1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

MBCo Lil One

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by MVP09, Feb 8, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Anyone get some from Julios? Just had one wow! My thoughts, Turbo Lunch!!!

2. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Nah, that's Dinner. (presumably)

3. MVP09

Seems like not too many people have tried. Wanted to hear people's reactions. I think it's right up there with Lunch.

4. I really digging this brew - drinking it now actually. IMO - nothing like Lunch. Hopped up Zoƫ would be a better comparison...

5. MVP09

Never the less another great beer from MBC

6. The hops are awesome. Actually also reminded me a bit of Bolt Cutter but the hops work much better.

Really enjoyed it, wish I bought more.

7. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (160) Maine May 22, 2012

Out of curiosity how much did Julios have... was there a limit?

8. Not from Julio's, Carl's in Kittery and it's pretty damn good! Untappd has it as a Winter Ale, and BA has it as a Strong Ale. I'm leaning towards Strong Ale...

9. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Overheard the brewer call it a imperialized version of a Winter ale at the release party in Portland

smutty33 likes this.
  10. had one last night. Super hoppy and tasty. I think it is one that HAS to be drank fresh.

11. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Where can this be found in ME? We dont have it in Augusta.

12. MVP09

No limits at Julio's. I got 3 bottles and 3 were left. Is it seasonal? If it is then supplies might be limited which kinda sucks. Downed 2 bottles during Nemo and now I want more. Hope they made enough to supply a lot of New England stores

13. Lukaduke

Not sure if anyone has any left... In southern maine Id check RSVP and Downeast Bev. as I know Bier Cellar blew through his allotment in a day.

14. Lukaduke

Not likely to get more when it's gone.... seems as if it was a pretty small batch. I know of 2 kegs that were supplied in the greater portland area and 60 something cases. Wishing they just kept it in Maine being that we sold out in a day locally... don't get me wrong its a good beer but there is some false hype because they make so little. But maybe when they move into their new digs they will ease these issues.

15. Drinking one now. I wouldn't call this Zoe on steroids or amped-up Lunch. This is like something in between a malt-forward DIPA and a hoppy barleywine. Classification aside, it is a damn good beer. Love the nose on this. Good hop/malt balance, but it drinks like a 6% beer. Dangerously goood. Cheers!

16. Anyone seeing any variation from bottle to bottle? Nothing bad just seems like the first one i had was a bit hoppier. I was drunk though lol

17. Having mine tonight, will report back.

18. I hate to be the downer in the group but i had it like three days ago and was really disappointed with it. I love everything by MBC, and pretty much peg Zoe as my favorite beer, but I just didn't get any complexity out of Lil One. To me it kind of tasted like and overly alcoholic Celebration by SN, which I find weird in comparison with everyone else's descriptions (yes yes, I know, everyone's palate is different). Perhaps I had a bad bottle, though my friend got a bottle too and both tasted about the same... I'm curious to hear more about the variation between bottles, has anyone had multiple bottles of it yet?

TheMonkfish likes this.
  19. I feel more or less the same way. I also only had one bottle. I thought it was totally drinkable, but I didn't think it was particularly great, and I tend to love MBC despite the pricepoint.

20. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Been holding off on posting since I thought I was literally the only one who didn't like this stuff. Not a good beer by any standards let alone MBC.

ChickenSandwichCarl likes this.
  21. Im agreeing that is probably my least favorite of their offerings. Not much going on with this right now. I havent had any other beers tonight so it isnt like my taste buds are torched.

22. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

I've had it on tap and twice from the bottle. Each experience was different. First (tap) - Zoe on steroids. Second - maltier, hops more akin to the ones in Mo. Last night - hops gave off a honey-dew melon flavor which was interesting, but already a much different beer from just two weeks ago

23. Ball Square Fine Wine's in Somerville has a good amount of them. Had one last night. Doesn't really compare to lunch in my opinion. Much more malt forward than their other offerings.

24. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Aficionado (105) Vermont Aug 16, 2011

Mine last night had that same honey-dew melon flavor.

25. Maybe some bottles got infected with this year's Nugget Nectar :rolleyes:

Goldfishman likes this.
  26. Not exactly regretting the case i bought, but its not as good as I thought it was when I had it on tap for the release. I wouldn't go so far as to say its "not a good beer by any standard" but its not holding up on multiple tastings.

27. Unlike this 2/19 Lunch which is killing it.

28. Anyone else get a bubble gum flavor?

29. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

This is pretty much what I thought as well - I thought it had a slightly thicker mouthfeel and more pronounced aroma and flavor hop presence than SN but it was really close. Good call sir!

30. Just bought a bottle for $10. This thing better be dam good...

31. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

:eek:

LiquidCourage likes this.
  32. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

lol

AdamP likes this.
  33. It's not. And yes, I paid the $10 like a fool as well. They need to calm the hell down with their prices. Makes absolutely no sense. I think they think they are better than they really are or something.

34. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

It's not MBC making it $10. It was more like $7 in Maine. Blame your distributors and retailers for the other $3.

35. Sure. I don't think it's really just the distributors and retailers. Their beer is sitting all over the shelves and not moving all over MA/RI. So maybe they should only sell in Maine then if it's a $3 difference? I don't know.

36. Can we please not do this again? Thanks.

Trevdawg likes this.
  37. xhcadamx

xhcadamx Initiate (0) Maine Nov 23, 2007

This beer did not live up to the Maine Beer Co. hype train. Although I have heard there is a bit of bottle variation going on. A brewery with bottle variation doesn't deserve to be on any train yet alone a hype train.

38. 8.50ish per bottle in MA.

39. I almost went back to the store to return it. Actually, I'll give the beer a fair shake tomorrow when I open it. Lunch was very good when I had it, Peeper was just ok.

However, even if its really good, I cant see myself buying the bottle with any regularity considering all the better price options.

davey101 likes this.
  40. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Agreed. I grabbed a Lunch today just because its a week old and is new in CT. After trying the whole lineup while living in MA I never found myself buying it more than once. What a supermodel Zoe is though, it pains me to look at her on a stores shelf.....so sexy but, so beyond my reach of sanity.

jlordi12 likes this.