1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

MBC lil one

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by T-RO, Feb 6, 2013.

1. T-RO

T-RO Savant (350) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Just saw this was released today, anyone know anything about it?
    Thanks

2. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I'll be the first to say that it is probably too expensive.

3. It's $7.75ish a bottle in Portland. Drinking one right now and it's a really good, really interesting beer. Made with the same quality of their other beers. It's what you'd expect a brewery who loves hops as much as they do to make for their winter seasonal. Very hop forward but with a lot more malt and abv then anything else they've made.

T-RO likes this.
  4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I'll try it - hell I'll try anything they make. Good beer, cheesy motto.

5. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Had it on tap at Thirsty Pig last week and I'd say it's kinda like Zoe on steroids. Bottles came out yesterday, about $8 each. Honestly, I was expecting higher so that was pleasant surprise I guess

6. "Zoe on Steroids" is a pretty good description.

Its amazing that this beer coming in at $8 a bottle is a "pleasant" surpirse(I thought it'd be more too). That comes out to be $34.00 a six pack.

7. Cracked open a bottle last night. Phenomenal beer.

We too thought double Zoe. Typical MBC hop aroma and flavor profile, just taken to a whole new level. I'm happy to pay $7 a bottle, and this one won't be around long as they only made one batch.

Best hoppy beer brewed in Maine. Ever.

8. emannths

emannths Savant (435) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Setting the bar high, are we? ;)

9. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

halfshell and Jnorton00 like this.
  10. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

But a standard 6-pack isn't 101.4 ounces.

11. emannths

emannths Savant (435) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

True. And 6 $8-beers isn't $34.

12. $8.00/16.9 oz = 47 cents per oz

.47 x 12oz per beer x 6 beers = $34.08

13. It is kinda funny that we willingly fork over $8 for a brand new beer from MBC but scowl at $8 bottles of KBS.

LostTraveler and Chowdahead like this.
  14. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (715) New York Dec 2, 2009

i'd pay $8 for a 500ml bottle of KBS. also would pay $8 for a zoe-like "DIPA" from MBC.

i don't buy MBC regularly due to price and freshness issues, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

tehzachatak likes this.
  15. I can't think of another hoppy beer brewed in Maine that I have enjoyed more. MO is up there for me as a top APA, I'm a huge fan of Lunch, and Can't Dog is a really solid DIPA. The closest would have to be the DIPA pilot batch that MBC released for Portland Beer week this year. Dan said that was more of a 5 gal homebrew type experiment, and seemed as though it could benefiit from some fine tuning. Damn fine experiment though.

Lil One simply raises the bar, especially for fans of DIPAs.

I would put it up against VT's trinity for hopped goodness. Heady is king for me, and anything hoppy that Shawn brews is unreal, but I liked the Lil One better than anything I've had from Lawson's, including Double Sunshine.

16. millionsuns

millionsuns Savant (275) Maine Dec 6, 2008

Has anyone seen this around Portland in the last few days? Was out of the country last week and missed the release...thanks!

17. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

As far as I can tell: No.

Might be some bottles at Novare? Retail went quick.

18. I had one at mamas crowbar on saturday night

19. benbking

benbking Savant (320) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

i'm drinking one right now, and i dig the malt. I might see if i can find another tomorrow.

20. I just had Captain Kool IPA from Geaghan's in Bangor, very delicious and on the strong end for a regular IPA. Kept thinking of Pliney the Elder while I finished off a 32oz growler of it, sadly when I was up there today they had kicked but should be returning soon. I was told they're coming out with a stronger version called Double Kool in March.

21. T-RO

T-RO Savant (350) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Sounds good, maybe should be its own thread?