1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Matured hopslam

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by brewtus, Jan 24, 2013.

1. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

I'm trying to decide weather or not to keep an extra 6 pack of
    Hopslam handy but I was wondering how well it holds up. needless to say fresh is better for a IIPA and I know the the higher than average abv will help keep it but how well does it taste after say 4 months or so? Is it worth it or should I just drink it all up or save some for summer?
  2. It doesn't. I find it disgusting with age on it. The fresher the better for me.
    vrbulldog22 likes this.
  3. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

I expect nothing good will every come out of aging Hopslam.

I'm wondering though, what ever happened to that guy (don't recall BA name, think he was from Pennsylvania) who had bought a case in (I think) 2010 and was planning on reporting back every six months (so 12 years). The reports that he did (I think only through 1.5 years, maybe 2 years) were that it was getting progressively worse. I like the way he was conducting it though - very controlled cellaring environment, with bi-annual updates. Anyways, I don't think there's been another update since the forum change a year ago.
  4. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

Funny I was just reading (note I haven't tried) Binny's did a blind taste of this years vs last and only 20% of the people could tell the difference.
  5. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

If you don't drink it within a day or two of bottling it goes completely off the cliff. Drainpour IMHO
  6. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

This has been discussed at least six times recently.
  7. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Yeah. This has been documented repeatedly with every release. Don't do it. Just go buy a barleywine and drink the Slam fresh.
  8. YoDude

YoDude Aficionado (170) Illinois Nov 21, 2008

The hops and honey flavors will not be around more than 6 months. Drink and enjoy now.
  9. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (430) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

1 year old tastes like a buttery cardboard cracker with a hint of hop hidden in the finish.
  10. mocktm

mocktm Savant (365) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

I recently traded for a 4 year vert just for shits and giggles. Will report back after I pop them.
  11. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

What did you trade for it, out of curiosity? I think any Hopslam over 6 months old is pretty much garbage, but it would be good to know the trade value of it, at least.
  12. mocktm

mocktm Savant (365) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

1 Hardywood Sidamo for 2 from each year (8 total). We shall see how it turns out.
  13. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

At a year old, it's awful. At two years, it's drinkable again, but still not what I would call good. It's almost braggot-esque. All you can taste is the sweetness from the honey.
  14. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I don't get any honey after a year, but I do like the beer it evolves into, like a barleywine almost.
  15. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

16. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I guess after a year it would just be Slam right? Get it???
  17. DIPA= better fresh in my experience
  18. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I had accidentally left a bottle of 2012 Hopslam in the back of my fridge last "Hopslam season", I found it this last summer and decided to hang onto it until it had a year on it. Well I got my fresh 6 er of Hopslam last night and did a blind taste test with the fresh and the year old one.

First thing is the smell, it's an absolute give away as the fresh 'slam' has all the strong aroma it should while the year old one was very flat smelling with not a lot going on. The taste of the 2 are night and day of course (the fresh being superior), although I really thought the year old one would be one drink and then I would want to spit it out (I didn't). It was very malty and bready with no hops, no honey, the warm alcohol had died down in it as well. It was almost like a malt forward, bready lower alcohol tasting IPA.

That's what I got out of mine anyway, I wouldn't want to leave one in the fridge again anytime soon.
  19. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

As with most to all IPAs, the hoppiness dies over time. I have had fresh Hopslam and shelved Hopslam and will say the fresher the better. Kind of a no-brainer... if you're gonna spend the $$ on this stuff..drink fresh!!
  20. I think if you're not gonna drink it fresh, you should age it much, much longer than this summer. My only basis for saying that is that Bigfoot & Celebration are kinda clumsy with only a little time on them, but after several years, many people really like what they transition into.

I have single bottle of Hopslam in one of my fridges that is 3 years old. Who knows when I'll crack it open.
  21. Matured = OLD.

Drink hoppy beer fresh!
  22. Ye
    This freshness joke is really getting old.
  23. Def drink fresh. Had a week old n year old. N like night and day