1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mega Micro Merger?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (310) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Just a thought. What two microbreweries would you like to see merge to form a mega microbrewery?!!! But then would it still be a microbrewery? And is a mega microbrewery an oximoron? Appreciate you thoughts.
  2. As long as they stay below 6 million barrels per year it would be still considered a 'micro' brewery. I believe that is the threshold that separates the micro from the macro.
    Ale Smith and Allagash. Ale smith with their great IPA's and Stouts and Allagash with their expertise with Belgian Beers. Would be a great merger.
    jglowe77 and 19etz55 like this.
  3. Russian River and Jacks Abby. I think they could literally make every kind of beer imaginable in world class style. (Lagers + ales + wilds/sours = win)

Alchemist/HF and Sierra Nevada. Mass produce those IPAs/DIPAs.
    PatriotsRule and 19etz55 like this.
  4. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

How about Founders and Bell's? Imagine Hopslam and the trio of stouts (KBS, CBS, FBS) being merged from two breweries in one state. Those are just the special releases. The regular line up and seasonals are dam good too.
  5. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

I think 6 million barrels is the Brewers Association's limit for a brewery to be a "craft" brewery. Microbrewery just means a really small brewery; though now a days, microbrewery is sort of becoming a synonym for craft brewery.

Semantics aside, how about Great Lakes and Russian River? Awesome year-round lineup that covers all the style bases, incredible IPAs, BBA stout, sours galore, and Belgians, plus Great Lakes' wide-ranging distribution. Talk about a super brewery.
    Ri0, 19etz55 and nyyfanatic213 like this.
  6. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Three Floyds and Surly?
  7. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

How about Hopslam with one of those stouts in a black and tan sort of way
    19etz55 likes this.
  8. Russian River and Victory. RR in charge of ales and Victory in charge of lagers.
    19etz55 likes this.
  9. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

This would be amazing too.
  10. This is a tread that has no basis.
    ESeab, Duff27 and MarcatGSB like this.
  11. How so? What's so wrong with just pulling crazy fun ideas out of your ass?
  12. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

That's pretty nice.

I think FFF & RR would be decent ! Doh
    19etz55 and mcrago like this.
  13. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (310) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I'm going to go with Sam Adams and Dogfish Head. Sammy has come out with a ton of new brews in the last so many years. And Dogfish is always looking to experiment and come out with different brews.
  14. Well there is that...
  15. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada would probably squish and squash everybody's azz.
  16. I see where you're coming from, I just enjoy this type of stuff. It's kind of like fantasy football for beer geeks.
    ESeab and 19etz55 like this.
  17. You that up on notgoingtohappen.com.
  18. OK I get it. Total BS. Carry on.
    victory4me likes this.
  19. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

Cigar City & Odell
    Hills Farmstead & lagunitas
    AleSmith & Sierra Nevada
    Russian River & Thunderhead
    New Glarus & Goose Island
  20. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

maybe. But I never thought I'd live to see the day when Budweiser and Beck's were owned by the same corporation. Hey, I just awoke from a deep REM and I don't know what's real or imagined!
  21. Anchor and Sierra Nevada - 2 of the OG craft brewers combining forces to crank out even more tasty, reasonably priced beers.
  22. Why would any of those be good combinations?
  23. Perhaps I missed the point of this thread.
  24. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

Sierra Nevada and Hill Farmstead.
    SN ia the craft masters of high quality production and distribution.
    HF is the master of the craft of beer making.
    Put them together and everyone in the US will be enjoying this goodness.
    19etz55 likes this.
  25. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

FFF and Surly
    Stone and DFH
    Victory and Troegs
    Ballast Point and Green Flash
    The Bruery and Firestone Walker
    Deschutes and Bell's
    Russian River and Allagash
    Hopportunistic and 19etz55 like this.
  26. You're kind of missing that each of those two has a competing brew that is in the same class. Double Trouble, Java Stout, and Black Note overlap the ones you named above (save CBS). Add in the fact that their year-round IPAs are both all-Centennial (Two Hearted, Centennial), and they both make excellent APAs and Porters, and it's really not a good match at all. Add in that they are located 50 miles from each other and have a lot of overlap in their current distribution, and it gets even worse. But then, most of the ideas on this thread haven't been very well-thought out, so you're not alone.
    hopfenunmaltz and victory4me like this.
  27. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (215) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Second the FFF and Surly...with everything available in 16oz cans.
  28. Stone and rogue. THAT would be a powerhouse in the craft beer world.

Stone collaborates with lots of other brewers though, so I guess it wouldn't be necessary. Have they collaborated with rogue yet?
    19etz55 likes this.
  29. Why be a dousche?
  30. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Seems to me the ideal candidates would be smaller/ regional microbreweries that have limited distribution and a core series of beers that is small or only has a few good beers and some mediocre ones. Keeping those criteria in mind I would like to see Harpoon (Boston) and Shipyard (Portland, ME) merge, hire a new brewmaster of Garret Jones caliber and revamp most of their lineup. Shipyard IPA and Export Ale could be radically overhauled or dumped. I would like them to end up with a liineup of styles something like this:

English Pale Ale
    Extra Special Bitter
    English IPA
    English Porter
    Irish Dry Stout
    Scotch Ale
    Irish Red Ale
    Bohemian Pilsner
    Kolsch style Summer Ale
    UFO
    Oktoberfest
    Winter Warmer
    19etz55 likes this.
  31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

None. I can just see the chaos.."I'm the head brewer", "no, I'm the head brewer". ;)
  32. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

cigar city and russian river.

imagine the beers and wilds that would come out.
    thecraftculture likes this.
  33. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (480) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

19etz55 and Bitterbill like this.
  34. rlcoffey

Seems like a real bad idea. One of Two hearted and Centennial would have to go away.

Also, not exactly a merger of equals, they are radically differently sized breweries.

Between 2010 and 2011, Bell's grew by more barrels than Founders made in 2010.
  35. rlcoffey

Its already happened ... Pyramid and Magic Hat merged in about 2008.
  36. Imagine the sour goodness to come out of Crooked Stave and Hill Farmstead!
  37. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Won't be long before Founders out produces Bell's...
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

It may have happened but I'm still firmly against mergers.
  39. rlcoffey

Yes it will be.

Bells was 181k in 2011, Founders was 41k. Yes, Founders is growing faster but that will slow down when they get closer to Bells in size. Bells grew 17% in 2011, vs 67% for Founders, but that wont last forever. And despite the much larger growth RATE for Founders, Bells grew 26k in 2011, Founders only grew 16k. So the gap actually got larger, in pure barrel terms.

There seems to be a very common misconception on BA about the size of Founders.
    beerindex likes this.