1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Maximum Users per conversation thread

Discussion in 'Site' started by jisom123, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jisom123

jisom123 Savant (330) Indiana Aug 21, 2008

Is there a max? I can't find the "add participant" button any longer. We have about 24 participants. Thanks.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

25 is the current max.
  3. jisom123

jisom123 Savant (330) Indiana Aug 21, 2008

Is there a way to remove ex-participants? We have 5 in the list. Thanks.
  4. Todd

Yes. I just enabled it. The conversation owner can now mouseover the avatars of participants and "kick" them from the conversation.
    jmgrub, AgentZero and MarkIntihar like this.
  5. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

It seems as though you can 'kick' everyone except the people who have left permanently (and yourself). We'll see if jisom has the same problem.
  6. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

If you look at the web address for kicking people, you can figure out how to kick the ex-participants.

Edit: But when trying to add new people, you may run into a problem (the kicked users are still in the list):

7. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Has anyone found a solution for this? Is there a way to completely remove someone from the conversation so that a new person can take their place?

Any possibility to raise the limit on maximum participants?
    AgentZero and dvelcich like this.
  8. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I've been preaching this for years. It would be awesome for organizing tastings, big BIFs, and generally keeping in touch with the friends you've made here. They always worry about spammers, but if they upped it to 50, I can't imagine that would be the thing that would invite them to start coming here.
  9. Todd

It appears to be a known issue (for some) with the software, but necessarily viewed as a bug. No solution at this time.
    Not at this time, nor would this ultimately solve the issue.
  10. Todd

We're not worried about your typical spammer. It's people in the industry who have abused this in the past.
  11. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

Some friends and I are running into problems with the private messaging system because of the 25 person limit on people participating in the conversation.

It would be really helpful if that limit could be doubled or perhaps removed entirely.

The setting is under User Group settings, "Maximum conversation recipients."

Thanks!
    dvelcich and chrisbokmuller like this.
  12. Todd

Yeah, I think we know where the settings are. ;) We've just opted to not raise them.

(Merged your thread into this one.)
    RyanMM likes this.
  13. RyanMM

Thanks, I missed this the first time around. Glad we're not the only ones running into this issue.

I know you're worried about abuse and increased moderation needs, but what would be the harm in upping it for a trial period and seeing how it works out? It can always be reverted if there are reports of abuse.
    dvelcich likes this.
  14. Todd

We've been there before and had to deal with the abuse.
  15. Moderation? Why on earth would private conversations need to be moderated?
    RyanMM likes this.
  16. Because of jerks like me!;)
    Retail1LO likes this.
  17. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Can I ask when? I've been here for five years, and it's always been a 25 person limit as far as I can remember. I'm only asking because the trial period seems like a completely reasonable request, especially with the new web design going on. This is the perfect time to experiment with things like that before the change over to the new format.
    RyanMM likes this.
  18. Todd

It was a while back. People started reporting stores/bars for spamming groups of regional users with specials and whatnot.

I guess we could give it a try ...
    RyanMM likes this.
  19. Todd

Sometimes people receive spam or abusive messages. They report it. Not overly shocking as it eventually happens on every site that has a PM system.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  20. kscaldef

We have Facebook for that now, right? ;)
    RyanMM likes this.
  21. Todd

True. Their 250 limit makes is great for spamming smaller groups of people.
    benjaminahudson likes this.
  22. Todd

Quick question for the thread. Would 50 do it?
  23. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Savant (250) Indiana Feb 8, 2009

I think 50 would be fine!
    marine1975 likes this.
  24. RyanMM

Yeah, 50's a pretty good number.
  25. kscaldef

50 seems like a good number to try.
  26. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

50 would be great. Very helpful!
  27. That would be a great start. I don't think a cap is unreasonable, but I know of plenty of groups that were capped in participation only because the site didn't support it; not for lack of participation. FWIW, I like how this single page has gone from talking about the "issue", you providing historical information, readers making requests, you entertaining said requests, and now hopefully an increase. Way to listen to your users! I hope it gets implemented, and subsequently, that it doesn't get abused.
    dvelcich, RyanMM, davey101 and 2 others like this.
  28. Todd

Update: New max is 50. Upped the time to edit your own Conversation to 15 mins; like forum posts.

Enjoy!
    LoPo87, libbey, mjohnson17 and 12 others like this.
  29. Thanks!!
  30. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Thank you Todd!
  31. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Aficionado (190) Michigan Jul 21, 2008

Thank you! We organize large BA tastings that often exceed 25 people and this helps us make it easier to keep every one in the loop!
    benjaminahudson and RyanMM like this.
  32. For personal reasons I think the new limit should be 100 since the Super Bowl Squares LIF/BIF is getting ready to start. Seriously though, thanks for allowing me to only start two threads at the end instead of four - I think 50 is a very reasonable number.
    dvelcich and benjaminahudson like this.