1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Marijuana Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As a preface, I don't use marijuana, I don't know much about it, and I'm not advocating for or against its use here.

That being sad, I am really curious about marijuana's use in beer because marijuana is legal for recreational use in Colorado and Washington now, and has been legal in many countries around the world before that. I see many reviews on here describing some beers as having marijuana aromas, and I was curious if anyone knows anything about what happens when you use the real thing in brewing beer. My curiosity specifically concerns

1) whether beer can be brewed with marijuana with good results
    2) whether beer can be brewed/ sold legally in places like Colorado and Washington, where it is legal for recreational use.
  2. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Interesting concept. I don't use the stuff either.

Aren't' hops in the same family?
  3. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

Its illegal
  4. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Savant (480) New York Aug 10, 2010

Drugs are bad, mmmkay?
    ramoshms, KFBR392, ERRL710 and 4 others like this.
  5. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

6. http://articles.philly.com/2011-09-...s-ed-rosenthal-marijuana-for-medical-purposes

I've also heard my buddies talking about trying this by replacing hops with weed, but I'm not sure it would come out that great. First, I don't know what the alpha acid levels are in refer. Second, not so sure if any THC would make it through the boil. If I saw weed beer sold commercially in Colorado or Washington, I would pass on it.
  7. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Save your weed adding it to beer is not going to give you any THC.
  8. It will, if done right and it'll knock you on your can.
    Add tincture on flame out, or in the secondary. The good stuff and the results are not very water soluble and won't handle being boiled.
    There's a honey tincture recipe that pairs with a chai recipe around the webs that look like it would work very nicely in a stout / winter warmer or perhaps a Belgian?
  9. azorie

Well I never tried it. WE had the argument a few times, long ago its usually gets deleted asap. I been to Amsterdam many many times, and I am not scared to say I smoke the hell out of the stuff over there. I even been to places that used to let you drink and smoke. But I asked many over there where is the pot beer, I not seen it, not yet anyway.

I just do not think the THC would survive the process, but hey I bet I am wrong, its not the first time, nor will it be the last. Live and learn.:D:eek::rolleyes:
  10. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

How about Alice B Toklas Brownie Ale?
  11. Thanks for posting! It looks like an expensive recipe though.;)
  12. That's why I never attempted.
  13. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (610) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Marijuana aromas usually only end up in my beer when it is skunked.
    I_BYE_MI_BEER likes this.
  14. I've heard that confirmed, hops and cannabis same family.

As a non MJ user, I absolutely love the smell and taste, just don't like the effects of it anymore. I'd love an infused IPA with the MJ to try, but only if it were THC free. I think it would taste lovely!
    Cubatobaco and APBT91 like this.
  15. The only reason to put weed in beer is for people with emphysema who can't smoke it. For everyone else, light up before and while you drink. You'll get the same high.
  16. There are plenty of reasons for not igniting said plant, and ingesting is a very different experience than inhaling it. Physical activities; like swimming are not recommended for two hours after meals.
    I can only imagine there are already some serious and long developed inroads between the Colorado dispensaries and some of its breweries, and their staff that are hard at work figuring this out as we speak.
  17. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (300) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

they are from the same family, and a MJ IPA would most likely taste amazing!
    Knee_Deep_Fan likes this.
  18. billyshears

billyshears Savant (335) Maryland Jan 27, 2008

there's a big difference between smoking and ingesting.
    azorie likes this.
  19. azorie

I seen lots of recipe but is there any science to show the beer produced actually has any THC? I mean the mind is a crazy thing, I seen kids smoke Oregano and think they are high. of course the THC in pot is way higher than the 60's and 70's. I used to think 5 grams was nothing but 5 grams goes a long way, via smoking.

LOL.
  20. I know. Just don't take me so seriously.
  21. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Hence my reference to Alice B Toklas Brownie (Ale) above. Years ago, a great friend and I would play golf and he would prepare for the outing with a few "ginny cakes". I often didn't know he had until about the 5th or 6th hole when he either started making every putt or hitting the ball sideways. Looked to me like ingestion was effective because he always had a shitload of fun, regardless of how he played.
  22. Hirshi

Hirshi Savant (300) New York May 1, 2012

A friend of mine's Dad is a talented homebrewer in Western Mass. I've been bugging my buddy to bring me his homebrews for a while. Friend's Dad is also an avid pothead like myself, so when I heard he had concocted a weed based beer recipe I had to try it. I got a swingtop of it, shared it with some friends at a bar here in NY and was impressed by the weed-like taste and aroma imparted on the beer. It genuinely tasted like weed stems/shake and there was even a slight serrano pepper kick as well. No, we didn't get high, but the weed flavors were definitely complimentary to this light, crisp lager.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.