1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Max's Hop Fest

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by DrBier, Aug 5, 2013.

1. DrBier

DrBier Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jun 12, 2011

MAX’S HOPFEST

AUGUST 16-18, 2013

11am-2am each day

No entrance fee

We will have over 70 Hoppy Draft and over 70 hoppy Bottles

CASKS:

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Motueka

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Galaxy

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Strisselspalt

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Golding

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Nelson Sauvin

Flying Dog Double Dog

Flying Dog Imperial Sorachi Ace

Plus a few other Casks…………………………………………………….

ON DRAFT-90%DONE

21st Amendment Hop Crisis

Agullons Pura pale

Aztec Sacrifice Red IPA

Aztec Chipotle IPA

Baird Suruga Bay Imperial IPA

Ballast Point Dorado

Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin

Bear Republic Racer 5000

Bear Republic Black Racer

Bear Republic Crazy Ivan

Bear Republic Grand Am

Burley Oak Bulletproof Tiger

Burley Oak Aboriginal Gangster

Buxton Imperial Black IPA

Crown Valley Wooden Nickel IPA

Crown Valley Gunslinger Imperial IPA

Dieu Du Ciel Penombre

Dog/Baying Hound Scratch N Sniff White IPA

Dogfish Head 120 Minute

Dugges High Five

Elysian Konishiki

Evolution Incubator

Flying Dog Double Dog (Nitro)

Flying Dog Doggie Style (Nitro)

Flying Dog Raging Bitch(Nitro)

Flying Dog Snake Dog (Nitro)

Flying The Truth

Great Divide Rumble

Green Flash Hop Odyssey Citra Session

Green Flash Imperial IPA

Green Flash West Coast IPA

Haandbryggeriet Belgisk Pale

Heavy Seas Big DIPA

Kerkom Hop Verdomme

Lancaster Boss Hog

Lervig Rye IPA

Maine Mo

Marina Costa Brava

Marina Devils IPA

Marina pale Ale

Mikkeller/Lervig Big Eye

Mikkeller 20

Midifyns Double IPA

Oxbow Farmhouse Pale

Schlalfy Hoppy Wheat

Sierra Nevada West Coast IPA

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum

Sierra Nevada Belgian Black IPA

Smuttynose/Stone Cluster Last Stand

Smuttynose Dirty

Stone Coconut IPA

Stone 17th Anniversary

Stone Ruination tropical heat

Struise Hopverdomme

Struise Motuecha

Terrapin Monks Revenge

Troegs Scratch 97

Trou Du Diable Morsure

Toccalmatto B Space Invader

Toccalamtto Re Hop

Toccalmatto Skizoid

Toccalmatto Zona

Toccalmatto Grooving hop

To Ol Dangerously Close to Stoopid

Union Farmhouse Double IPA

Yards Cape of Good Hope

Plus a few other Drafts……………………………………………………..

Nice draft list, looking forward to rhe Union DIPA & the SN West Coast IPA and the Dangerously Close Too Stoppid is really good, bottle list on the website. See ya there.
  2. I talked to Jamie yesterday and asked what the coolest beer they were gonna have was. He said Mikkeller 1000 IBU and mentioned some Spanish beer I can't remember. Don't think I'll be able to make it unfortunately.
    BaltimoreBeerGuy likes this.
  3. scraff

scraff Aficionado (235) Maryland Apr 18, 2003

That's my kind of lineup! I'm in and ready to destroy my palate.
  4. so how is the crowd expected, never been, is it gonna be a mad zoo, was thinking of making the trip down from jersey,
  5. DrBier

Fri & Sat after 5 it will be loud and crowded no matter what's happening. Fri daytime and all day Sun will be the best times to enjoy all the beers comfortably. Because these fests run open to close for 3 days, other than 72 Hrs, major crowds for the Fests aren't usually a big issue. Hope you make it, I know you'll enjoy.
  6. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

DrBier's post is pretty much spot on. As these things go, the hopfest isn't crazy popular, at least not in comparison to 72 hours, the German beer fest, and their Rare & Obscure festival. That being said, Max's is Max's, and they pretty much always get a good size crowd on Friday and Saturday evenings. Personally, I wouldn't want to stop by Max's on Friday and Saturday night, even if the Hopfest wasn't taking place that weekend.

As DrBier suggested, try to stop by early on Friday (even early Saturday shouldn't be TOO awful) or any time Sunday. It used to be that Sundays were a bad day to go, simply because Max's would run out of stuff, and the leftovers weren't all that exciting. However, they now tend to spread things out over the entire weekend, so even on Sunday the selection should be pretty awesome.

One last comment.... just my two cents on this, but I was struck by the fact that I didn't see any FW or Bruery beers on the list, nor do I see any Racer X, regular sculpin or lunch. The line-up is still very strong, and who knows, those beers may yet show up on the list, but IMHO, this is not one of the stronger hopfest line-ups I've seen at Max's.
  7. How many years this been goin' on?
  8. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Belgian and German lineups, but this list didn't excite me. Actually, the idea of a "hop fest" doesn't really excite me. How many beers can you try before they all taste the same? That being said, I'm sure Max's will put on an excellent event.
  9. John_M

3 or 4 now I think?

Over the years, Max's has expanded their festival schedule, primarily as a result of their popular and very successful 72 hours of Belgium. They used to do a Christmas in August event as well, but I don't think that was ever all that successful, so they now have the hopfest to take its place. If memory serves, they later added on the German beer fest and the American Craft beer festival, and after those turned out to be a big success, I think they then added the Italian beer fest, the hopfest, the rare and obsure fest, the annual holiday beer social, and of course the various events they put on during Baltimore Beer week.

Other than the X-mas in August event, all the other festivals have, I believe, been QUITE popular. The hopfest, I believe, is one of the more recent festivals there (if memory serves).
  10. I love Maxs on a Tuesday evening but I'm old with kids.

11. They had a fresh 1000 IBU on tap for Rare & Obscure and it was ridiculous. Loved it!
  12. I can't wait. So far, I have been to the Rare & Obscure, their week-long ACBW event, and now this. I missed out on the Christmas in July (small selection of which I knew none of them except for I wanted to try their vertical of Mikkeller's Santa's Little Helper) and the Italian Beer Fest (of which I knew pretty much none of them). My only issue with the regional fests like the 72 Hours of Belgium and German Beer Fests are that I pretty much know none of the beers, except for just a few breweries and beers, so it is harder for me to get excited and I have to do a lot more research to know what I should get.
  13. I should be there tomorrow around 3. What is everyone looking forward to?
  14. DrBier

Max's is the place and these fest's are for exploration and expanding your palate. Looking forward to the Bear Rebublic Racer 5000 & Crazy Ivan, the Evolution Incubator #2, Union DIPA and of course Maine Lunch to name just a few. If you enjoyed the 1000 IBU don't miss the Mikkeller 20. Will be there tomorrow lunch and afternoon, will be wearing Hop Attack tee probably sitting at far end of bar away from front door.
  15. John_M

Which is exactly the reason to go! I've been to roughly 10 72 hours now and 3 German fests. Like you, when I first started attending, I didn't recognize more than a handfull of beers and breweries on the menu. Over time I've learned a lot, but every year, there's always a dozen or so new beers that I know nothing about and am excited to try. IMHO, that's exactly what makes these festivals soooooooooo fun. I frequently get to try beers that I've never seen or heard of before, and often times, never see or hear about afterwards.
  16. DrBier

Couple of my highlights. Loving the new push for flavorful lower ABV IPAs and the Toccalmatto Grooving Hop and the Green Flash Hop Odyssey Citra Session fit the bill nicely. At the other end Struise HopVerdomme came in at 15% with no alc burn, not overly sweet or malty, one of the best high ABV IPAs I've had. Somewhere in the middle was Stone 17th Anniv. Surprise bottle of the day was Bad Attitude White IPA, lots of funk. Racer 5000 and Mikkeller 20 were somewhat disappinting. Looking forward to round 2.
    gillagorilla likes this.
  17. I enjoyed Flying Dog Imperial Sorachi Ace, Burley Oak Bulletproof Tiger and Evil Twin Justin Blabear.
  18. This. Highlight of the day for new.

19. They have Evil Twin Justin Blåbær? Bottles?
  20. on tap
  21. DrBier

See what happens, all that Double Sunshine & HT distracted you from the "regular" list. Thanks for ur contribution, the CC Cucumber Saison was awesome and a perfect change of pace. Thanks to Brewce also. As always super props to the man Casey for all his hard work, and the best staff in the industry. Nothing but a great time with great beer and folks at Max's. Going to be doing a great night of barrel aged Olivers stuff on Tues, see ya then. Hopped out!
  22. Had it and it was quite good.

I'll have to drop by Tuesday then if I can. The DS & HT sure as hell distracted me. Met lots of cool new people and had beers I didn't think I would have for a long time. Glad to share and have a good time. Thanks again for the Scratch 98.