1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Mark those calendars...sorta. Citra is coming!

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Vanlingleipa, Jan 5, 2013.

1. I'm assuming they will only sell this at the brewery, right?

2. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (405) California Nov 2, 2012

Right. 3 day event.

3. A few kegs usually make it down to SD.

4. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

I think that was just last time for San Diego Beer Week. This release falls more inline with San Francisco Beer Week, so I am guessing they will see a few kegs.

5. KaslD

KaslD Initiate (0) California Nov 25, 2012

Is there a limit at the brewery?

6. Rau71

Has been 6 Bottles in the past, I am sure it will be 6 Bottles again.

7. KaslD

Damn. Don't know if I can justify a 8-9 hour round trip for 6 bottles. Maybe I can get 3 friends to go with. Thanks for the info man.

JustXBeer likes this.
  8. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

I'm sure there will be limits again. Just like the last few releases. Probably no growler fills and a limit of 6 bottles per person per day. Like last time they had a certain number of bottles to sell each day. Once gone for that day, thats it. Until the next day. Just pint fills at the brewery after that. I think this seems to work the best so far.
    What to do? Kern River Citra trip or Russian River Younger trip? Or both?

9. dcgunman

Worth it! For now. Carpool with some friends or BA's here and it's worth it. Camp over night and hang out for two days. Might be a bit cold in Feb.

10. KaslD

Damn its a campout type of release?!? Its in the middle of nowhere!! Lol. I mean understandable for CFH and all that. But at least I can hang onto those! If I get these they will be gone the same day!!

11. Rau71

I am doing Both. Should be awesome.
    No it isn't a Camp out. I get there the day of an hour and a half before release and am usually half way 60 out of 120.

12. Naw, not a campout deal. Last couple of releases, the earliest arrivals came about 7-8 am for an 11 am (I think) opening. Then you drink your fill of Citras on tap at KRBC and save your bottles in order to taunt your friends with them (true beer advocacy).

Last release we stayed overnight at a lodge next door. Downed at least 10 Citras that day/night - Jeezthus they went down smooth and tasty!

13. KaslD

Thats totally something I would do. Lmfao!!

I actually want some for myself and I gotta ship 1 out to a new trading partner who grabbed me a BB GBS as an extra!! Blew my mind. Lol. Already going to the Expo release at Alpine. So hopefully I can do both!!

JustXBeer likes this.
  14. Nice extra. Now you're taunting us :D

15. KaslD

Lol. Seriously! He will be a keeper for sure! Especially since Hardywood looks pike they will be pushing out some nice stuff this year. Already have a Ethiopian Sidame Coffee Stout that just came out too.

16. dcgunman

Citra will be released on Feb 1. Info's on their facebook page. Who's going? If not, then Santa Rosa?

17. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Take your mom, dad and wife. Spend all 3 days there and take home 72 bottles.

JustXBeer, KaslD and dcgunman like this.
  18. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (335) California Jan 11, 2010

If your dad is also your wife you need to report to Maury Povich immediately.

cselby likes this.
  19. Centennial

Centennial Savant (450) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

20. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (630) California Oct 17, 2010

Anybody going to the release heading up to the bay area sometime soon? I'm looking for a few bottles and got a couple of tasty stuff for an up trade

21. I'll be hitting up Russian River probably during the week after Citra's release.

dcgunman likes this.
  22. Rau71

The allotment is super small this time, might not be worth the trip with only 35 cases a day getting sold.

23. evilc

The allotment is the same - 6 per person per day. Get there 2 hours early you get the same allotment.

24. Rau71

Not the 6 bottle limit, but the amount they are selling last few times it was 60 cases a day, this time it is 35. So basically half the line won't get any bottles this time.

25. evilc

Must have been awhile ago. Here is March, 2012:

Citra News. We have a new batch and we will be bottling 120 cases. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we have decided to sell it ALL at the brewery. This means we will be releasing 40 cases on Friday the 23rd, Saturday the 24th and Sunday the 25th. There will be a 6 bottle per person limit and there will be NO growler fills. Why no growler fills? Well, last time the Citra on tap only lasted 2 days, so if we have bottles on Sunday and nothing on tap it would look kind of silly. If we don't sell all 40 cases each day, we will just carry those cases over to the next day.

August, 2012:

Citra’s coming back on tap, and in bottles, at KRBC Friday, August 17th! We’ll be releasing a total of 115 cases w/a 6 bottle limit/person. 45 cs will be released Friday, 45 cs on Saturday and 25 cs on Sunday. No growler fills. We’ll also have some other fun KRBC beers on tap over the weekend: cask Citra w/ fresh Cascade hops and cask Citra w/Jalapenos. Hopefully we see you up here!

26. dcgunman

Last Citra release the first 90 peeps in line would get a ticket for purchase (6 bottles per person). After the 90th peep then it's just drink at the pub only. If it's 35 cases this time around and theres 12 bottles per case then thats 420 bottles per day. And if everybody in line (first 70) buys 6 bottles each then that should come out to 70 peeps. If I remember right the 90th person that showed up was around half an hour to 45 minutes before opening. Saturday should be busier than Friday. Sunday not as much. Good luck to those going. And safe driving. . . . . .

27. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (295) California Jul 12, 2012

KRBC opens at 2pm on saturday.... dont worry about it.. come late :p not serious... i gots to get mines

28. It always felt like Fridays were the more mad filled days.

29. dcgunman

And it will be a Firkin Friday at that. :) Saturday too. :) Citra will be on cask both days. ;)

30. Wish I could make it out for this, that's a drive from the Bay.

31. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

It's not worth the drive from the Bay, unless there's some kind of huge bottleshare/orgy at a local motel afterward.

Spend your energy at SF Beer Week events.

BlakeSmith likes this.
  32. dcgunman

It is worthy.

33. Actually "only" JO on cask - we saved all the Citra for draft to eek out another 150 pints or so. Winter DIPA, Dirty Hippie, Class X and possibly some Rye IPA should be on tap as well.

Rau71 and John11486 like this.
  34. Oh man. I do love me some Class X.

35. dcgunman

Will you have bottles of Winter Ale or Dirty Hippie available for sale? Growler fills of Class X or Dirty Hippie?

36. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Getting Citra has become a real hassle and TBH has pretty much fell off my radar. Snagging Younger is like 10x easier, as with other rarities.

37. dcgunman

Citra is still one of my favs. Until they change or tweek the recipe I will continue to make the road trip up north to the Kern River area. Bringing back 6, 12 or more bottles to share with family and friends is worth it. It's always nice to get up to the river and do some camping and chilling out time. Before Citra It's been at least 25 years since my last visit to the southern Sierra's. Would always hit the Sierra's along 395. Easier to get to. Yes there are beers thats out there that's a lot easier to get a hold of. But it gets to be a hassle when your driving around town for one bottle here and one there. So I've made a choice to take road trips to Kern, Alpine and Beachwood LB(not really a road trip) when I need my ipa fixes. I would use to fly to SFO and seek and destroy Younger few years back but it's no longer on my beer radar. I've moved away from the BIGGER ABV beers. I like to drink slow and savor the flavor. Guess I'm old.

38. Do they really need to let people get SIX bottles? o_O

39. evilc

With their location? Yes. Long trip for less bottles.