1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mark those calendars...sorta. Citra is coming!

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Vanlingleipa, Jan 5, 2013.

1. I live about two hours from the joint. In order for me to get any bottles I would either have to leave in the middle of the night and sleep in the street out front, or drive up the night before and get a room. Both pretty silly in my opinion for a bottle of beer. I wish I had two days of my life to devote to securing a bottle of this liquid. Will people do it, I'm sure they will. It would just make me all warm and fuzzy if I at least thought I had a chance to get one of the damn bottles by limiting the catch to two per person. I may go up on Sunday, weather permitting, knowing the bottles will be gone. I just more want it from the pub on draft. Would love to share a bottle with friends that will never be able to make it to the brewery, that's all.

Would people appreciate it more if he allowed you to buy an entire case of the 35 allotted? Thoughts

I see you are from SD, not sure if you are planning on going, but would you not make the trip if you were only allowed two bottles instead of six?

2. I'd be more inclined to drive up there were it a 3 bottle limit since it would make it twice as easy/likely to score bottles. That's one hell of a trek to make when it appears you either have to get up early and line up in the cold for hours, or risk being shut out after spending all that gas, lodging, time and hope.

3. First, you don't have to get up at the asscrack of dawn on Friday. With Friday being a work day and Kern River so freakin' far from LA, arriving at 9 am or so has been good enough for every Citra release I've attended (which has been all of them).

Second, you're talking about so much more than 'A' single bottle of beer. We spent Friday night at the lodge last release, and I wound up sucking down a dozen delicious Citras on tap in the 24 hour period between the Friday and Sat. allotment sales (btw, the smell of Citra hops is so powerful in the KRBC restaurant, I feel like I'm walking through an almost visibly thick, Citrafied funk - just outstanding <pun intended>). Final scorecard: left with a case in hand and another dozen in the belly. Good times.

JustXBeer likes this.
  4. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

ISO.

FT: my left nut.

Seriously, I would do a lot of things to get my hands on some of this. Things I'm not very proud of. If you plan on getting extra, LET'S WORK SOMETHING OUT!

5. Anyone from Orange County going up there that I might be able to catch a ride with? I would pitch in for gas and bring some tasty brews as well!

6. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

Something to wet your appetite until the release. Don't forget to grab as much Winter Ale and JO too while you are there. I might make the trip if weather permits. Citra is so damn good.

[​IMG]

7. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Weather permits!! Should be in the high 60's with plenty of sun & citra for the weekend! Do they still have Winter Ale in bottles? If so then yes I shall grab a few bottles of Ale n JO.

8. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (260) California Nov 22, 2011

What day(s) is everyone shooting for this weekend? Hoping to make either friday or sunday myself.

9. Do they release a certain amount each day on draft, or does he just continue tapping it until its gone? I guess my question is, will there be Citra on tap sunday morning guaranteed?

10. Who is going sunday?

11. My wife is going to make the trip for me and i dont know what time to have her go. She is a tropper
    Cuz i got work

12. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

I have never seen a tap limit, but I also have never seen them run out, they wanted pints of Citra to happen at least all weekend which was one of the reasons why they stopped growler fills.

13. I have never seen them tap out of citra. Which is probably not going to happen anyway since they aren't doing growler fills of it this go-round.

So it should still be plenty on tap after the weekend.

14. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Planning on going Sat...Citra for Super Bowl sounds mighty fine.

15. What day is she going? If she's going Saturday, earlier is better. Tell her to look for me. She can't miss me.

16. She is considering sunday cuz thats
    The day she is off. I might just go friday afternoon and drink it on tap

17. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

40 deep @ 8AM. lol

18. walterfredo

Total shit show. Got to the brewery 2 hours early and not gonna make the cut. Never again.

19. evilc

All releases need to move to online ticketing where if you if you get a ticket, you don't waste a day of your time.

Rocket80, pmarlowe and heesu like this.
  20. walterfredo

That'd be nice. As is I've wasted my day, not even sure why m still waiting in line, other than the fact I made a 2.5 hour drive this morning. Line is probably 200 strong by now. Not even sure how everyone will even get to drink it on tap, no chance all these peeps can fit inside.

21. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Just saw the line video Kyle put up at 10:15...looks longer than the Younger line from this morning that Natalie out up....ugh!

22. evilc

Citra is much easier to trade for than to get at the brewery. The only reason to go to the brewery is to drink it on tap imo.

23. Driving hours to wait for hours with significant chance of shut-out. Citra is great, but it's not *that* great. I'm not sure any beer is.

24. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

And we're expecting the line to be even worse tomorrow, right?

25. Not even Backfat trolling, 125 people in line for Citra 90 mins before they open. They said they hit max at ~9am. I am def shut out. Guys were here at 630am

Beer has hit lame new levels, how will I ever land those awesome Hopslam offers now

libbey, jasonmason, jmgrub and 2 others like this.
  26. I hope this "it's not worth it" thing catches on.
    I'm curious why people are shocked that arriving a couple hours early for a highly sought after beer isn't enough.

27. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

a night stay is the only way to do it for me.. last time i went we ended up making a freakin baby at the lodge hahahaha.. liil kid is forever nicknamed citra

p.s. dont forget to get your eggs on at The Cracked Egg, people

28. Also the Rye IPA is cashed, no winter on tap. No growlers of anything but just out standing and Isabella

libbey likes this.
  29. Arriving a couple hours early wasn't enough.

Now I know what it feels like to live in depressing ass Michigan

libbey and ehammond1 like this.
  30. My baby was made the night of the last release. I think it has something to do with the water they use.

SageO and Zhiguli like this.
  31. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

If you're having Citra problems, I feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but beer ain't one

I got the trade patrol on forum patrol
    Foes that wanna win trades make sure my casket's closed
    Trade critics say Money Cash Shipping
    I'm from San Diego, why would I trade with ya'll?
    If you grew up drinking Pure, you would know
    You would celebrate the minute you tasted it
    I'm like fuck critics you can kiss away your FedEx charges
    If you don't like my stance you can press fast forward
    Got beef with the Bros, they don't like my posts
    BAs try and low ball my ass
    So Midwesterners gonna horde their stash
    I don't know what you take me as
    Or understand the intelligence that Patrick has
    I'm from Alpine to Russian River, Toro to Toro

If you're having Citra problems I feel bad for you son

libbey, UnknownKoger, KaslD and 10 others like this.
  32. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Any issues with mules line-cutting?

33. evilc

Hopefully Kern was smart enough to do wristbands....

34. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

Seriously? That's pretty fucking lame. Drown your sorrows in citra I guess...

35. They don't do wristbands. Previously, an hour or two before opening, they pass out tickets that you redeem (with $$$) for your Citra allotment.

In four releases, I've never seen a problem with line cutting.

36. No line cutting. Plus side the liquor store next for sells fresh JO so you can drink in line and thank god you don't have to work.

It's ok I guess. Just sad I won't land that epic Nugget Nectar whale.

libbey, SageO and ehammond1 like this.
  37. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

#kinghenry'd

ehammond1 likes this.
  38. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

so you're still expecting ? funny stuff. kernville is contageous

39. Y
    Yup. May 10th, a product of Citra will grace the world. Considering how drunk I was, I'm shocked.

40. Given the fact that there are more birthdays in September than any other month of the year (i.e., nine months after New Year's Eve), you shouldn't be too surprised. Unless you're implying a performance issue related to drunkenness, in which case I'll slowy back away from this post and pretend it never happened.