1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mayflower beers tasting like soap?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by bszern, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I had 2 different (a porter and a dipa) Mayflower beers on 2 different dates at the BBC in Franklin, and they bothh tasted soapy. Has anyone noticed this elsewhere, or is it just me? Mayflower usually makes good beer, so I was shocked.

2. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Were the beers on tap, and if so, did you have any other draft beers at those locations? It's possible that the draft lines were soapy.

3. Or the glassware (happens fairly often)

4. The detergent that BBC uses definitely skews the smell and taste of the beers. That being said, since last years version of Spring Hop, I have detected almost a chlorinated taste to their offerings.

beerbelly72 likes this.
  5. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I drink a lot of Mayflower and haven't noticed any soapiness lately.

6. I have never noticed this from bottled or draft versions of their beers. I wonder fi it was glasses or tap lines that weren't cleaned properly?

Additionally, for what it's worth, Mayflower Porter is the best porter I have ever tasted!

7. Shit if Lord Hobo can't rinse their glasses properly, I have no faith that a BBC would. o_O

8. I would agree with this, spot on. Had high hopes for their Anniversary DIPA but it fell way short me me.

9. They were on tap. I had other beers both nights and they were not soapy. In any case, I emailed Mayflower and told them of the perceived problem.

And the DIPA did fall short...I was disappointed!

10. Had the porter about two weeks ago from the bottle and it was just as good as ever. Was at the brewery about a month ago for one of their weekly tastings and had no problems regarding soapy flavors. The 5th anniv. DIPA was a suprisingly big let down, really struggled to get that one down. Their Porter though is a fantastic brew.

11. Yes I live in San Diego but my parents literally live next to the Mayflower Brewery. I drink Mayflower a good amount (bottles out here and always on draft when home). Never tasted a soapy beer from them. Mayflower's regular line up of beers are simply outstanding. Then you have the Thanksgiving ale, Oatmeal stout and the other seasonals which are wonderful. I love what these guys are doing.

SarahRich25 and Dools9 like this.
  12. Spring Hop is one of my favorites of all time...can't wait until this year's release!

SarahRich25 likes this.
  13. kinopio

kinopio Savant (370) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

I really like Spring Hop and their regular IPA and appreciate their affordability so I was very surprised when the 5th anniversary IPA was mediocre and expensive.

14. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Had the same problem at that BBC with a different brand of brew. Soapy and metallic. They ruined an otherwise solid brew.

15. Report to the brewery, they might be interested. CBC went to investigate when I reported a Red God that tasted infected from dirty line.

16. Update:

After emailing back and forth with 2 staff members of Mayflower (Sarah Richardson and Jeb Moore), they sent a rep to Franklin and concluded that it was an issue with the BBC and their cleanliness, and NOT an issue with the beer. I was very impressed at how quickly they handled this whole incident, and stopped by the brewery yesterday and spoke to them in person. Everybody there was great, and they have a fantastic retail/tasting area. Anyone in the Plymouth area should definitely stop by, it is clear to me that they have a primary focus on making good beer and providing a good customer experience rather then just making money (attention Sam Adams and Harpoon....). Plus, the growler fills are cheaper then I have seen at a lot of other small breweries.

Dools9 likes this.
  17. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Just popped the 5th anny. I understand what you mean about their beers being soapy. It's intensely astringent. Not in a good way. Almost soury, lemon Pledge like.

18. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

OP is talking about the beer on tap I believe. My experience with the bottles does not agree with yours. Haven't had any issues besides not caring for the Autumn Wheat.

19. kleo

kleo Aficionado (210) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2009

I've never had an issue with soapy tasting Mayflower products. The brewery that really introduced me to the taste was Just Beer. Anything remotely pale could be stored in a dark, temp controlled space, with 12 other breweries' products (in one case even someone who contracted on their equipment). Go past two weeks, there was a 50% chance it would pour as soapy foam.

20. Haven't had Spring Hop before (or maybe I had a sample a long time ago) but everyone raves about it so I bought a six pack yesterday and the beer had zero head. It didnt taste very good either. Sort of chemical-like mixed with a very green hop flavor. Is that what it's supposed to be?

21. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (505) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

I got a similar taste from my 6 pack... very disappointed based on the hype from the MA folks.

22. Was there a head on your beers or just some big bubbles? I felt like I was drinking a pour out of a fermenter. Though the fridge I got it from is very cold so that couldve effected the appearance. It still tasted like suck after I let it warm up though.

23. RMoeNay

I had head on my pours, but I poured very aggressively. Had it both cold (fridge set at 45°F) and warm.

24. When they first put it out 2 years ago, it was fully of tasty Citra, and it was a nice beer - in the same spiritual ballpark as Nugget Nectar. Last year they changed up the recipe due to lack of Citra, and it was a very average beer. I haven't had it yet this year, and I don't know what is in it, but the beer geek raving is mostly from the version two years ago.

25. That's the reason i bought it because people told me it was that recipe from two years ago.

26. RMoeNay

Same.... I wish I could compare with the beer from two years ago.

27. I've had two batches of this years spring hop. The 1/30 batch is really very average imo, lots of toasted/caramel malt with a moderate earthy/pine hop character. The 2/13 batch was much more citrusy and aromatic, a better beer really, with more assertive hop character and it reminded me very slightly of NN in smell. The two batches are from my tastes, a bit different from one another. Almost like they screwed it up a bit on the first go, and then corrected themselves the second time around. That being said, the Porter is still the best beer they make imo.