every other month.
  36. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

spent over $600 in tampa over huna weekend
  37. After reading this post I realized I was slacking and immediately gave my local shop $80 for some Sour's.
  38. Titans77

Titans77 Savant (260) Maryland Jul 21, 2011

Nugget Nectar, Palate Wrecker, On The Wings Of Armageddon, Enyoy By, Sucaba and FW 16th. Yeah I'm hurting quite a bit this month...
  39. Local bottle shop had out of markets we usually don't see in pittsburgh, rr, loast abbey, and mikkeller. expensive tuesday for me.
  40. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

This month has been especially brutal. I've already spent over $300 on beer and that doesn't count DLD tickets or the hotel costs.