1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Marshall Wharf 16-ounce cans coming this summer!

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by theo871, May 11, 2012.

1. theo871

theo871 Savant (325) Maine Jan 22, 2004

I saw this on their Facebook page a couple of weeks ago, but this article in the Portland Press Herald has some further details. (Look 1/2 way down)

http://www.pressherald.com/life/go/shipyard-adds-heavier-hopped-ipa-to-its-lineup_2012-05-10.html

Marshall Wharf brews some of the best beers in Maine, so I am very excited for this!

mendvicdog and LostTraveler like this.
  2. Chowdahead

Chowdahead Aficionado (235) Maine Jan 26, 2008

I can't wait for this. IMO Marshall Wharf has the best overall beer portfolio in Maine. Allagash has great Belgians, Maine Beer has great hoppy beers, Shipyard has great dishwater but the in terms of consistently high quality across a variety of styles Marshall Wharf is the best.

omniscientcause and MarkF150 like this.
  3. Marshall Wharf is pretty awesome. What beers are they going to can though? Their best beers are their extreme stuff, but they do very interesting session beers as well.

4. theo871

According to a comment on their Facebook wall, they plan to can everything they brew on a rotating basis.

5. Sexy Chaos in a can??? My god...

Snellgg5, jedwards and Rochefort10nh like this.
  6. I
    ^This! I also really enjoyed Wreaking Ball and Deep Purple at the Wharf last summer.

Truh likes this.
  7. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

This is awesome news. I've only tried stouts from Marshall Wharf at Novare Res. Sea Level, Danny McGovern's, Chaos Chaos, Sexy Chaos, Black Angus.

I'm looking forward to being able to go to a beer store and bring some of their beers home with me.

8. Fantastic news! Now I will have quite a variety to put in the kayak on those long coastal camping trips, instead of trying to lug a growler along!

LostTraveler likes this.
  9. I quickly glanced and thought there was a beer called balls deep for a second...

jlordi12 likes this.
  10. Toughcats, please!

11. Jesse14

Jesse14 Savant (255) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2011

Not a bad name for a rock band...

Anyone know who might distribute them. Actually, all I care about is if I will be able to get some in MA.

12. Truh

Truh Savant (435) New Hampshire Nov 8, 2002

Indeed, David and his crew absolutely kill it. Will be seeking these cans out with extreme prejudice.

13. theo871

Maine only for now.

14. rjdacs

rjdacs Initiate (0) May 11, 2012

Hear from Marshall Wharf Brewery owner Dave Carlson in the video from Craft Beer Maine Video Magazine

15. I'm waiting to crush some Umlauts.

16. Thanks for the info from Dave's mouth - very exciting! However, the unemployed film-school grad over-using the pseudo-film effects could tone it down a notch - more annoying than informative.

17. So, it's summer. Are the cans out yet?

18. david3tides

david3tides Aficionado (195) Maine Dec 19, 2006

Cans get produced 7/31. We should see them in Belfast a week later. Factory Rep flown in from Alberta to tweak equipment and train our crew. First run should be out 3rd week of August? Is that still Summer?

Thanks for the interest.

David Carlson
    Marshall Wharf Brewing Co
    Three Tides Waterfront Bar
    Belfast, Maine

ggilman, Bierman9 and theo871 like this.
  19. "Is that still Summer?"

Hard to tell with all the pumpkin and Octoberfest beers coming out now... ;)

Any chance some of your stuff will make it down Boston way?

20. theo871

Giving this a bump because it is finally happening! Here's a post from Marshall Wharf's facebook page:

21. Bier Cellar in Portland sent an email out today stating that they would get the Can't Dog cans in tomorrow (11/14). 16oz cans at $5 a piece.

22. I think we need to remind them that Maine used to be part of MA so...why not extend distro down a bit?

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  23. Chowdahead

Chowdahead Aficionado (235) Maine Jan 26, 2008

If distro is extended down to MA then the $5 per can Maine price will definitely be raised to at least $6-7 in MA resulting in neverending whiney BA threads on how Cant Dog is waaay overpriced compared to Hoponius Union, blah, blah, blah. Do we really want to go down that road?

BierCellar likes this.
  24. If it means good beer for me I could care less.

jfmamj likes this.
  25. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

I heard, at least at first, this is only going to two stores in Portland. So... be patient and enjoy all those other IPAs you already have

26. I can never have enough IPAs...More, more, more. I wont be satisfied till I can have all of the HF/RR/FFF/MBC goodies at my corner store a day after it was bottled.

27. makomakoman

makomakoman Disciple (70) Maine Apr 6, 2011

It is out there. Good beer for sure.

Can't Dog Imperial Pale Ale

tasty

28. theo871

Sipping on one right now, a fantastic DIPA. Super fresh too, canned on 11/9. Great job Marshall Wharf, can't wait to see what's next!
    [​IMG]

DrEntropy and franklinn like this.
  29. $6-7 16 oz cans in Boston? Keep it & enjoy in ME along with MBC. Already enough stale & overpriced beer around here. If I'm ever up in the area I'll give the beer a shot.

30. What a wonderful descriptor of your wildly unnecessary contribution re: YouTube production values in a beer forum...