1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mark those calendars...sorta. Citra is coming!

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Vanlingleipa, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (235) California Jul 12, 2012

Ditto, had no plans to be fruitful that night. something in the magic hop, definitely. congrats and good luck
  2. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Citra tasted good, but not as good as Class X. Feel bad for those who didn't get bottles, but wasn't about to get anything less than the full allotment after waking up at 4 AM and driving up from LA.
  3. They really need to bottle class x. that sucker is damn delicious.
  4. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Dont feel bad...alls fair in love, war and beer.
  5. arash1000

arash1000 Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 26, 2012

I agree on both counts. The class x tasted awesome and even better than the citra. Actually had three beers and cirta was the 3rd best but still awesome. The other beer was the Just Outstanding with Mosaic hops on cask. I got in line at 7:15 and got ticket number 23.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Sitting at bar right now enjoying another Citra. Back for round two today. Line was totally insane this morning. Arrived at 820am thinking we'd be around 30-34. WTF! Negative. Number 54 & 55. Last release we arrived around same time we were 22 & 23. Was around 140 when doors opened at 1130. Crazy! We just got lucky. I know a lot of peeps were pissed. Next release I guess I'm gonna have to campout Thursday night to get in line earlier. If there is a next time for me. Getting to old for this shit! But Citra is like liquid gold. Maybe one more time.

No growler fills of JO, Class X, Dirty Hippie or Winter Ale. But plenty of bottles of JO n Winter Ale available. Class X is tasting awesome. Also some bottle sharing going on this afternoon. I brought growler of Beachwood BB's newest IPA Amalganator which was enjoyed by some and Kyle. A great afternoon in the Southern Sierras. And a great evening so far. We'll see how tomorrow turns out. Till then. . . .cheers!
    Pzellot and Fightthegdfight like this.
  7. Both.....every year... both!
    dcgunman likes this.
  8. dcgunman

Citra. . . .Dirty Hippie. . . .Citra. . . .
  9. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

Today was the worst release experience I've ever had. Admittedly, I wouldn't have been as pissed if it wasn't in the middle of nowhere and been such a pain in the ass to get to. At least if you strike out in LA, OC or San Diego, there's a million other things to do.

I posted the following open letter on KRBC's FB page. Good luck to those of you going tomorrow. Go early.

evilc, mlobster, Rau71 and 2 others like this.
  10. Thanks. You too. =)

A performance issue wouldn't be the problem since since a kid is on the way, it was more of a I dont quite remember it issue. The wife kindly reminded me the next day about my shenanigans.
  11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Friend up there at 530am is 40th in line. Says spaces ran out at 6am.
  12. dcgunman

It's 8am and Eric just came by and said hello to in line and announced that he will be writing the first 80 persons name down. Front of the line has 7 chairs with only 1 person holding the rest for his friends. His friends better show up soon. Hope today goes a little smoother than yesterday.
  13. dcgunman

Names taken. In the 40's. We're in! Empty chairs missed out. Oh well.
  14. Would have been nice if they did it that way yesterday. When we arrived yesterday we were right at 70, but by the time they actually handed out numbers at 11 we missed out by about 10.

Totally agree on the ego thing.
  15. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

Just DONG the damn thing already.
    jasonmason likes this.
  16. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

Eric from KRBC messaged me to apologize and explain how they intended to improve upon the process in the future. He took the time to go into a lot of detail. I just wanted to pass that along because it's important to know that the brewers are listening and that KRBC wants to improve their future releases.
  17. evilc

DONG or tickets...no other way. Reducing bottle limits is no good because it's a lot of work to get there and people would just bring more mules. Www.brownpapertickets.com baby.

I'd like to see them send kegs out personally.
    heatwaves likes this.
  18. Sisky

Sisky Aficionado (205) California Dec 16, 2012

So it sounds like today went a lot better than Friday. What would you say was the cut-off time of arrival?
  19. evilc

I heard worse from 2 people there.
  20. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Today was much better. Took names around 8am to stop line cutting. Still lots of room for improvement but a step in the right direction.
  21. evilc

Ah - I think he was talking about how early you had to get there, not the line cutting.
    Rau71 likes this.
  22. Sisky

Was talking about the line cutting. I know you would have to get there earlier on the weekend. Don't mind that. Still, would like to figure out about what time to get there to make the cut!
  23. evilc

Friend said it looked pretty bad by 6AM. He texted me @ 5:30 saying he was 40th.
    Rau71 likes this.
  24. Sisky

I saw that, guess it's not what I want to think about. Would have to leave at 2:30 am to get there in time! Not sure if it's worth betting that BAs would prefer to watch football then get citra.
  25. evilc

They'll be showing the game at Kern.

My view is - if you want it on draft - go. If you want bottles - trade for them. Not worth going for bottles.
  26. The out of towners win. I'm a "local" and refuse to do this again. You guys can have your six, twelve, or however many bottles. Granted, a blast was had in line sharing beers and bullshitting with people, but there were far took many folks that felt entitled to bottles because they drove such and such distance. Get over it. Seriously.
    I have no problem coming up in the mide of the day and having it on draft.
    This sums up the lunacy.
    [​IMG]
    Sisky likes this.
  27. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Citra is on point this year...best batch in my opinion! Fell off a bit last year, but this 2013 is da shit!! Get it at Dbl IPA fest if you can, Kyle (the brewer) is super happy with this batch and I concur 1000%, as the hops are fresh as hell and the lupilins are kicking!!
  28. I would have no problem packing this up for DAMO! and ANETTE! and placing it conveniently off to the side for their retrieval. This is not waiting in line.
  29. evilc

What a crock of shit - line placeholders, lol!
  30. 2013: The year that Citra went sour
  31. dgb3

dgb3 Aficionado (150) California Aug 16, 2006

ISO: Citra Sour
  32. dcgunman

Back home to ground zero. Was another awesome but not flawless event. Eric stepped up this morning and annouce that he would be writing down the first 80 names. He would then come back before opening and hand out the first 70 names tickets ensuring 6 bottles when they leave. Fair enough. A good start. There were several empty chairs at the front that seemed unoccupied this morning. Given a 10-15 minute warning that tickets we're going to handed out still a handful empty chairs still remained at 1100am when Eric started calling names. The extra 10 names were in case somebody did not show back on time. Fair. I believe yesterdays events was not pretty. I figured I'd be okay leaving OC at 430am yesterday in getting bottles to go. If I had left 20 minutes later I would not be bringing bottles home. I figured it was going to be worse than last release with only the first 70 garanteed to take citra home. But not this crazy. So hows the next release going to be? Who knows. If I do go again I'm going to have to re think my plans and priorities. This liquid gold Citra is tasting "mighty fine" right now. Was it worth it?

yes. . . . . . .

Thank you Eric, Kyle & KRBC for another wonderful weekend in the southern Sierra's. Oh yes, and the Citra release event. The band rocked the brewery last night.

Thank you to those who I met yesterday and today for bottle shares. Awesome beers from everywhere. That's what makes it all worth the trip to these events. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

cheers!
  33. did somebody seriously set up a fucking chair with a note saying what time they arrived and expected that to count as a spot in line? like they weren't just pissing or grabbing a snack or something?
  34. Make it draught only, no growlers.
    It would last a month, I could plan a camping trip during the time it will be on, go up to the pub for lunch and a few pints, no crowds. I haven't been back up to KRBC during Citra time in 2 years and won't go back for it unless they make it draught only, no growler.
    UnknownKoger, Rocket80 and jasonmason like this.
  35. I actually think that's the best idea yet.
  36. dgb3

dgb3 Aficionado (150) California Aug 16, 2006

It's been draft and bottles for a while now.
  37. If you feel that KRBC is in the middle of nowhere, then I doubt you are a "huge consumer of [their] beer." KRBC's bread and butter are their locals, who keep rhem afloat 6 months of the year when the river isn't running. Eric and Kyle opened the brewery to serve them, and I know for a fact that their beers getting so popular has caused them as many headaches as it has brought them added prosperity. Personally I kind of wish they'd just go to draft-only with their special releases, because you can never make everyone happy.
    dgb3 likes this.
  38. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

So, in other words...

?

Keep it on tap at the brewery for a month and send some kegs to your long time supporters in what ever parts of San Diego they may be. Cut the shit and let people drink your IPA as IPAs are intedned to drink. By the pint after pint. Not split into 3ozs so everyone in your tasting group can have some, and not after having to wake up at 5am and stand in line for hours.
    Oh, and save on all that bottling stuff.
    tjensen3618 likes this.
  39. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Advocate (615) Indiana Jan 14, 2011

Someone needs to boot that chair and note into the nearest dumpster ... not cool :/
    dcgunman likes this.
  40. Best post ever haha
    ehammond1 likes this.