1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

March Madness Survivor BIF – Sign Up

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by brees6221, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I need 64 participants. Each participant will be randomly assigned to a team in the NCAA March Madness tournament. What’s that, you say? You haven’t been following college basketball and don’t want to fill out an entire bracket based on which mascot would win in a street fight? Then this is the BIF for you! Just root for your one team to keep winning – the more they win, the more boxes you receive!

16 participants will make it to the Sweet 16 round, 48 will not. The 48 who do not make it are the shippers.

Participants who make it into the Sweet 16 but are eliminated get 1 box
    Elite 8 - 2 additional boxes
    Final 4 - 2 additional boxes
    Championship Game - 2 additional boxes
    Champion - 4 additional boxes

So the final payout looks like this:

Champion (1) - 11 boxes
    Championship game non-winner (1) - 7 boxes
    Final 4 non-winners (2) - 5 boxes
    Elite 8 non-winners (4) - 3 boxes
    Sweet 16 non-winners (8) - 1 box

Fine Print
    1. Open to BA’s in the lower 48 US states only2. Non-winning participants agree to ship at minimum 44oz. of wants, locals, or otherwise high quality beer to one of the winners, to be assigned after the tournament. There is no limit to the amount you can send.3. Shipping window opens Tuesday, April 9th (pending assignments) and runs through Tuesday, April 30th. 4. To participate, you must have an established trade/BIF history or a sponsor who does. Your sponsor agrees to ship a box if you fail to do so.
    If you want in, simply respond in this thread. I will periodically post and update a list of participants in this thread. If you see the name of a BA who you feel should not participate because they have failed to come through on past trades, are on the bad trader list or for any other reason, please contact me immediately. I will make the final call but I need help from everyone with such a large group of participants.

Once the bracket is set, I will make a list of all participants, in alphabetical order. Then I will draw all 64 teams and they will be assigned to the participants in the order they’re drawn. Assignments will be posted in this thread and I will make every effort to video the drawing.

2. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

Scissors!

Edit: in

3. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

hmm,looks like fun. I am in.

4. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I'm in...of course

5. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

I feel bad for any of the 15- and 16-seeds. Good luck fellas!

6. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Savant (290) Tennessee Aug 24, 2004

7. Mcooly

Mcooly Savant (275) New Jersey Feb 19, 2011

I'm in!

8. Yeah, similar to getting 5-6 or 2-8 in the Super Bowl Squares...luck of the draw! Will you be joining us?

9. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

10. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

I'll pass. But, thanks for the offer. ;)

Not to play DevAd here, but 5-6 and 2-8 have won Super Bowls in years past. No 15- or 16- seed has ever made it to the Sweet Sixteen, much less advanced further. That's why I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

11. richkrull

richkrull Savant (450) Wisconsin Dec 4, 2010

Hell yes. Love it. Count me in!!!

12. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (500) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

Whats another box of beer, Sign me up.

13. Count me in.

14. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Sounds good to me, IN!

15. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (565) Florida Aug 11, 2012

count me in

16. I guess il get in again too

17. *sigh*

Screw it, I'm in, too. My odds of coming out with a box in this BIF are better than my team even making the tournament this year. And we won the title last year. :(

18. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (375) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Definitely in.

19. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

In. Hoping I don't get the winner of the horizon league...

20. 1. brees6221
    2. celticfutblclub
    3. AnnArborJoe
    4. Timmush
    5. beerborn
    6. hopoilcrazy
    7. Mcooly
    8. Lordkrystic
    9. richkrull
    10. davesway10
    11. bluedevil23
    12. funhog
    13. johnyb
    14. jaminjohnson
    15. TheBeerAlmanac
    16. MSEGUIN
    17. AJDePaul

21. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

I don't want in, but this really should be capped at the 14 seed as the highest. 13 seed would be even more fair (especially this year which is going to have some of the worst 4 and 5 seeds in the history of the tournament.)

22. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

In! Gotta return the favor from the Super Bowl BIF.

23. i guess sign me up
    what the worst that will happen lol
    darn you cost me at the superbowl too lol

24. AJDePaul

Brees... How are you drawing the names for the teams? Will this be a CFH/brad YouTube video drawing?

25. johnyb

Are you going to wait to draw until after the "play in" games? Last year, technically 68 teams made the tourney and four teams were knocked out the Tues and Wed before the "field of 64" tipped it off starting Thurs and Friday.

26. johnyb

Pending any changes to the current format, a total of 68 teams will enter the 2013 tournament. Thirty of the 31 automatic bids teams will be given to the program that wins their conference tournament. The remaining automatic bid will go to the Ivy League regular season champion since they do not hold a conference tournament. The remaining 37 teams will be granted "at-large" bids, which are extended by the NCAA Selection Committee.
    Eight teams—the four lowest-seeded automatic qualifiers and the four lowest-seeded at-large teams—will play in the First Four (the successor to what had been popularly known as "play-in games" through the 2010 tournament). The winners of these games advance to the main draw of the tournament.
    The Selection Committee will also seed the entire field from 1 to 68.

27. Thanks for the unsolicited feedback. There's always room for March Madness Survivor 2.0 if you'd like to see it run a different way.

28. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

No problem. I look forward to next year when you tacitly make the change after a couple people whine about it.

29. That's the safest way for me to do it in order to avoid skeptics if I end up with a really good team, but I dread the idea of making a long drawn out video posting 64 drawings. Ideally I'd like to just do everything in Excel with a few local BA witnesses, but if a video is needed that's what I'll do.

30. AJDePaul

Not sure on protocol for this type of BIF but you know as well as I that if you end up with Duke without any evidence of how you ended up with duke that there WILL be issues. Probably in your best interest to be as transparent as humanly possible.

31. It happens every year in Super Bowl Squares but I don't stop assigning numbers 5-5, 5-6, etc just because the odds suck. I don't mind whiners, the details of the BIF are clear and if someone doesn't like it they don't have to join. What I do mind is people who don't know how to mind their own business when no one asked their opinion.

32. I was planning on just listing those as "winner of Wilmington Quaker College vs. Miami Dade Community College", etc. Either way, that person is getting the 16 seed in that particular region.

Hopefully this works, if I'm not thinking this through someone let me know.

33. That's what I was thinking. I know I'm honest but that doesn't get me very far on the internet, haha. I'll probably end up doing a video just to prevent any issues.

34. AJDePaul

The internets are a funny place

35. Totes in, brah.

36. coz

coz Savant (390) Illinois Jul 16, 2011

im in

37. Count me in!

38. In!

Pre-emptive call of shenanigans for my assignment to the 16 seed that plays Indiana!!

Also, to add to the unsolicited advice, one way to do it would be to assign BAs to a particular slot in the tournament bracket.

This way, you could draw for slots as soon as there are 64 people. Say, first draw gets the No 1 seed in the West bracket, second draw gets No. 1 in the South bracket, third gets No. 1 in North Bracket, etc etc etc, using whatever order you chose.

This would save you the frantic moment of trying to do a draw after the teams are selected and also give an additional element of suspense when you find out that you are the number 7 seed in the West , so you then wait to find out what team you got.