1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mega Micro Merger?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Hill Farmstead and Cantillon. The trade scene would change dramatically overnight due to the massive collective coronary that tickers everywhere would undoubtedly suffer.
  2. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I didnt say it was a good thing, just that it has happened (and will happen going forward).
  3. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

GI and AB/InBe.... Oh Wait :(
  4. Sierra Nevada and dfh are collaborating in real life!
    19etz55 likes this.
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Founders will produce around 180,000 by the end of this year, and 320,000+ by 2015, surpassing Bell's.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, it happened but it didn't affect me much as I'm not a fan of either brewery but I still hope mergers are something my favourite brewers consider out of the question.
  7. Mark, Bells probably made close to 250K last year, and the brewery can crank out 800k, more tanks may be needed and they have the room for that with the land they own. I has been a while since I was at Founder to look around the area, but they eventually will be land locked, or will have to purchase new property.

Just saying that Bells is not standing still.
    19etz55 likes this.
  8. MarcatGSB

Ahh yes, I forgot about the limitations they have NOW because of fermentation vessels, not by brew capacity. It sounds like they are expecting some huge vessels within the next year or so. Thanks for reminding me.
    Edit: Bell's that is.
    19etz55 likes this.
  9. Founders has 30 and 50 bbl brewhouse.
    Bells has 50 and 200 bbl at Galesburg, and also still has the 15 bbls system at the cafe. Bells owns the land to the west of the Galesburg brewery up to the next building, which is their offices. One of the guys at the open house said they can keep adding tanks for a long time.

Edit - Founders growth has been impressive. I think only second to Ninkasi as far as growth rate.
    19etz55 likes this.
  10. MarcatGSB

Talked to someone that mentioned Bell's is looking at installing some 400 bbl and down the road 800 bbl fermentors. That's incredible, if true.
    19etz55 likes this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Founders, Maine Brewing, and Capital.

That way you could have Breakfast Stout, Lunch IPA, and Supper Club Lager all in the same mix pack.
    19etz55, djsmith1174 and mkabull like this.
  12. They had a lot of 400s at the Galesburg site. When they built the new brewhouse they put in 14 new 400s with a shallow bottom cone, and they dry hop beers like 2 hearted in these. 800s would be a new size for Bells, but Sierra Nevada has about 50 of those in Chico for reference.

Edit - going bigger on tanks is really cost effective. Same engineering and same number of parts, you just buy more stainless.
    19etz55 and MarcatGSB like this.
  13. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Good choices. Unfortunately Goose Island was bought out by AB (Anheuser-Busch) InBEV.
  14. 19etz55

The last one I hope doesn't work in that Goose Island was bought out by AB InBev (Anheuser-Busch) which is the anti-microbeer company. It's the GIANT that I believe wants to buy up every brewery they can. Especially micros. They might be afraid that the micro-breweries might cut into their share of the U. S. beer market which is I believe at 39%! Check out article.
    http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2013/02/doj-big-beer-were-cutting-you
  15. 19etz55

16. Great Lakes & Southern Tier
    19etz55 likes this.
  17. Just thinking what happened when Youngs merged with Charles Wells.It didn't take long for the two brewers to "rationalise" their products; no point in brewing two beers in the same category is there?The result was a loss of many rather nice beers.
    hopfenunmaltz and Bitterbill like this.
  18. Any mix of Hill Farmstead, Russian River, Three Floyd's
  19. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

^^
    Both very interesting ideas.
  20. 2beerdogs

I'm thinking Stone with the Bruery. You get the strong IPA/APA traditions of Stone, as well as well priced RIS, coupled with massive production and distribution. And from the Bruery, so much more of the Belgian traditions, as well as off-centered creativity, and let's not forget Black Tuesday & Chocolate Rain more readily available.:D
  21. 2beerdogs

Or even a douche? ;)
  22. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Jester King and Hills Farmstead.

23. Oh we definitely need another brewery that makes those beers.
  24. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

The last one was thrown out in jest. GI is ABInbev and New Glarus seems to be very anti macro, so I paired them :)

Cigar City & Odell (Both regional powerhouses)
    Hills Farmstead (Quality) & Lagunitas (Distribution & Price)
    AleSmith (Quality) & Sierra Nevada (Distribution)
    Russian River (PtY) & Thunderhead (Local to me)
    New Glarus & Goose Island (Opposites attract right?)
  25. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I guess it depends on how you want to define "powerhouse" or "regional", but I would think Sweetwater is more the powerhouse of that region.
  26. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

Then you should have suggested a Sweetwater / Odell pairing :)
  27. There is a winner and a loser in most mergers. The flights of internet fantasy would have many of the favorite beers vanish when the brewer leaves when he no longer has a say, and the product line is rationalized.

When New Albion went under, Jack McAuliffe went to Mendicino brewing to brew on his old equipment. He did not last long as he said he was used to being the Captain, not a deck hand.

Remember that consolidation is what got the beer industry in the US to the current state of the BMCs. Enjoy the diversity while we have it.
  28. That would be interesting. They're both San Diego, CA companies that produce IPAs that I really enjoy. I don't live or work there, but I wonder how those companies feel about each other.
    19etz55 likes this.
  29. 19etz55

Gotcha!
  30. zestd

zestd Savant (345) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Imagine the monstrosity of a Dogfish Head/Rogue merger.

Try this 120 Minute Butt Yeast Circumcised Whale IPA!
    beertunes likes this.
  31. 19etz55

Two of my favs!
  32. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

As long as the resultant brewery is located in North Dakota, it doesn't matter to me.
    19etz55 likes this.