1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Maruhn in Darmstadt

Discussion in 'Germany' started by CStrife187, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Has anyone here ever been to Maruhn in Darmstadt? The selection they have listed online is impressive for the region, but I have a hard time believing some of it.

http://maruhn.de/bier/ergebnis.php

Can I really go here and pick up some Parabola, Orval, Boon, and Schnieder Hopfenweisse all in one stop? Sounds too good to be true so close to home.
  2. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (455) Germany Jul 31, 2011

I don't know about Parabola, but yep yep yep to your other questions. Awesome beer store, I wish I was either closer or had a car. Slightly pricier than you might find at your local bottle shop but the selection is hard to beat, especially in Germany.

Edit to add: I've never looked closely at their American selections, but I remember only Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, and some BMC stuff. Take the online list with a grain of salt.
  3. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (620) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Been there often. One of the few bottleshops in Germany that has a huge variety of domestic and foreign beers. And yes, they have those beers above that you mentioned. And... it's not in Darmstadt. It's about 15 minutes by autobahn south of there. It's located in Pfungstadt. However, they have a lot of mass-market Fernsehbiere there and some really crap foreign beers. So, it's lots of hits and misses. My main, only problem is that I usually spend over 100€ + every time I go shopping there!
  4. So I ended up going there today and landed me a parabola and the Schneider, but they didn't have Orval. Oh well, more reason to go to Belgium. I was really surprised they also had the Firestone Walker 14th anniversary, which at this point has been out of production for two years unless I'm wrong about something.

They definitely did had a lot of meh to sort through, though.
  5. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (455) Germany Jul 31, 2011

They had lots of Orval (and Rochefort, Chimay, etc) last time I was there, although that was six months ago at this point. The Firestone Walker 14th is for some reason not that hard to find in Germany. The BrauFactum refrigerators have them, and they are all over the place. Did you notice a price tag on it by any chance? I saw it in Mannheim(!!!) once but didn't buy it because it had no tag.

Maruhn's may have a lot of meh, but there are also a lot of good beers to find, too. I'm good for a run up there a few times a year to get something I normally can't find here. Keep them in your Rolodex, you'll be feeling the itch to go back after you fish your local bottle shops and supermarkets dry.

I saw in the Benelux forum that you are going to Westvleteren. I just went from Heidelberg->Aachen->Westvleteren->Chimay last weekend (we broke up the driving for the sake of our 16 month old). Let me know if I can help in any way with your trip!
  6. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (620) Germany Apr 13, 2008

By MEH, you mean German meh or non-German meh? There's a big difference.
  7. There was a lot of mediocre German beer, and it took me a minute to find the good stuff.

The FW14 was 25 Euro.

I was planning on making a visit to Westy and De Struisse in March, but now I'm thinking about visiting them one of the days of the Brugge festival since it's already so close. I just hope they have the three packs at the walk-up window.
  8. einhorn

einhorn Savant (345) California Nov 3, 2005

I believe that Braufactum employs/consults Matt Brynildson, head brewer at Firestone, which may be the connection to the FW beers.