1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

McEwan's Scotch Ale

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jimsmasonry, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traditionally the Scots only used the name "Scotch Ale" outside Scotland; within the country itself it was sold as "Strong Ale"
    There's a danger of confusing names with styles particularly regarding beers which have been round long enough to be called different things at different places and different times :)
  2. if you're looking for something similar try Belhaven Scotch Ale or Broughton's Old Jock. Not trying to sound like Debbie Downer but don't hold your breath waiting for some of these less well known British Isles beers coming back to our shores. After Youngs and Wells merged they seemed to have dropped Special London from being imported over here, my wife loved Beamish Stout, Heinekin bought them and stopped importing into the US. Not to mention MacAndrews Scotch Ale (circa 1998, once brewed by Caledonian Brewing Company, now owned by Heinekin or is it now Wells/Youngs.....) that stopped being imported into the US.

See a pattern here?

Fact is these European brewers just don't want to export their products, they just like to tease us.
  3. jimsmasonry

jimsmasonry Disciple (55) Mar 8, 2012

That's a tough one. I finally had to just make my own version. I have not heard any good news recently on getting our hands on some. As I said above there is a Bellhaven Scotitish ale but it is fairly watered down compared to Scotch ale and isn't really much like the McEwans at all.
    Sorry, Jim.
  4. McEwanObsessed

McEwanObsessed Initiate (15) Oct 17, 2012

Thank you for the suggestions. We will keep trying to find something that appeals to him just the same and enjoy some good beers along the way.
  5. Spreee

Spreee Aspirant (25) May 2, 2012

The latest from Wells & Young's Twitter today about McEwan's coming back says "could be beginning of 2013?" You can tweet them directly about it @WellsAndYoung . As I told them, the sooner the better! In the meantime, I've found the Bellhaven Wee Heavy is a close substitute. Not exactly the same, but certainly very tasty.
  6. I've been lurking this site for at least 6 months now because it provides a wealth of knowledge about a topic that, until maybe 5 years ago, I thought was fairly one-dimensional. Then I discovered McEwan's Scotch Ale in Ontario. When I returned to beautiful BC in 2010, like most of you, I discovered that MSA was no longer imported into North America. Since then, and most recently during the last 9 months, I've made it my mission to find a replacement for this great beer. And while I found a local beer (Riley's Scotch Ale, from Buckersfield Brewery here in Victoria BC) that may be very close, I dug a little deeper and e-mailed Wells & Young's about 6 weeks ago to get the scoop on whether MSA would again be imported back into NA. Earlier posts in this thread seem to suggest hope, but the time frames mentioned have come and gone with no satisfaction. So I include below an e-mail chain from what I can only assume to be some top brass within the W&Y organization and hope that (as many of you folks did in Apr/May) their plan for MSA comes to pass:

My query through the W&Y website, 15 September 2012:
    Reply from Tom Pamment, 17 September 2012:
    My follow-up response, 17 September 2012:

Tom's reply, 19 September 2012:

So, as you can see, he makes predictions similar to those made earlier in the year. And while these could also fall flat, the fact that senior people (management) continue to make ANY sort of statements about the future of McEwan's Scotch Ale lends credence to their good intentions, regardless of shifting time frames. Of course, don't hitch all your hopes and dreams on these statements; let's just wait and see......
  7. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Nice gumshoe work but...."lesser individuals"??
    dude.
  8. Really??
    "Dude" yourself.... LOL
    It's obvious within the context of the e-mail what was meant. On that basis I would find it hard to stretch the meaning into something untoward.

No real mystery, some people within a company have more clout/info/influence. Based on their titles and apparent spheres of influence, I presupposed that the company reps making comments back in March 2012 might not be as high up the W&Y food chain as the guy I corresponded with..... get it? "Lesser" within the company.... What did YOU think it meant??
  9. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Yeah I get it. I'm good. Just thought it was odd terminology. You knew exactly what you meant I'm sure. I don't think you've done any damage, don't worry. They'll still carry through with what they were planning with this beer.
  10. Shuley

Shuley Initiate (20) Nov 16, 2012

I love McKewans too, and signed up so I can follow this post.

Claymore Scotch Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company is my current friend/replacement.
  11. I like McEwans Champion (our domestic version) a lot, it's cheap, consistent and tasty.

My favourite easily available ones are Traquair House Ale, Orkney SkullSplitter and Broughton Old Jock
  12. Any further news on this from anyone? I have another inquiry into Wells & Young on their latest plans, haven't heard back yet.

It's more than a week into January 2013. Thirsty.
  13. Yes, a lovely dark beer. Knowing the lamentable quality of most of McEwans beer it came as a bit of a shock to try their Champion.Whether it's a Scotch Ale I'm not sure though.
  14. jimsmasonry

No news but I just cracked open a bottle of my own version of it last night. Yummy!
  15. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Mor like a Burton, isn't it?
  16. Shuley

Shuley Initiate (20) Nov 16, 2012

I just recieve the below email from Tom Pamment at Wells and Youngs!!! There is hope.

Thank you for contacting us about the re-release of McEwans Scotch Ale, it's a beer with many fans in the US and the anticipation has clearly been growing as the months up to it's return have gone on. I'm pleased to say that the rumours are true, Scotch Ale is making a comeback - it's first production run in it's new home will be in the next couple of months and it will be heading straight to the USA.
    I've put the website of our importer, Belukus Marketing Inc., below for you as they have an excellent product-finder that can help you find the nearest place that stocks our beers - including McEwans Scotch soon!

http://www.belukus.com/locator.asp
  17. Oh... WHEN will I be able to enjoy the fine taste of a McEwan's Scotch Ale? I have been following the forums for months now, writing to Belukus, writing to my local stores, telling others in the biz about it's return ( a Total Wine and More agent said, "I didn't hear anything about that. I love that stuff!)

Life just hasn't been the same without...

My only hope is that Wells & Young understand what rabid fans they are dealing with. Better start making another batch now...
  18. peter831

peter831 Zealot (95) California Dec 2, 2012

had one in Belize 5 days ago. Had not seen one for a long time.

19. Nothing very newsworthy, but figured i would report that I also got my McEwans email this morning from Tom, in reply to an inquiry I sent in early January --

Thank you for contacting us about the re-release of McEwans Scotch Ale, it's a beer with many fans in the US and Canada and the anticipation has clearly been growing as the months up to it's return have gone on. I'm pleased to say that the rumours are true, Scotch Ale is making a comeback - it's first production run in it's new home will be in the next couple of months and it will be heading straight to the USA.

I've put the website of our importer, Belukus Marketing Inc., below for you as they have an excellent product-finder that can help you find the nearest place that stocks our beers - including McEwans Scotch soon!

http://www.belukus.com/locator.asp

Thank you again and all the best,

Kind Regards

Tom

International Sales & Operations Coordinator

[email protected]

Office: +44 (0)1234 242 872
  20. fuztupnz

fuztupnz Initiate (10) May 24, 2013

Just got official word from Wells and Youngs on their Twitter that McEwan's is back in the U.S.! They are working on sending it out now! Rejoice!
    stooge likes this.
  21. jimsmasonry

WOOHOO.

Thanks fuztupnz.

It's been over a year that I opened this thread.

The test is will theirs be as good as mine? ;)
  22. NICE, now work on bringing back Youngs Special London.
  23. jimsmasonry

Never had the Young's Special London but it's a great name (makes me want to try it).
  24. We had it on cask at a beer festival a few years ago.Lovely stuff, and as there was still some left over I took home 10 pints of it. One of the perks of being a volunteer :)
  25. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (265) Colorado May 31, 2011

I picked up a 4-pack yesterday, and I liked it more than I remembered (it's probably bee 18 years or so since I've had it). It is a really easy-drinker.
  26. stooge

stooge Savant (265) Michigan Feb 22, 2012

Excellent news, can't wait until product arrives in Michigan!
  27. we use to see the Young's Special London in the pint bottle prior to the Wells merger, now all we see in the greater Boston/new England area is the Waggle Dance and that horrid Banana muck....every time you drink a banana beer a kitten gets killed
  28. jimsmasonry

Nice!
  29. jimsmasonry

30. jimsmasonry

Lol
  31. jimsmasonry

Who was carrying it? I am in N.M.
  32. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (265) Colorado May 31, 2011

It was at Superior Liquor in Superior Colorado. I wasn't looking for it, but saw it as I was about to grab a bomber of something else. I suspect it will be widely available soon. Look for it in the import section.
  33. jimsmasonry

Thanks FarmerTed. Yeah, I guess I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve wondering "What if Santa doesn't come?" :) No Superior Liquor's here but I'm sure I could go it and buy it in a manner of twenty minutes if I had to. Funny, my (almost) ex-wife had a hog and potato farmer uncle in the San Louis Valley up until a few years ago. Now his wife and two children run it.
  34. fuztupnz

Anyone spotted McEwan's in the wild yet? Nothing here in Ohio but it's gotta be getting close. I've only got 1 bottle left that I've been saving so I never truly run out. Opened a bottle last October and it still tasted great, though it had lost some carbonation.
  35. fuztupnz

36. Sorry... I blacked out reading this thread, and as I awoke, swore I heard angels singing Beethoven's 9th in between my sobs of joy...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.