1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

May 17 to 20 2013: Fest der 100 Biere

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Stahlsturm, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

actually has 352 different beers and counting. It's taking place in s place called Wolkering a few miles south of Regensburg and is a complete bast. The wife and I were there in 2011 and 2012 and we've had heaps of fun. It's very regional with almost only local people attending. Highly recommended to anyone of you who might be in the general area around that time.

Beerlist for 2013 (so far): http://www.festder100biere.de/bierliste_2012.pdf

Some pics from past fests to give you all an idea:
    http://www.festder100biere.de/bilder/2011 - Bilder vom Fest/pic71.jpg
    http://www.festder100biere.de/bilder/2011 - Bilder vom Fest/pic72.jpg
    http://www.festder100biere.de/bilder/2011 - Bilder vom Fest/pic20.jpg
    http://www.festder100biere.de/bilder/2011 - Bilder vom Fest/pic52.jpg
    http://www.festder100biere.de/bilder/2011 - Bilder vom Fest/pic49.jpg
    http://www.festder100biere.de/bilder/2011 - Bilder vom Fest/pic61.jpg

2. cu29

cu29 Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Sep 26, 2005

This looks great.
    Are the dates correct, a Friday through a MONDAY?
    I plan to be in town that Saturday and Sunday. Seems like an easy way to try alot of beers from the area.

3. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

So Stahlsturm, how many of these did you try? And did each Pils/Weißbier/Bock/etc. really taste that different from each other?

And are you in any of those pics?

Finally, they do know it's 2013, don't they?

4. Stahlsturm

We were 3 last year and I brought 2 extra cups so we would buy a bottle and split it. That way even I as the designated driver got to try a total of 12 beers. We mostly tried Märzen because it's both my and my wife's favourite style and though our selection was rather random, I basically picked what I had not had before and looked interesting, without any prior knowledge or research they mostly did taste rather different. Not all were perfect of course but that's the nature of such a tasting, is it not ? :)

Nope, I don't think so. My wife took pictures but I have no idea where they went. I haven't checked all pics though so I might be in there somewhere. If you see a biker looking kind of dud with a Metal shirt, a 10" goatee and hair down to his ass, that's me :)

They do, hahaha. They have a german speaking FB group that actually IS updated. Try searching for that, it's run by the guy who organizes the fest.

5. Stahlsturm

The dates would work because that Monday is a holiday in Bavaria.

6. cu29

Is there a cost to get in to the fest? Is beer included, or do you pay for each bottle as you go? Bringing extra cups to divide up the beer is an excellent idea, by the way. And what are the hours of the fest? I couldn't find any of this information on their website! (or facebook)

I am so used to the beer fests here in Wisconsin where you pay a single amount, usually $30-$45, and it gets you unlimited sampling for 4-5 hours. Pours can range from 2-3 ounces up to a full (pint) glass. I always ask for a smaller amount so that I can sample a lot of beers.....

Cheers, H!

7. Stahlsturm

They have all the beer in an impressive front of coolers along the bar. All beers are sold per bottle for a flat price of 2.50 EUR and you can do with it whatever you want. Between the 3 of us we tasted (I think) 15 different beers. The organiser sat on our table for a while last year and thought the idea with cups was great too. After all the idea is to try out a lot of stuff you usually can't get your hands on because it's all small regional breweries and much of that stuff isn't sold further away from the brewery than 15 km.

The hours of the fest I actually don't quite recall. I wonder why... :p I remember we were there too early the first day because we showed at 2 pm and they wouldn't open until 4 pm. They will probably post exact times before the fest but they certainly are open from 6 pm to midnight and longer if people will stay. They'll just stop the music and close the barn doors so the neighbours (the few who aren't at the fest anyways) won't get annoyed.

8. cu29

The hours of the fest have been announced.
    Friday and Saturday from 6pm.
    Sunday and Monday from 10am.

9. Stahlsturm

So, are you coming then ?

10. cu29

I would be disappointed to be in Regensburg and NOT make it to the festival.

I'll be there! We (our group) are not sure what day yet.....but we are already discussing adding a day to our time in Regensburg, from 2 days to 3.......

11. Stahlsturm

12. cu29

Do you think the Regensburg Mai Dult will have the same bier selection as the Fest der 100 Bier?? :p

I also plan on attending the Mai Dult. I am guessing there will be a heck of a contrast between the Dult and the Fest der 100 Bier! But I look forward to both.

13. Stahlsturm

You KNOW it won't... :p The Regensburger Dult is fuelled by breweries from the town of Regensburg exclusively. Do you really think there's a snowball's chance in Hell they'll ever ease up on that ? It's a significant factor in their yearly revenue after all.

14. Stahlsturm

So... Anyone from here planning on showing up ?

15. Is it possible to get to the fest with public transportation? I met one of the organizers in Bamberg last year and some friends have gone many times (they do the camping thing -- me, I like indoor plumbing :) )

16. Stahlsturm

There's a train station in Bad Abbach, from there to Wolkering it should be about 10 km walking or a short cab ride. There might be buses too coming out from Regensburg.
    To be honest, I'm not very familiar with public transportation because I never use it.

17. cu29

It is looking like we will visit the Fest der 100 Biere on Sunday May 19. Saturday the 18 will most likely be devoted to visiting a couple of breweries, and then hitting the Dult later in the day/evening.

18. Stahlsturm

Any names you'd like to drop ? :)

19. cu29

Here are the names......
    Plank
    Goss
    Eichhofener
    Since they are all on the Agilis line, it seems to make sense! We will most likely hit Plank first and then work our way back toward Regensburg.

20. Stahlsturm

If the weather is nice, hike through the valley. Walking up and down from pub to railway stations each time will amount in almost the same distance anyways and it's MUCH nicer.

I also found another article about the Fest Der 100 Biere on a local newssite:
    http://www.blizzaktuell.de/default.aspx?ID=4609&showNews=1291829

cu29 likes this.
  21. cu29

Excellent point. I checked google maps, and the route from Laaber to Deuerling to Nittendorf is all of 7.4 km (4.5 miles). It says it can be walked in 1.5 hrs total. Not bad. And then we wouldn't have to concern ourselves with the train schedule at all. Good advice, thanks.

I hope you can meet us at some point during our visit, whether on the above brewery sampling, the volksfest, or the Fest der 100 Biere! But sadly, our discussions of adding a day to our Regensburg visit fell through, so we are stuck with our originally planned two day visit. :(

22. Stahlsturm

You're welcome :)

We'll see. Is it still 18th + 19th of May that you'll be here ?

23. Stahlsturm

Tomorrow !
    *slurp*

24. boddhitree

Have fun! Are you going to give us a report?

25. Stahlsturm

I will. :) Not likely I'll be in the mood for a detailed report though.

26. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Ever? Or just the day after? :D

27. Stahlsturm

Ever.

28. steveh

Long moods. :D

29. Stahlsturm

I just don't see the point in reviews. I'll sure let you know if it was good or crappy organisation-wise but beer is something that needs to be smelled and tasted. No review ever even comes close to describing properly what one is going to taste anyways so why bother ?

Anyways, here's the list of available beers for 2013 with 400 entries:
    http://www.festder100biere.de/includes/media/bierliste_2013.pdf

Which ones should I give a shot considering that my favourite styles are Dunkel and Märzen and I don't particularly like Weissbier and I get a raging headache from overly hoppy beers ?

30. steveh

I honestly think that's all we were expecting.

That list is too long to start cherry-picking what you "should" drink. It's probably why I don't hit beer fests anymore, sensory overload (another reason I kid about reviewing beers at a fest: impossible).

If you want to use my method, observe the direction of the flow of attendees, move in the opposite direction -- enjoy! ;)

herrburgess likes this.
  31. Stahlsturm

Well, that approach won't work here because you pick a beer according to the list (by number) and then go to the central counter and get / pay your bottle there. Moving away from the crowd would mean moving away from the counter which would mean, no beer for poor thirsty me.
    Well, I printed out the list and by simply eliminating breweries I already know and styles I don't really care for narrowed it down to a list of about 20. Still too much for one day but it's going 4 days so... :D Plus, we're 4 people this time and we'll buy bottles in turn and then split through 4. That way I get to try a lot of stuff, even as the designated driver.

32. boddhitree

Hey, I did it! :p And I plan on doing it at Festival der Bierkulturen in Köln later this month (May 25 or 26, off the top of my head). Simple: have paper, pen, brain. Drink, think, write, repeat. By doing this, it really helped me focus on what I was drinking. However, at the end, yes, my taste buds and brain were on overload. Luckily, we plan on going out after the Fest to watch BVB kill the evil empire, I mean Bayern München.

33. steveh

Well that's certainly a different way to run a beer fest. All I've been to have the breweries at separate tables and the crowd meanders from booth to booth sampling the wares.

I have to say that the Regensburg method seems like it would run smoother -- that is, if the attendees recognize the "queue" and stand in line to wait their turn. I couldn't believe how many times I saw that ignored when I was in Europe (Switzerland, mostly).

34. steveh

I tried it once, some years ago at one of my first fests. The trouble is the sampling sizes usually poured and palate cleansing in-between. After a few beers, the palate is toast to picking out the finer nuances.

35. Stahlsturm

So, yesterday we've had:

Adler Bräu Stettfeld - Bärentrunk +4
    Aktienbrauerei Kaufbeuren - Fendt Erntegold +3 #1
    Camba Bavaria Truchtlingen - Dunkel +4
    Dampfbierbrauerei Zwiesel - Schmelzer Hoibe +2 #2
    Meinel Bräu Hof - Dark Lager +1 #3
    Ottenbräu Abensberg - Pfingstfestbier +3 #1
    Pöllinger Pfeffenhausen - Braunbier +4
    Pyraser Landbrauerei - Rotbier +1 #2 -1
    Ritter St. Georg Nennslingen - Red Ale +4
    Robesbierre Bamberg - Kellerpils +3 #1
    Röhrl Brüu Straubing - 1881 Festbier #4
    Schwendl Trachtering - Schalchner 5-Korn #3 -1
    Sigwart Weißenburg - Hell +2 #2
    Würth Windischeschenbach - Dunkler Zoigl +1 -3

14 down, 386 to go for tonight :D
    We were 4 people and we rated in 3 grades, Plus (*), Neutral (#) and Minus (-). I can specify my personal grades on the above list if anyone cares.

boddhitree likes this.
  36. Yea, would love specifics on your "grades" as many of the beers you chose would have been my picks as well.

37. Stahlsturm

Alrighty, here you go....
    Adler Bräu Stettfeld - Bärentrunk +4
    Camba Bavaria Truchtlingen - Dunkel +4
    Pöllinger Pfeffenhausen - Braunbier +4
    Ritter St. Georg Nennslingen - Red Ale +4
    ... kinda self explanatory since we all liked it :)

Aktienbrauerei Kaufbeuren - Fendt Erntegold +3 #1
    I was the neutral vote here. It wasn't bad, it was just an uneventful beer.
    Dampfbierbrauerei Zwiesel - Schmelzer Hoibe +2 #2
    Neutral. This and the above one were hardly distinguishable in their mediocricy actually.
    Sigwart Weißenburg - Hell +2 #2
    Neutral again. Those 3 tasted almost identical and for some weird reason we bought those 3 back to back so it was a not really pleasant Deja-Vu, twice over.

Meinel Bräu Hof - Dark Lager +1 #3
    Ottenbräu Abensberg - Pfingstfestbier +3 #1
    Two times plus from me although I considered a neutral vote on the Meinel simply because of the stupid anglicism. But then, it's about beer, not the packaging.

Pyraser Landbrauerei - Rotbier +1 #2 -1
    Robesbierre Bamberg - Kellerpils +3 #1
    Two times neutral from me. The Rotbier was not as exciting as I had hoped and the Kellerpils was good for it's style but simply not the kind of beer I'd enjoy. I'd be curious what Tony would think about it, he'd probably rank it higher.

Röhrl Brüu Straubing - 1881 Festbier #4
    Nice but not very exciting

Schwendl Trachtering - Schalchner 5-Korn #3 -1
    We bought that by accident as it turned out to be a Weissbier which we all are not really fond of. I expected something special at least because of the 5-Korn name but it was just boring. The Minus is from my wife, she really hates Weizen, hahaha.

Würth Windischeschenbach - Dunkler Zoigl +1 -3
    Everone hated it but I thought it was great. I guess they just aren't Zoigl drinkers, haha. The only beer that actually polarized.

38. Stahlsturm

And of course we went back for 2nds and 3rds although this time it was mostly just the wife and me so for the following list there's only 2 votes each.

On Saturday we had:
    Autenrieder Ichenhausen - Urtyp Dunkel +2
    Bärenbräu Holzheim-Neuhausen - Römer Türmle Märzen +2
    Bürgerbräu Bad Reichenhall - Alpenstoff +1 #1
    - Cheryl liked it while I thought it was kinda so-so. Not bad but uneventful, given the competition.
    Dimpflbräu Furth Im Wald - Cave Gladium Dunkel +2
    Engelbräu Rettenberg /Allgäu - Jubiläumsbier +2
    Schlossbrauerei Fuchsberg - Dr. Eisenbarth Spezial +2
    - I'd have given that a higher rating if our system would've allowed it. VERY yummy Dark Beer.
    Günther Bräu Burgkunstadt - Bernstein Lager +2
    Hell Bräu Altötting - Pilgerbier +2
    Kaiser Grasmannsdorf - Pils +2
    Lang Bräu Schönbrunn - Rauchbier +2
    Leidmann Unterneukirchen - Burschenbier - 2
    - The only actual stinker we hit. Extremely bland and boring. This one was like a discounter beer... *blah*
    Mühlbauer Arnschwang - Edel Hell +2
    Nothaft Marktredwitz - Hell +1 #1
    - Mine was the neutral rating. It wasn't bad at all but I've had better Hell before and after that very day.
    Pöllinger Pfeffenhausen - Pils -2
    - That was an odd one, we've had their Braunbier the day before and it was really tasty but this Pils was a big disappointment. Too much hops upfront and a very puke worthy aftertaste. Avoid.
    Storchenbräu Pfaffenhausen - Bayrisch Hell +2

Not a bad hunt for one day, eh ? :D We were not even planning on going again on Sunday but they had avertised "Spanferkel" (Roast piglet) so at 10 am we start looking at each other and decide we wanted to go anyways and those are the beers. We couldn't stay very long (Only 2 hours) because we were invited to a birthday party and they wouldn't come to the beer fest.

Private Landbrauerei Schönram - Hell +2
    Ustersbacher - Edel Export +1 #1
    - I'm the neutral rating. It wasn't bad but just didn't hit the spot.
    Wochinger Traunstein - Export Hell +2
    Wolferstetter Vilshofen #2
    Zehender Mönchsambach - Lager +2