1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

May Trip to Germany - BA Assistance Requested

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kspringman, Jan 12, 2013.

1. kspringman

kspringman Disciple (55) Minnesota Jun 26, 2011

Hey fellow BAs!

A friend and I are looking at a short trip this May to Germany to explore small towns, eat wurst and drink some damn fine beer!

We are interested to know if any BAs are aware of any tour services, guides or interested BAs that would be willing to take us around to a few spots out of the way of most traditional tourist itineraries and provide us some translation help given we don’t speak German. IP trades can also be arranged for helpful BAs. :)

Specifically we are looking to tour a few smaller, local (preferably with English tours or a well stocked tap room/bar) outside one of the larger cities in Germany. We will be flying from the US, but our destination city is open to suggestion. We only have 3-4 days, so we’d like to keep it to a localized area that is easy to travel within. We have both been to Munich previously.

Appreciate any help or location / brewery suggestions our expert BAs can suggest!

-- Kyle

2. cu29

cu29 Aficionado (215) Wisconsin Sep 26, 2005

Since you have been to Munich and are perhaps a bit familiar with it, maybe it would be easiest to hit some of the small brewing towns on the S-bahn lines or take a regional train for an hour or so to some brewing towns.

Some beer towns on the S-bahn line include Aying, Erding, Altomümster, Herrsching (Andechs), Grafing, Maisach, and Freising.

Some other towns in the region include Augsburg, Rosenheim, and many many others.

Of course, you could go to Bamberg and spend your whole time there and in nearby brewing towns.

If you don't already have the following books, you may want to pick them up for some fun research:

"The Beer Drinkers Guide to Munich" for some beer garden and beer hall ideas. http-::www.beerdrinkersguide.com:

For the Bamberg (Franconia) area, "Brauns Brauerei Atlas Franken" for brewery information, and for beer gardens you should get "Frankens Schönste Bierkeller und Biergärten".
    http-::www.brauereiatlas.de:index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=1

http-::www.amazon.com:Frankens-sch%C3%B6nste-Bierkeller-Bierg%C3%A4rten-B%C3%83%C2%B6ttner:dp:3936897824

And perhaps most importantly, buy the "Good Beer Guide Germany" for info on most of Germany's breweries. This book came out in 2006, and so it is a bit outdated. However, its companion website is pretty up to date, and can be viewed here: http-::www.german-breweries.com:

kspringman likes this.
  3. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

Kyle, your 3 obvious choices at this point are Regensburg, Amberg and Bamberg. All 3 are big enough to provide the comforts (and the rich history) of a Bavarian city, all have multiple breweries inside the town, all have multiple more breweries in the direct vicinity, all are international enough to have plenty of people who have an at least passing knowledge of English, all are aesy to reach from München Airport. Pick one and we'll take it from there :)

I'm born and live near Regensburg BTW.

4. It is only a short period of time before HerrBurgess will chime in with his recommendation to visit Bamburg: the brewing capital of the world!

Don’t forget to visit the Schlenkerla Brewery Tavern. It is mandatory to drink three mass krugs of Schlenkerla Marzen beers in a row!!;)

I can’t wait for my "send Jack to Schlenkerla" fund to come to fruition. That will be a sweet time!

Cheers!

5. Wait...who's on first?

We need to work on our Schtick, Jack! First you're supposed to chime in about how SE Pennsylvania offers German beers comparable if not superior in quality and freshness to anything available in Germany. Then I come in with the -- wait

...or do I start with my prescription of 3 Seidla (half liter Willibecher! c'mon, get in the ballgame!) at Schlenkerla and then you sneak in the Philly recommendations like that Sly Fox you are...? ;)

Seriously, though, if you are considering Bamberg, make this your first stop http://www.bierregion-franken.de/Bambergferien/D/english.html. I know Frank Wetzel and that dude loves Schlenkerla and Franconian beer as much as -- if not more than! -- I do. Apartment is strategically located right up the street from the tavern in a quiet little alley.

6. Since kspringman has the wherewithal (vacation time and big bucks) to travel to Germany we should collectively celebrate the moment.:)

And where does this “3 Seidla” crap come from? Drink mass, man! Go big or go home!!

I really like you recommendation for accommodations. It comes with: “Bedclothes and towels are included.” It doesn’t get better than that!?! Oh yeah, it would be better if you got one free mass krug of Schlenkerla Marzen per night of stay!!;)

Prost!

P.S. I have never advocated the “superior” part of “SE Pennsylvania offers German beers comparable if not superior in quality and freshness …” but I have indeed advocated that the SE breweries of Victory, Sly Fox, Troegs, Stoudt’s, etc. do make quality German style beers using quality German ingredients and they are very fresh for us U.S. based beer drinkers.

7. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Advocate (515) Germany Jul 31, 2011

If Mr. Horzempa does go to Bamberg, someone please let me know, I'd like to be in on that. Please note, I would not like to contribute to the fund, I just want to meet the guy;) . However...(and HB correct me if I'm wrong)...you will not find a Maßkrug at Schlenkerla, or anywhere else in Bamberg as far as I know. Touristy though Schlenkerla may be, the Maßkrug is normally reserved for the uber-tourist places in Germany like the Hofbräuhaus and anywhere in Heidelberg. Shlenkerla's largest serving, from what I remember, is the standard 500 ml. That said, I enjoyed their beers from Siedla #1, I don't understand that 3-beer-minimum business.

I once recently stayed in the hotel across the street from Schlenkerla (alt-Ringlein). They had a few Bamberg beers in their mini-bar for something like €2,70 each, which is not bad in and of itself, and a ridiculous bargain when you consider normal mini-bar pricing. I remember laughing all about it while in my 2'x2' shower stall.

Cheers!

8. “I would not like to contribute to the fund”:(

“.you will not find a Maßkrug at Schlenkerla”:(

Boy oh boy, this fund raiser to Schlenkerla is starting to sound like a bad idea!:(

But, if is stay at the apartment Wetzel at least I will find complementary bedclothes; at least I have that going for me!:)

Prost!

9. Frank is pretty hardcore. Ran into him at Schlenkerla back in June. He had just taken a (by-then catatonic) Chicagoan on a brewery tour out in the country where they had visited, I believe, 14 different places in one day. They were finishing up in Schlenkerla with a nightcap (or 4). I'm fairly certain the Chicagoan was in need of a change of bedclothes after that marathon....

cu29 likes this.
  10. “I believe, 14 different places in one day …”

Was the Chicogoan drinking those pansy Seidla beers or was he going Maßkrug? Like I said before: go big or go home! That’s what I’m talking about!:)

Prost!

11. Stahlsturm

Guess I beat him to it this time... :p

12. kspringman

kspringman Disciple (55) Minnesota Jun 26, 2011

Great suggestions all! Thank you!! I've been looking at Bamberg - you guys have definitely convinced me - and I'm also looking at Regensburg. Any recommendations of places to check out there?

13. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Kneitinger which has a great brewery tap and Spital which has a wonderful beer garden close to the river. On a week-long trip to Bavaria last year the best meal I had was in Spital.

14. If you only have 3 or 4 days, AND (notice all caps) you haven't been before, the right answer is 2 nights Bamberg, 2 Nights Munich. If you've been before, then that opens all sorts of possibilities. But, damn those are going to be 4 WILD nights....if you are doing it right.

15. Stahlsturm

I used to have a list with links of all the places around here... Guess it's time to compile a new one. In Regensburg proper there are 3 full breweries (Bischhofshof, Kneitinger and Spital) and 2 brewpubs (Regensburger Weißbräuhaus and "Thurn Und Taxis") that all have really nice beer gardens and pubs. You can do all these on a day and as a matter of fact, on a nice summer day the wife and I have been doing our own personal "Regensburg Marathon" several times already.
    http://www.bischofshof.de/
    http://www.kneitinger.de
    http://www.spital.de/brauerei/
    http://www.regensburger-weissbrauhaus.de/
    http://www.fuerstlichesbrauhaus.de/

In easy reach from Regensburg are to the West the Prösselbräu Adlersberg and the 3 breweries of the Schwarze Laaber Valley, "Schloßbrauerei Eichhofen", the "Goss" in Deuerling and of course the "Plank" in Laaber. Those last 3 are on an 8 mile stretch along the river (more a creek really but still nice...) and that also is a very nice walk. There's a commuter train roughly following the valley and the stops are in Undorf (about 2 km walk from Eichhofen), in Deuerling (1 km from Goss) and in Laaber (less than 1 km from Plank)
    http://www.adlersberg.com/
    http://www.eichhofener.de/
    Goss doesn't even have a website...
    http://www.brauerei-plank.de/

To the south we have the Berghammer in Oberndorf which can be reached by commuter train to Bad Abbach and then a short 1 km walk and for easy reach that's pretty much it. There's many breweries a bit further down in Kelheim County but you'd need a car to get to all these.
    http://www.brauerei-berghammer.de/

The East and North of Regensburg County are equally bleak but just beyond the border into Schwandorf County there's a really cool brewery in Nittenau with an extremely nice beer garden overlooking the River Regen. Nearby that there's two more breweries in a tiny village called Zell and in Falkenstein. There's a regular bus between the regensburg Central Station and Nittenau but I don't know how often it goes and how well it connects to Zell and Falkenstein.
    http://www.nittenauer-bier.de/index.php
    Schloßbrauerei Schwarzfischer in Zell and Schröttinger-Bräu in Michelsneukirchen don't have a website it seems.

That's it for the immediate vicinity of Regensburg (= a 20 mile circle). If you want to go further there's plenty more of course :)

patto1ro and boddhitree like this.
  16. cu29

Nice info, Stahl.
    Four of the 5 near Regensburg were already on my list for May. I have now added Goss as well.
    Thanks for the train stops, too!
    For me, half the fun of a visit to Germany is planning which breweries or beer gardens to visit.

17. Stahlsturm

You're welcome :) Give me a holler when you're around and I may be able to drop some special places in the mix :)

18. jeebeel

jeebeel Aficionado (210) Texas Jun 17, 2003

Stahl,

Fantastic post - thanks. Will keep this bookmarked for our next trip to Regensburg. Great town.

19. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Stahl -- does Regensburg hold a Frühlingsfest? (apologies that I didn't take the time to go thru all the links -- busy morning)

20. Stahlsturm

The "Frühjahrsdult" is usually 2 weeks in May / June, the Herbstdult is usually in September.

For 2013 the dates are:

Maidult von 9. bis 26. Mai 2013
    Herbstdult vom 23. August bis 08. September 2013

21. steveh

Oh, I wasn't interested in the Herbstdult -- I'd be in Munich then.

KIDDING! ;)

Bierman9 likes this.
  22. Stahlsturm

You still have 6 month to wise up :p

23. steveh

Bet there's a bullet train between Munich and Regensburg -- could probably hit both! :D

24. No, no ICE between München and Regensburg. But there are several direct connections by fast trains (Alex, RE) that take around 1 hr. 20 to 1 hr 30 minutes. Bayernticket is valid on these.

25. Stahlsturm

You don't need a bullet train between those two cities, it's only 100 km, even in heavy traffic a drive of under 1 hour.

26. steveh

(It was a joke -- really.) :Do_O

27. Stahlsturm

You KNOW I'm completely without anything even remotely resembling humor.

28. Not true. I really like this post:

It is only a short period of time before HerrBurgess will chime in with his recommendation to visit Bamburg
    Guess I beat him to it this time... :p

29. steveh

We need to work on this somehow. They've translated the Marx Brothers into German, haven't they? :p

30. Indeed they have. They are published in Taschenbuch form, allerdings with extensive footnoting to "explain" every joke. ;)

31. steveh

HOORAY! For Capt. Spaulding! :D

I suppose the whole "vy-a-duct" joke must get lost in translation. :D

32. cu29

Kyle,
    Do you know the dates of your trip yet?
    I will be in Bayern with a group of travelers from May 9-21. This group's main focus is visiting breweries / brewery taps, and festivals. And "biergärten".
    We are always happy to meet up with fellow German Bier enthusiasts.
    We start off in Munich, then move bravely onward to Amberg, Bamberg, Regensburg, and a final night in Freising (near the Munich airport).

33. Stahlsturm

Amberg isn't THAT bad... No bravery required. Make sure to make a day-trip out to Etzelwang to drink the Pürner Märzen. If I could be arsed to contend in that penis measuring contest otherwise known as "reviewing" that one would get 11 out of 10. Your Märzen experience is not complete without it.

cu29 likes this.
  34. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Advocate (515) Germany Jul 31, 2011

So you're saying my reviews should be shorter? Ha ha, self-zing!

35. steveh

(Never mind that I have 360 reviews -- but I only ever thought I was trying to impress anyone but myself)

36. Stahlsturm

Well, if the shoe fits :p :p :D
    I was generally aiming at those who see a bottle somewhere on a shelf and hastily scribble a review and add it t their "had" list here on BA before they even open it. I've known people like that a-plenty in a different scene (music related) that I play(ed) a somewhat influential role in for the past 2 decades and I found them most annoying there and seeing the same going on here (and likely in every other sub-culture as well) just makes me want to hurl. :)